PDA

View Full Version : Odyssea T5 Ballast needed

mjpinsky
03/13/2011, 12:12 PM
I have a quad T5 Odyssea light that was puchased a few years back and has served me well until last month.
One of the bulbs went out , so I decided it was a good time to replace all 4 bulbs. However, one STILL did not light. After making sure it was not the bulbs fault, I opened up the unit to find that the ballasts are sealed in black shrink wrap so I can't get any info off of them for a possible self-replacement. LFS said I would never get the part needed to self repair -- just to use it with 3 bulbs (instead of 4). My 60 gal would still have enough light with 3 T5s an 2 96w PCs
Does anyone know where to get parts for this unit? have an old one they would sell me for the parts? or had a similar problem and cut out the ballast to find out what the brand and part# are.
All help/suggestions are appreciated.............marc

reefermad619
03/13/2011, 01:04 PM
I would replace the ballast with a spec T5 ballast from reefgeek. I don't know what ballasts odeyssea uses, but reefgeek will have a ballast thats as good, more than likely better than what the stock ballast is.

LoyalConvict
03/13/2011, 01:05 PM
I would just replace the ballast with one or two from HelloLights (http://www.hellolights.com/2x54wt5hofluorescentballast-advance.aspx) or USA Lights (http://usalight.com/b2x54-unv-electronic-ballast-120-277v-1.html)

mjpinsky
03/13/2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks, BUT...... without cutting out what I believe is the ballast and stripping away the black shrink wrap, I won't know what the part actually( iE the manufact and model/specs.) Also, what if I do if I do all that and the part is labelled in Korean?
THATS why I asked if anyone had the specific info on the ballast --- no pics I have seen for electonic ballasts on various websites look anything like the part that is wrapped up......... marc

scuzy
03/13/2011, 07:42 PM
You are most likely getting a made in china part that you would not know. I would just retrofit it with one from hello light.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Grendel0501
03/13/2011, 07:53 PM
Aquatraders, or whoever sold you the unit will have replacement ballasts for sale.

But I do agree that you should get a different ballast as my Odyssea ballasts only did about 75% their actual ratings.

DownwardDawg
03/13/2011, 07:58 PM
I have a quad T5 Odyssea light that was puchased a few years back and has served me well until last month.
One of the bulbs went out , so I decided it was a good time to replace all 4 bulbs. However, one STILL did not light. After making sure it was not the bulbs fault, I opened up the unit to find that the ballasts are sealed in black shrink wrap so I can't get any info off of them for a possible self-replacement. LFS said I would never get the part needed to self repair -- just to use it with 3 bulbs (instead of 4). My 60 gal would still have enough light with 3 T5s an 2 96w PCs
Does anyone know where to get parts for this unit? have an old one they would sell me for the parts? or had a similar problem and cut out the ballast to find out what the brand and part# are.
All help/suggestions are appreciated.............marc

You will never find that ballast. Besides, it's crap. I have the Odyssea 250watt halide fixture with compact florescent actinics. The ballasts for the florescents both went out. I bought 2 ballasts from somewhere, coralvue or something, pulled those crap ballasts out and mounted the new ones in the fixture. It was a tight fit, but it works much better now. If the new ballasts won't fit in the fixture, mount them remotely under the canopy, stand, floor, etc...
Anyway, buy new ballasts from anywhere you choose, just don't buy those same ones that went out, they are terrible.