PDA

View Full Version : New mobile app (iPhone, iPad, Android) for reef management

Ride928
03/14/2011, 07:43 AM
I'm in the process of developing a new mobile app that would act as a companion to the busy reefkeeper. I'm thinking of something that would keep track of current levels, include reef-specific calculators, and allow for scheduling and alerting of important maintenance tasks. I'm also thinking of including a portable mini reef encyclopedia to use when you see something appealing at the LFS. There are a couple out there (Reefmaster PRO and aquaPlanner), but I don't think any of them quite nail it. Now for anyone that wants to give their input :)

1. Have you used any of the existing reef management apps? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. What's a fair price for an app like this? I was thinking $1.99.

3. What is your wish list of features for an app like this?

4. Would you be interested in an integration with Amazon for easy dry goods shopping?

Thanks in advance for your help

kzooreefer
03/14/2011, 08:03 AM
I'm in the process of developing a new mobile app that would act as a companion to the busy reefkeeper. I'm thinking of something that would keep track of current levels, include reef-specific calculators, and allow for scheduling and alerting of important maintenance tasks. I'm also thinking of including a portable mini reef encyclopedia to use when you see something appealing at the LFS. There are a couple out there (Reefmaster PRO and aquaPlanner), but I don't think any of them quite nail it. Now for anyone that wants to give their input :)

1. Have you used any of the existing reef management apps? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. What's a fair price for an app like this? I was thinking $1.99.

3. What is your wish list of features for an app like this?

4. Would you be interested in an integration with Amazon for easy dry goods shopping?

Thanks in advance for your help

I haven't used any apps as I haven't found one I like that is a good stand alone app. I mean by that one that isn't meant to be used with a Reefkeeper or similar device.

All I want is to keep track of my dosing schedules and water parameters, maybe even with a graphing function to chart said parameters over time. A reef calculator for dosing and one for converting alkalinity from ppm to dKH would be a big plus. Integration with Amazon.com would be a big minus for me and possibly a deal killer as I have a bad taste in my mouth for Amazon.com bloatware on Android phones already. I already have three business I shop at exclusively for dry goods. A $1.99 price is fair and anything higher you might scare away business.

MaxxdOut
03/15/2011, 02:30 PM
interesting - following for any other info...

andythorntonjr
03/15/2011, 02:52 PM
Tracking of water parameters (with graphing feature), scheduler (for dosing/water change/etc), maybe (if you're going advanced) a quick reference list for the Compatibility charts (ie. Someone is in a store and see something, wondering if it'd get along with their other livestock.. so they can check there), maybe some sort of QT tracker (days in QT, dosing history for meds, etc)... Sure I'll think of something else in time. ;)

Pyrocide
03/15/2011, 02:55 PM
This is interesting as I have come up with a few thought provoking app ideas as well for monitoring via wifi access to Arduino controllers. Basically a remote session either with your controllers interface or the computer that can control it, that would effectively be able to control the controller remotely.

I like the idea of the reef-pedia. But, the size of the app would be a concern if you start adding pictures. There are just so many different species of corals and fish and inverts that could be added, the sheer size of a decent resolution picture to fill a 420p screen would, IMO, be a very hefty app.

I agree with the above about the schedule and/or alerts about dosing times, graphing would be good to keep track of how water quality changes over time. Also agree with integration of web stores. I have 2 maybe 3 places I regularly shop. Amazon is definitely not one of them. It would be one thing to have updates when local or online stores are having sales, but not to integrate Amazon shopping into it.

Gallon, dosing, and calculators are definitely something I would like to see, especially for exact dosing measurements. For instance. If i have 90 gallon tank with about 70lbs of live rock, and 5" sand bed with a trigger systems crystal elite sump, what would the actual displacement of water and the actual gallons of water be of my tank. Yes its just a simple math formula that I can look up online, but if its in an app on my phone which i am constantly on, its a convenience thing.

And, this would be for my own personal amusement, but an online community where people can upload from the app their live stock and tank specs. IRC channels to chat with instead of logging into a forum and waiting for a response, etc. Just something I have come to love.

Ride928
03/15/2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I like all of the ideas listed and I plan on making the swiss army knife of reefkeeping tracking\portable research tools. I agree that images couldn't be hosted locally on the app because of the size, but what I can do to get around that is make a Google Images API call and pull a few results. This is still in the concept phase, but I'll be sure to share my mockups before it goes into develops. Thanks again!

goofball310
03/15/2011, 04:30 PM
I'm personally waiting for the Vertex Cerebra to come out.

http://************.com/2011/02/17/vertex-aquaristik-cerebra-android-app-store/

colotl
03/15/2011, 10:03 PM
I use "My aquarium logger" from the android market. I like it. the graph doesnt graph well and pictures of species is "coming soon. The cost is 2.99 and it was worth it. I'm interested in what you come up with,please keep informed once it comes out.

kawicivic
03/15/2011, 10:17 PM
Search the cmas selection there is another guy who just developed something similar...maybe you two could work together. I think his app is for droid and is called reef buddy

bagz727
03/16/2011, 01:41 AM
interested!!

Pyrocide
03/16/2011, 09:05 AM
I am definitely willing to try anything.

One thing i would suggest though, having had the 3g on iOS 4. Make it 3.1.3 friendly. I jailbroke my iphone just to revert it back to the 3.1.x F/W because it slowed my 3g down to a crawl just browsing my contacts...playing games on it was just impossible. And forget about streaming anything to it.

I have the iPhone 4 with 4.3 and 2 3G's with 3.1.3 and 4.0 on it if you would like to use me as a guinea pig.

reefermad619
03/16/2011, 11:08 AM
Reef compatable section would be cool! Also tips on care and maintainence on corals.

andythorntonjr
03/16/2011, 12:19 PM
Another thing I thought of, depending on how 'in depth' you want to make this. I'm sure you'll have (potentially) some sort of Controller management program. You might consider adding a cam feature? For example, if you have livestock tracking/QT health/etc, it might be handy for people to snap their own photo of their fish/coral/etc and store it in the program associated with that entry. You have a clownfish? Documented. You have a picture of THAT clownfish? Nice; not to mention a good way to show others/brag. ;)

chercm
03/17/2011, 02:01 AM
i am looking for one for iphone 4

john f
03/17/2011, 06:44 AM
Please make it integrate with Apex and reefkeeper apps.
My Apex android app keeps me informed of status, and it would be perfect if the data from the apex was logged into your app so there would be less manual input.

reefknight
03/17/2011, 10:07 AM
Tagging for iphone app

Shard
03/17/2011, 11:01 AM
One great feature would be if you could make it multi-platform where controllers are concerned. If I had an app that would work with multiple controllers like the Apex and the upcoming Cerebra that would be great. Also RK integration would be nice, but that may be difficult as the RK line has limited controls and such via the web interface.

As you can download the log file on the Apex in various formats, automatically importing data from the Apex would be nice for generating some long term graphs on the phone.

I really would like an app that would possibly give me access to a camera (either networked or USB), my controller, and my data, all from within the same app.

Good luck with this venture,
Landon