PDA

View Full Version : another question about cycling

Bcsader
03/13/2011, 06:06 PM
So I have an 80 gallon that has been up and running for over two years. I bought a used 125 gallon tank that was up and running with fish still in it. I put the sand and live rock in buckets and kept them wet for transporting the tank. They sat in buckets in the garage for about a week. I got the tank set up and used the sand but put a thin layer of new sand over it. I also put the live rock in as well. My question is will I have a cycle and if I put my rock from my 80 gallon in there how soon will I be able to transfer my fish to the new tank. Also will my fish be ok in the 80 gallon for a while without live rock? Thanks I tried a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Brian

kfisc
03/13/2011, 06:45 PM
I'd predict a cycle; the only thing I'd worry about is if the fish are over-crowded in the 80. The 125's parameters will indicate when it's ok to move them; fish don't require live rock.

goofball310
03/13/2011, 07:28 PM
You will most likely have a mini cycle and the length of time is really unknown. It would be best to test the tank on a weekly basis. I've seen people start adding livestock to tanks the same day with LR from previously set-up tanks.

My main concern was that you let the rock sit for a week without any circulation. It might lengthen the cycle you will have in the new tank. Also, do not take all of the live rock from the 80 and leave the fish in there. The tanks chemistry will be completely out of balance if you take it all out and risk losing all of your fish if left in the 80 for an extended period of time.