PDA

View Full Version : HOB skimmer on sump?

Tautog
03/13/2011, 07:38 PM
I am in the middle of my new 75 build. I started with a sumpless 90 5 months ago, and bought an octopus bh 2000 and am very happy with it. I have a 40b for a sump and I am wondering if I could hang this on instead of buying a in sump skimmer. Has anyone tried this, and what kind of loss would result by extending the intake pipe? Would I be better off having that section of the sump with high baffles almost to the top, or just extending the pipe down?

Tautog
03/14/2011, 06:16 PM
I realize it is a dumb question to some people to ask this. I know this is not the conventional or recommended method to skimming in a sump, but I am pretty sure I am not the only person who has wanted to do this. With the new build, the budget is starting to get pretty tight, especially since the boat season is almost upon me and I am looking to save a little $ with this possibly. So, if anyone has any experience with this idea, or this exact setup, I beg for info.
Thanks,
Pete

skraj011
03/14/2011, 06:30 PM
I can't think of why it should matter if the skimmer is hanging off the back of the tank or the back of the sump.

If you lengthen the intake tubing you will likely decrease the flow through the skimmer and change it's efficiency (b/c there is more resistance to flow).

if there is a way to set up the skimmer in the sump the way it's supposed to be, it would be preferable.

Tautog
03/14/2011, 06:42 PM
It's an external pump attached to the body, so it would have to hang off the back. I just don't know where to begin when making the baffles for the first chamber if I choose to do this, so I can get the most effeciency out of it without screwing up the rest of the sump.