PDA

View Full Version : Someone help please

SaltH2OLover
03/13/2011, 08:55 PM
I'm not too sure what this could possibly be. My LFS built the sump and drilled my tank. Well after I picked everything up and cleaned the inside out of both, I filled them up with water and sand. A few days later the silicone started to turn a BRIGHT YELLOW like flourescent color. IDK what made it do that. I've talked to a couple of people asking them and they have no idea either. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any help is appreciated in advance.

nicfo25
03/13/2011, 09:47 PM
I would contact the people you got it from and see if they can fix it for you. There is not really an easy fix besides recaulking or getting diff. tank.

Reefahholic
03/13/2011, 10:16 PM
That's odd, has to be somthing to do with chemicals or something in the water.

perhaps the silicone they used?

Either way.....you are gonna have to get creative on solving that one. OR just buy a new tank.

I would contact your LFS and hold them responsible.

SaltH2OLover
03/14/2011, 08:11 AM
The weird part is that the aquarium silicone is fine. So I wouldn't think it was a chemical that was used, as far as the silicone, he's been using the same silicone on everything he does. As soon as I get back into town I'm gonna go show him some pics. of it and see what he says. My buddy sent him 2 pic. messages and he said he's never seen it do that either. I appreciate it guys, I'm gonna go talk to him and see what he says. I'll keep updated.

Liquid Hobby
03/14/2011, 04:17 PM
Looks like potential UV damage with bad long term consequences... Probably the wrong silicon or a bad batch.

seapug
03/14/2011, 04:23 PM
If the LFS built the sump and all they did was drill the tank, then it's hard to blame them for the silicone on the tank turning yellow as well.

The only connection between the two is that you cleaned them both with something and filled them with the same water. What cleaning product did you use?

SaltH2OLover
03/14/2011, 10:28 PM
Cleaned with a wet rag! That's it. Didn't use anything else. I'm gonna go up there tomorrow, I'm on way home now from vacation, gonna see what he thinks about it.

SaltH2OLover
03/16/2011, 08:48 PM
Ok so I took the sump up there today. He said he talked to one of his vendors he gets his tanks from, and they told him that the only thing they know could have happend is that something in the water I put in there stained it. I don't see how bc I get my water from my brother and his tank doesn't look like this. He told me to bring the tank up there to him and he would redo it and the sump and see how it goes then. So I guess that's what I'm gonna do. I'm in the process of trying to find a bigger tank. I have my eye on one, just need to sell my 135 freshwater first.