PDA

View Full Version : T5 connection help - can someone ID this?

thefuz
03/13/2011, 07:49 PM
Hi folks,

Just picked up a canopy for my 90 oceanic. The canopy has retrofit fixtures with a pair of MH/T5's and the T5's have this connection. Does anyone know what this is? I believe the guy I bought it from said these are Icecap fixtures, but of course - they didn't come with ballasts. Is this an attachment to a 430? I'm not sure I want to overdrive my bulbs given how much shorter their lifespan will be (it's like 6 months vs. 10, no?).

Anyway, just looking for options. I'd like to try for LPS/SPS mixed reef. The MH are 250w moguls. I'm thinking Lumatek ballasts for those.

DownwardDawg
03/13/2011, 08:03 PM
Not sure about icecap connectors, but you can use any ballast you choose. You may have to cut that connector off and wirenut the wires to the ones from whatever ballast you choose. Think of that connector as some fancy wire nuts. That's all it is. It's just a way to make it simple for you to use that particular brand of ballast...plug and play! Those wires in the picture will work with any ballast you choose.

thefuz
03/13/2011, 08:19 PM
I figured that, but wanted to see if there was something I can just plug and play. Is it worthwhile to explore dimmable ballasts for the T5's or just something on/off? I'm planning on picking up an Apex at some point once the tank is getting going (still much work to do on setup).

Harry_Y
03/13/2011, 09:04 PM
I figured that, but wanted to see if there was something I can just plug and play. Is it worthwhile to explore dimmable ballasts for the T5's or just something on/off? I'm planning on picking up an Apex at some point once the tank is getting going (still much work to do on setup).

I have Dimmable ballast and they are really nice.

It is cool to see the corals change shape and the fish
change behavior as the lights ramp up and down.

thefuz
03/13/2011, 09:47 PM
i like the thought of that - mind if I ask what ballast you're using?