PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer depth question

eg8r210
03/13/2011, 05:12 PM
OK, I have my skimmer installed but have been running into a wall trying to get it to work correctly. I have never worked with a skimmer before so maybe I am missing something. The skimmer was put together by the LFS so all I had to do was put it in the sump and plug it in. The skimmer is sitting in 13.5" of water. When turned on the bubbles rise to about 3/4 of the body. I have adjusted the skimmer valve from open to close and nothing happens to the bubbles. When I raise the skimmer up so that the base of it is in about 8" of water the bubbles in the skimmer drop drammatically. We adjusted the valve and nothing happens.

When I set the skimmer back on the bottom of the sump and raised the water level in the sump up to about 18 to 19" and close the valve the bubbles rise to the top of the neck which I believe is where it should be. At this point, if I adjust the valve as little as a quarter turn the bubbles start falling again.

Surely I am missing something since I never read about other skimmers being is such depth of water. Most say they need to be in 6-8" of water. I understand every company is different but 18"? That seems pretty drastic. On top of that, I cannot run my sump with that much water or it will overflow when the power goes out.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

bayoupr
03/13/2011, 06:07 PM
What model skimmer do you have?

eg8r210
03/13/2011, 09:11 PM
I have an AquaEuro Recirc 265.

eg8r210
03/14/2011, 07:00 AM
Hoping someone has any ideas today...

spieszak
03/14/2011, 07:31 AM
My EShopps expects that you prime it so that the cylinder is 3/4 full before starting. I don't see you mentioning doing that, so I thought I'd throw it out there. (If I don't prime, adjusting never really works, same if I "overprime")

eg8r210
03/14/2011, 10:52 AM
I called Aquaeuro and they said that even though I am using this skimmer in sump it still needs a feeder pump. This upsets me a bit because a very reputable local LFS here in Orlando provided completely false information when selling me this skimmer. However, that is fine I would get the feeder pump, they recommended 315 gph minimum. The probelm is that the sump needs to be in around 6-8" of water even with the feeder pump in order to work correctly and the way my sump baffles are the water level stays around 13". In order to raise the skimmer up to be in 8" of water I would need to raise the skimmer 5-5" inches and I don't have room for that height-wise.

So my new question...Should I run this skimmer as an external, or should I return it and get something else?

I bought this skimmer against better judgement because of price but I still have yet to see anyone respond to a previous thread I started about whether this skimmer is very good or not.