PDA

View Full Version : 2-part dosing Q's

RenoR1
03/13/2011, 12:22 PM
i just started doing the BRS 2-part dosing setup a few days ago. I am still trying to get all my levels to where I want them before I come up with a routine.

Question: Why is it when I dose the Soda Ash, the second it hits the water it chunks up? It is jamming my make-shift dripper almost instantly, and chunks float around my sump for a while. How do I stop this from happening?

I have learned through research. I dose Calc 8 hrs apart from the alk. And I only dose Alk when lights are off. Why dose seperately?

Once I get my levels correct, I dose Calc/Alk in equal amounts...Does that mean the tank uses it equally?

Since I am trying to raise my DKH from 6 to 9, it is taking a few days to avoid PH spike. In that time I assume my MG and Calc levels are falling...Do i dose those to keep them stable while still trying to get alk up?

Any other novice advise would be appreciated. And if I found wrong information, please let me know...

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/13/2011, 12:25 PM
Why is it when I dose the Soda Ash, the second it hits the water it chunks up? It is jamming my make-shift dripper almost instantly, and chunks float around my sump for a while. How do I stop this from happening?

Solids of magnesium hydroxide always form when it hits the water. Most often it is just cloudiness that redissolves, but it can also form chunks if flow is low or other issues cause it.

I don't understand the dripper comment. Is the dripper underwater? It shouldn't be.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/13/2011, 12:28 PM
Once I get my levels correct, I dose Calc/Alk in equal amounts...Does that mean the tank uses it equally?

Yes, although water changes with a mix that does not match the tank will throw that off. That's the beauty of a two part or any balanced method (limewater, CaCO3/CO2 reactor, etc.).

Why does seperately?

If they comingle before dispersing, you can get precipitation of CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). But 5 minutes apart is likely fine. :)

RenoR1
03/13/2011, 01:29 PM
No, the dripper is not under water. It is above my sump and gravity fed. I think the answer to this question is user error though....

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/14/2011, 10:37 AM
OK.

If you need more help, just let us know. :)