PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide and T12

mike5051
03/13/2011, 10:36 PM
I just completed the canopy on my 75G today and fired up my 2x250 watt MH 14K bulbs. I have 2x T12 "super actinic" in addition to the MH. I can't really see much difference when the T12's are on or off with the MH's running. I don't have much in the tank to "pop" but I want my colors to "pop" when I do start adding corals.

Should I get 20K MH, T5 Actinic, VHO Actinic, or something else to get the desired results? :confused:

mike5051
03/14/2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the input!

125G Reefer
03/14/2011, 08:23 PM
VHO Super Actinics are the best for coloring. N.O. T12 lights are not what your looking for.

grigsy
03/14/2011, 08:28 PM
Mike,

You have a great set up right now. I have run MH + VHOs for years. In addition, I have run several other types of lighting including MH alone, VHO alone, MH + PC, T5 alone, PC alone.

Personally, from experience, I like the combination you have the best.

I always prefered the look and growth of 10K metal halides with Super Actinic Blue VHOs. That is a great combination in lighting. This will give you superior tank appeal as well as the ability to keep anything you want in your tank.

It seems you just got your 250 watt 14Ks. Give them time to burn in. Most halides need a good 100 hours of burn in time in order to achieve their proper Kelvin. What you see now may very well likely be a bit different in a few days - thus, you will see more of a difference between the halides and the VHOs.

Go ahead and add corals now. Once you have them in your tank, you will see very nice colors exhibited from them with your current lighting set up.

T Diddy
03/14/2011, 08:30 PM
I did the same thing OP. The T 12 light is not intense enough, and is totally drowned out by the MH. You could try 20000K bulbs, but I went with blue LED supplementation. Eventually I replaced the MH with T 5 . Now it is just T 5 and LED, and I am much happier with the colors and the pop you speak of.

mike5051
03/14/2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks alot guys! I think I'll go with the VHO super actinics. Another concern was the guy at the LFS said that the 1.5" diameter bulbs are obsolete and getting very difficult to find, priced accordingly.

grigsy
03/14/2011, 10:22 PM
What is 1.5" diameter? Is he referring to T12s? Those are just about 2" diameter if I recall correctly.

Who is the "guy at the LFS". Does he even know what he is talking about?? Obvisoulsy not.

Check with Champion lighting. They carry a large supply of T12 VHOs and they are a Reef Central Sponsor.

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=1300

mike5051
03/14/2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks grigsy,

The LFS guy sold me the t12's for about 24 bucks each. They aren't vho, and I see that champion lighting has the vho's for that price. I'll need a new ballast to power the vho's but I think I'll get the results I'm looking for.