PDA

View Full Version : new tank cycle and test results

miniz2k6
03/12/2011, 08:05 PM
Hey all. I just set up a 27 gallon cube with 30 pounds of sand. 30 pounds of Marco dry rock the dry rock and sand have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now after being in a 5 gallon bucket of ro/Di with a powerhead for 2 days. I just put a 3 lb live rock from the lfs in about 30 minutes ago. I tested ammonia at 0 nitrite at 5 ppm and nitrate at 40 ppm. Salinity is 1.025 I made the mistake of not testing before I added the 3 lb live rock there is no livestock obviously. do these readings sound like there where they need to be at the moment? I will test again tomorrow evening and update. thanks for any input

miniz2k6
03/12/2011, 09:27 PM
Bumpity bump........

dots
03/12/2011, 10:23 PM
Your going to have a little bit of die off from the new rock. Basically, because your still adding rock, your at square one again.

When your done adding stuff, wait until the ammonia is zero for two to three weeks. After that do a number of WC's and get the Nitrates down.

Patience is the key here, and don't add anything more if your done adding rock.

Michael
03/12/2011, 11:59 PM
as the rock and sand were dead I doubt they have even started to cycle yet after 3 weeks, I would have thought 6-8 weeks for this to occur with dead rock, you may see some activity in there now you have added an ammonia source though.