PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef vs Reef Octopus

hamiltonguy
03/13/2011, 02:29 PM
Is one "better" than the other when it comes to skimming?

Edit: Also, are there any retailers in Ontario that sell them? I don't mind spending money on a good skimmer, I'd rather get it locally then have to pay the same amount in shipping.

karsseboom
03/13/2011, 03:16 PM
i would say reef octopus without a doubt man...

moondoggy4
03/13/2011, 05:31 PM
For what size tank?

goofball310
03/13/2011, 08:47 PM
Euro-Reef skimmers are great but are a little out dated.

I'd personnal suggest the Super Reef Octopus and can be purchased locally for you at AQUAVALLEYdotCA.

You can also find more local vendors at AQUARIACANADAdotCOM in their sponser section.

dzfish17
03/13/2011, 10:06 PM
I cant say anything about the euro-reef line but the sro skimmers are great. I just bought 2 from Reef Specialty and they had free shipping.

TurboRobert
03/13/2011, 10:35 PM
I have had an rc135 for years. It works great. Best skimmer I have ever had.

huskysglare1
03/13/2011, 11:41 PM
I have had an rc135 for years. It works great. Best skimmer I have ever had.

How many skimmers have you had? heheh Have you tried swc, reef octopus, or ATB?

+1 Reef octopus is outdated.

Reef octopus hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. No bubble plate or cone type. I think they're too cheap to add bubble plates or make a cone skimmer.

I had a RS180 for a year, but then i upgraded to the SWC 200. The SWC blew the RS out of the water in terms of performance.

t4zalews
03/14/2011, 08:44 AM
I had a ER RS-80 on my 65g and switched to a SRO XP1000sss, the octopus I feel gets more of the crude out, but the ER was a very good skimmer. the bubble blaster pumps on the SRO are way better than the sedras on the ER's. Both are good, but having used both..i think the SRO are better.

jdyer88
03/14/2011, 08:51 AM
I have a euro reef and I swear by them. Their name changed to Reef dynamics I think.

pmrossetti
03/14/2011, 08:57 AM
yeah they're Reef Dynamics now. Good website,too. Don't use Sedras anymore.They use the Sunlight Supply pumps modified to meet higher standards. supposed to be dead silent. I have the old rs250 and love it. 30" tall.

USC-fan
03/14/2011, 12:13 PM
How many skimmers have you had? heheh Have you tried swc, reef octopus, or ATB?

+1 Reef octopus is outdated.

Reef octopus hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. No bubble plate or cone type. I think they're too cheap to add bubble plates or make a cone skimmer.

I had a RS180 for a year, but then i upgraded to the SWC 200. The SWC blew the RS out of the water in terms of performance.

Bubble plate are used to make skimmer shorter with more air. Cone work worse than standard skimmers in the test done by Advanced Aquarist MAG.

ANyway reef octopus do have everything you listed.
http://www.reefoctopus.com.au/v2/pub/range.cfm?category=5EF3AA65-C7AE-411A-9D2BE8FE975382A3

I believe you are talking about euro-reef.

huskysglare1
03/14/2011, 03:58 PM
USC, can you point me to that article? i've been looking for test done on Cone vs Standard skimmers, but i can't find any. Can you give the URL?

huskysglare1
03/14/2011, 04:17 PM
You're right USC, i meant Euro Reef is out dated.

moondoggy4
03/14/2011, 05:27 PM
A nice thing about Euro Reef skimmers you can still get parts, you can talk with the guy who builds them, they are built in the US and they do not have 15 different versions changing every 6 months, true some of the Chinese built skimmer have come along way but it wasn't always like that.

DoubleM 10
03/14/2011, 05:44 PM
i have a reef dynamics skimmer on my 55 FO and its a tank.

i also have a reef octopus on another tank. its really good so far.

i would choose the reef dynamic skimmer. i had great skimmate couple hours after plugging it in. and it got darker as it broke in

USC-fan
03/14/2011, 06:51 PM
USC, can you point me to that article? i've been looking for test done on Cone vs Standard skimmers, but i can't find any. Can you give the URL?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature#section-3

Recirc NW is what I use on my tank and it is by far the best design. I plumb my overflow directly into the skimmer so it gets the dirtiest water.

TurboRobert
03/14/2011, 08:41 PM
I bought my Euro Reef after my friend who owned a fish store swore by them. I got the RC which is what I recommend. He had like 10 different brands of skimmers and had them all going at one time to show people how they each work.

pmrossetti
03/14/2011, 10:11 PM
there's an hour long vid on youtube on Reef Dynamics with the owner. very interesting.
It's from LA Fishguys channel. check it out

hamiltonguy
03/14/2011, 10:43 PM
For what size tank?

75 gallons.

Hmm, I haven't looked at the Super Reef Octopus skimmers.

What should I look for when deciding between one skimmer or the other?

I was looking at the RO NW skimmers too, what's the take on those?

moondoggy4
03/15/2011, 12:02 AM
I had a ER RS 80 on my old 55 gallon tank and it took out chocolate syrup like skimmate. So a IN135 should be a good fit. The SRO skimmers are also good.

Waylander
03/15/2011, 09:03 AM
I have both...and becketts. If you have a good design, the right volume matched to a good pump - bubble is bubbles. JMHO, of course.

ron86hd
03/15/2011, 06:43 PM
All I can say is I LOVE my Reef Octo it Kicks BASS LOL

hamiltonguy
03/20/2011, 07:14 PM
Lol, I'm gonna buy a RO just for that pun.

But anyway, I decided to go with this one:

http://www.goreef.com/Reef-Octopus-NWB-150-In-Sump-Needle-Wheel-Protein-Skimmer-150-Gallon.html

What do you guys think?

hamiltonguy
03/20/2011, 09:41 PM
Not be pushy but just looking for a final opinion before I go ahead and put the order in.

Johnny C
03/20/2011, 10:34 PM
The NWB-150 is a great skimmer; I used one on my 57+30G system and it always pulled stuff out. The SRO line is definitely a little nicer (mainly in terms of the pump used) but if you are on a budget the NWB-150 should work just fine. HTH

peterpaul
03/21/2011, 08:18 AM
Euro Reef skimmers are dated (You can only find ones that are used). They are not bad skimmers but there are a lot more skimmers available which have been updated.

I recently borrowed a friend's Reef Octopus Extreme 160 for my 65 gallon tank and I can say I am impressed by that skimmer.

I would say skimmers and lights are the two things you do not want to save on. I have tried other "cheap" skimmers with not much success. I have used Euro Reefs before upgrading them to H&S skimmers and I can say that there is a big difference in performance. But then again that is just my opinion.

Your choice of an Octopus NWB-150 should be fine based on the review of this skimmer and from opinions of other reefers but I think you can find a better price on that skimmer if you do an internet search.

sneaton
03/21/2011, 08:35 AM
swc 160 cone gets my vote

hamiltonguy
03/21/2011, 09:10 AM
Euro Reef skimmers are dated (You can only find ones that are used). They are not bad skimmers but there are a lot more skimmers available which have been updated.

I recently borrowed a friend's Reef Octopus Extreme 160 for my 65 gallon tank and I can say I am impressed by that skimmer.

I would say skimmers and lights are the two things you do not want to save on. I have tried other "cheap" skimmers with not much success. I have used Euro Reefs before upgrading them to H&S skimmers and I can say that there is a big difference in performance. But then again that is just my opinion.

Your choice of an Octopus NWB-150 should be fine based on the review of this skimmer and from opinions of other reefers but I think you can find a better price on that skimmer if you do an internet search.

Well I live in Canada and I did find a bunch of sites where it's about $30 cheaper but those were all American sites. So then if I was to pay shipping and then conversion, I would be paying well over the price in the link I posted.

I just thought this was the best skimmer for it's price. I just don't want to go as far as the bubble king line of skimmers.

frank2926
03/21/2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder why they changed the name? Hmmmmm

SM2
03/23/2011, 07:39 AM
I just recently purchased a Super Reef octopus 2000 int with the bubble blaster pump, and let me tell you that thing is amazing, and in reply to a previous poster... it is a partial cone with a bubble plate, there is not a thing "cheap" about the unit. Nice thick walls, fit and finish is quality, has an o-ring seal between the collection cup and the neck. The silencer for the air draw has a mounting bolt to attach it firmly to the collar around the neck. The pump it comes with is pretty impressive as well. It skims like mad, and the only noise I hear from it is the water flowing from the outlet pipe (that has a gate valve for adjustment) Thi sunit is on a 76 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump running bare bottom and sps.

pmrossetti
03/23/2011, 09:58 AM
Reef Dynamics skimmer. Also look at the update video from this user that shows the skimmer after it's broken in.
Looks pretty awesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0aomWPoeyk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL