PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce a rbta to my tank

bpledger84
03/12/2011, 10:29 PM
Im intrested in knowing the acclimation process for a RBTA? Im going to purchase one at the end of this month and want to have everything lined out so i know exactly what to do. Can anyone help me out??

mike810
03/12/2011, 11:29 PM
acclimate them like u would any other invert..with a slow drip method

steelhead77
03/13/2011, 02:13 AM
IMO, DON'T use the drip method. Way too much hassle for no benefit.

Float it in your tank in the bag it comes in to temp acclimate it for about 20 minutes. Then dump 1/2 the water out of the bag and replace with your tank water. About 20 minutes later, do the same thing. About 20 minutes later, do the same thing. About 20 minutes later, take it out of the bag and put it in your tank.

These creatures are pretty resilient. Don't make things harder than they need to be.

mike810
03/13/2011, 08:35 AM
IMO, DON'T use the drip method. Way too much hassle for no benefit.

Float it in your tank in the bag it comes in to temp acclimate it for about 20 minutes. Then dump 1/2 the water out of the bag and replace with your tank water. About 20 minutes later, do the same thing. About 20 minutes later, do the same thing. About 20 minutes later, take it out of the bag and put it in your tank.

These creatures are pretty resilient. Don't make things harder than they need to be.

How is it too much of a hassle with no benefit? You setup an airline hose and start a drip and leave it till the bag fills up. The way you suggest to do it takes more work.

Your process could very well shock the anemone if the water parameters differ greatly from the tank water.

To the OP, google anemone acclimation and you will find that 99% of the people will tell you to drip your anemone like you would your other inverts...Snails, crabs etc....

spartyblaze
03/13/2011, 08:52 AM
+1 on the drip method. I am never sure what people mean when they talk about it being difficult. I also would cut your powerheads and take a look to see if you feed like any of them might be a danger to your new friend when you turn them back on. They are incredibly resilient, but rbta tartar is not a dish most people like to come home too!

Bamm Bamm
03/13/2011, 09:53 AM
I put one in my tank the other day floated it for a bit and threw it in.. It's doing great it came out of my buddies tank

Reef1589
03/13/2011, 10:32 AM
i just bought a RBTA yesturday, let it float in my tank for about 20-30 minutes to get the tank temp..

i then poured ALL my water into a bucket.. (out of the bag) along with the RBTA, setup a drip line, i let it drip acclamate for about 45 minutes.. and the RBTA is doing great so far, pretty sure it already found its home on a new rock, looks good..
this is by far the easiest i think..

i let the drip run walked away made some food, ate, came back when i felt it was good and inspected it, looked happy, put it in :) doesnt get any easier then that.

rysher
03/13/2011, 03:20 PM
Drip acclimation can kill
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974101&highlight=drip

philip_r5
03/13/2011, 03:57 PM
Don't need to drip them. Just put bag in tank so it gets about same temp. 30mins or so. Dump contents into your tank. Place where you would like. (as long as it isn't near top of tank(bright lighting) ). I have one thats been in tank a month to date now.

Picture when place in tank.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/philip_r5/Fish%20Tank/DSCF0582.jpg

Picture of it now

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/philip_r5/Fish%20Tank/DSCF0731.jpg

Video with Ocellaris Clown swimming in it.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/philip_r5/Fish%20Tank/th_DSCF0723.jpg (http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/philip_r5/Fish%20Tank/?action=view&current=DSCF0723.mp4)

Night shot of it

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/philip_r5/RBTANight.png

Sfork
03/13/2011, 06:55 PM
lol really? Dump the contents into your tank? Worst advice ever. I don't drip acclimate either but you should never dump LFS/strangers water into your tank.

philip_r5
03/13/2011, 08:18 PM
Your experience my experience. IMO it introduces different kinds of bacteria to your tank. The only thing I don't care about it when I do it is the Crap literally that is in the bag.

Reef1589
03/13/2011, 11:20 PM
Pretty much, there is going to be no right...way to introduce it to your tank is what everyones saying haha :) soo goodluck :D

pick a way you feel most comfortable with, im sure everyone has their own way, and it may work for them, may not work for others, i to have done the bag in the water trick, while slowly letting water into the bag... honestly though rbta is the first thing ive ever drip acclamated and i got posotive results and i was happy with it :)

but again, everyone has there own view on things, each way may not be the best in the persons eyes, but it may work, depends on the speciman you got, and how picky it is, and how lucky you are :)

so agian, Hope everything goes well :) dont be afraid to ask more questions!

mike810
03/13/2011, 11:56 PM
Well, however you choose to acclimate your nem. Just make sure you purchase a healthy one to begin with so you have a better chance for success.

Lots of people will buy bleached nems because they look more pretty, don't fall for it!!!

Reef*freak
03/13/2011, 11:58 PM
+1 on the drip method it looks like the anemone is a bit small for the clown

steelhead77
03/14/2011, 01:38 AM
How is it too much of a hassle with no benefit? You setup an airline hose and start a drip and leave it till the bag fills up. The way you suggest to do it takes more work.

Your process could very well shock the anemone if the water parameters differ greatly from the tank water.

To the OP, google anemone acclimation and you will find that 99% of the people will tell you to drip your anemone like you would your other inverts...Snails, crabs etc....

To each, his own. Anemones are about the most rudimentary creatures you could put in your tank. They have a basic nervous system and a basic digestive system, and that's it. Have you ever seen a tide pool, or a pile of rocks at low tide? They are covered with anemones that are exposed to the open air for several hours at a time, twice a day, 365 days a year. A lot of the stuff we put in our tanks are not that delicate, some is of course, but anemones are not.

Theprettycolors
03/14/2011, 01:48 AM
Drip to be safe. It's not that hard and not that long.