PDA

View Full Version : Top phantom 110 on 125g tank

lembow
03/12/2011, 08:42 PM
Has anyone used this type of skimmer? I feel like my water is a bit cloudy even while using this skimmer so that's why I ask.

Please let me know.

Thx

slief
03/12/2011, 09:19 PM
I had a top fathom TF-500. If yours has the adjustable standpipe, I would get rid of it and use a gate valve at the outlet. The other thing I would do is give Mezzei a call and get a new venturi injector from them that matches your pumps output at its actual headlevel. If you do those two things, the Top Fathom will work very well. I found that the Mezzei injectors created much better and more controllable air injection than the original venturis that come with the TF skimmers. Having the gate valve instead of the stand pipe makes it easier to dial in the skimmers water level.

If your water is cloudy, it is likely micro bubbles. If so, your either overdriving the skimmer or your skimmers outlet is too close to your return pump or both.

lembow
03/12/2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info I will try that.

I thought it was to close to my return also, so I added a media bag to the outlet on the skimmer but still so I added some rock in the area by the return to block it and its still the same.

Maybe I am overdriving it, I will have to see about the other thingy.

lembow
03/13/2011, 12:05 PM
How can I tell if my pump is overdriving or not??

slief
03/13/2011, 07:44 PM
Look up the specs for the pump at the maximum level of the water in the skimmer.
That skimmer is rated for 120-200GPH so the I would target a pump around 200GPH at the max water height of your skimmer +24" to make up to increased headpressure from the plumbing. See how that works. If you want to really improve the performance, get a mezzei injector rated for 200-300GPH.

Keep in mind that your skimmer is only rated to a 100G tank. You are 25% over that not including your sump. Anything you do to improve that skimmer would be a very good thing.

lembow
03/13/2011, 07:48 PM
Thx slief I appreciate it. I think I'm going to replace skimmer....I turned it off to see if bubbles leave and they did....so I'm going to get something better.