PDA

View Full Version : Q about the Marineland 60g cube overflow

MikeInToronto
03/13/2011, 09:19 AM
I've noticed some bad reviews about the rear overflow on the Marineland 60g cube. I was wondering if people who have them could answer some questions for me.

1) Is the design bad because it can't handle the amount of flow put through it? How much flow are you putting through that it can't handle quietly?

2) I understand it's impossible to remove the elbows from inside the overflow box. (These are 3/4" and 1", is that correct?) For what reason do people need to remove or adjust these. Can't you just set the system up and go?

3) I've also noticed some complex plumbing designs around to try to overcome the noise. Why isn't it as simple and just adding a return line and an overflow pipe to the two bulkheads that are already there?

4) What sort of flow do you estimate this overflow can handle without being too noisy?

Thanks for any input. I'm trying to decide whether I want the "cleaner looking" Marineland overflow, or a less attractive custom overflow (which involves drilling and installing which I can do just fine, but I'm lazy). I'm not pumping too much water through (maybe 300 gph) so I just need to determine if the ML one is adequate.

koga57
03/13/2011, 09:30 AM
I just set-up the Marineland 60 cube last night. The one inch overfow is designed to handle 600 gph. I am using a Quiet One Return pump (3000) which with headloss is producing a very fast 480 gph return. I am going to slow that down a little to be honest just to get more filtration in the sump.

The thing that is loud is the return locline. They didn't put quite enough. I need one more inch to get the return in the water so that there isn't splash and signicifant noise.

That should be easy enough to take care of though. There is no room in the overflow for you the stick your hand in (forget it).

David

MikeInToronto
03/13/2011, 09:42 AM
I just set-up the Marineland 60 cube last night. The one inch overfow is designed to handle 600 gph. I am using a Quiet One Return pump (3000) which with headloss is producing a very fast 480 gph return. I am going to slow that down a little to be honest just to get more filtration in the sump.

The thing that is loud is the return locline. They didn't put quite enough. I need one more inch to get the return in the water so that there isn't splash and signicifant noise.

That should be easy enough to take care of though. There is no room in the overflow for you the stick your hand in (forget it).

David

I have lots of extra locline around so I should be okay. Are you otherwise happy with the plumbing setup, regarding noise, etc.? I was reading on another thread that if the bulkhead leaks, it's impossible to replace without draining the tank and ripping out the overflow. Is this a concern you have? Frankly I've never had a bulkhead leak but I know they do. I would assume Marineland installs relatively decent bulkheads.

I don't really want to install my own overflow and that's the only problem I have. Also, my intention is to make use of the depth at the center of the tank for display so the sleek design is very appealing. I'm not so sure if my own custom overflow design (4" radius acrylic tube cut lengthwise) will reduce the depth too much in the center. And, the tank will be visible from both sides so a corner would likely be the worst option.

I just want to get this all figured out before I order the tank.

koga57
03/13/2011, 10:35 AM
I would not worry about the bulkhead set-up on this one anymore than another. Marineland warranties the product very well. I would utilize the existing overflow.

I can see one thing I will be doing. After listening this morning, a significant amount of noise is coming from the drain pipe. Marineland does drill a hole and put a hard plastic straw if you will in the top to allow air intake. It is rather obvious to me that this hole MUST BE DRILLED larger.

That means I will have to drill out the existing hard plastic straw air intake, but that really shouldn't be that big of deal. Anyone else reading this , please chime in as the noise is rather significant from the drain pipe.

David

goofball310
03/13/2011, 10:45 AM
I'm have a Marineland 150DD and I use both holes in the overflow as a return and plumbed the return line outside of the tank. Here is a video from BRS showing what I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv3u0Sa1tk

When I first put together my tank I also considered drilling an extra hole since the overflows are so big and had the room.

MikeInToronto
03/13/2011, 01:12 PM
I would not worry about the bulkhead set-up on this one anymore than another. Marineland warranties the product very well. I would utilize the existing overflow.

My concern is that I'd have to drain the tank to do this and that's more pain than the actual money. But I don't think the concern about the bulkhead is a deal-breaker.

I can see one thing I will be doing. After listening this morning, a significant amount of noise is coming from the drain pipe. Marineland does drill a hole and put a hard plastic straw if you will in the top to allow air intake. It is rather obvious to me that this hole MUST BE DRILLED larger.

That means I will have to drill out the existing hard plastic straw air intake, but that really shouldn't be that big of deal. Anyone else reading this , please chime in as the noise is rather significant from the drain pipe.

David

I know what you mean. If I can find a picture, I think I know a work around; similar to the gravity standpipe for the Beananimal/Herbie as seen in the link provided in the BRS video goofball310 provided.

Are the elbows in the the back of the tank moveable, i.e. can you rotate them? Or can you even get a hand in there to try. How close are they from the top of the weir of the box?

I'm have a Marineland 150DD and I use both holes in the overflow as a return and plumbed the return line outside of the tank. Here is a video from BRS showing what I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv3u0Sa1tk

When I first put together my tank I also considered drilling an extra hole since the overflows are so big and had the room.

This is a modified Beananimal or Herbie. I current have the Beananimal on my 75g tank. For the 60g cube I think one hole is 3/4" and the other is 1". I don't think the bulkheads can be removed so I would have to work with them. I also think the 3/4" hole is lower so that would have to be the siphon. I'm not sure how much flow a 3/4" siphon can handle. Presumably it's more than a 1" gravity so it should work. This is a good idea and the one I was going to go with but since I'm being lazy, I don't want to drill a new return. The smallest glass bit I have is 1" so I'd have to buy a new one (not a big deal, I know). I could always have the return come over the back of the tank.

I'm going to do some searching to see what the back of this overflow looks like and maybe get some ideas.

Maybe it is just better to custom make my overflow box :rolleyes:

JHiestand
02/08/2013, 01:16 PM
Any updates on this?? I have one of the 60 cubes arriving today and I was also thinking about using both hole for the drain.

screamingibis
02/08/2013, 04:24 PM
I have the same tank except mine is bottom drilled. I use a mag 7 pump and have had no problems and no noise. I did add about two inches of airline tube on top of the durso to stop the gurgle. also you have to adjust the gate valves a little on the down flow and the return to stop gurgling in tube. my tank is pretty silent

bulk reef supply sells mesh screen that you can make a screen for the top to keep the jumpers in. You can take a piece of that and tie wrap it around the down flow in the overflow box to keep snails out.