PDA

View Full Version : Options for rock other than LR?

MarinePaethor
03/13/2011, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if there was any type of rock that I could pick up locally if available that would be safe to put in my tank. I've got 50lbs of LR in there currently, but I would like to add more to get a little more height and structure, but I don't want to invest all my tank budget on LR.

What are some good, safe alternatives to LR or ordering dead rock online? Is there anything else which can be safely used other than rock, such as types of wood or anything else? I know that base/dead rock will eventually become LR after time, but is there a limit to the amount you can add before you have to worry about starting a mini-cycle or something along those lines?

Thanks for any info and advice you can offer.

carpenterman23
03/13/2011, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't add wood. It will decay and I think it would cause problems. Marco Rocks has some dead rock at a good price. I know there are threads about diy rock on here. That is always another option.

Sk8r
03/13/2011, 02:04 PM
limestone. Pure limestone, if you can get the holey variety. Surface area matters. Dead coral is perfect.

MarinePaethor
03/13/2011, 11:06 PM
I should be able to find some limestone, there are even a couple of quarries not to far from my house. Do I need to soak it for a certain length of time for pH reasons, or anything else like that? I know that the limestone will raise the pH of the tank, but will it only raise it to a certain point, or will it raise it too high I I don't handle it correctly? Should I make sure it is "Grade A" limestone, (I think they grade rock like that), to make sure it is free of impurities and high in calcium? Should I be careful about how much I add at a time?

spehhh
03/14/2011, 12:05 AM
i used the riff rock from my old cichlid tank as a filler and its covered in coraline now,it works great and you can get it cheap.

MarinePaethor
03/14/2011, 12:22 AM
Now to sound like a total noob...:)

What exactly is riff rock and where would I get it?

chrischin29g
03/14/2011, 12:31 AM
I heard "lace rock" was ok and I actually seen it ok a tank at a LFS

wbdevers
03/14/2011, 10:02 AM
Limestone is CaCO3--same thing as coral skeletons. It will be fine. Follow what Sk8r said for the best and most natural look. She know what she is talking about.

TellyFish
03/14/2011, 10:13 AM
Dry rock? I cant imagine terrestrial limestone having the filtering properties of natural coral rock?

aleonn
03/14/2011, 01:36 PM
I would just add dry rock. BRS or Marco Rock sell them, much cheaper than purchasing LR, and with no pests. Make sure you rinse it well in case there are any dead matter on it. Let it air dry, then place into the tank. There shouldn't be a mini-cycle because it's not live.

mgraff00
03/15/2011, 12:55 PM
I acquired a tank that had lava rock already in it and it seems to be doing fine. I kind of like the contrast between the white sand and black rock.