PDA

View Full Version : 48" 2x250MH water heating and cooling

lembow
03/14/2011, 09:08 AM
I was curious I have a new light for my 125G its 2x250MH, and 2 T5. I don't have a chiller on my tank so thats where my question is revolved around.

Will I need one, My tank is 48x24x24. The light is about 5-6" over my tank. I did notice it gets hotter in my dining room now where its at.

I have a square fan on it to cool it off a bit for now till I can get a smaller one of those clip on's that I can put behind it. My question I guess is how hot will my tank get, and will i really need a chiller seeing that I have more lights and more wattage and stuff like that.

Thanks

Lem

nanojg
03/14/2011, 09:31 AM
There is no way for us to tell you how hot your tank will get. It depends largely on the ambient temperature and humidity.

I think most, if not all tanks can do just fine without a chiller. Evaporative cooling works very well. If your tank gets too hot try having a fan or two or three...blowing at the water. A fan blowing at the water in the sump is a nice way to hide the fan.

James77
03/14/2011, 09:32 AM
You may. If you already had heat problems before, they will be worse. Ambient room temp and air conditioning will also dictate it. I had similar on my 120 and never needed a chiller- although there was AC on when the lights were on.

lembow
03/14/2011, 10:07 AM
thanks for the replies. I totally understand that you can't gauge how hot it will get but I was just curious on experience. I have windows open all the time in my home, and when summer gets here I will have AC in the window also. I had one problem last summer when I was running the TEK T5 8bulb setup I went to Puerto Rico and my dad was watching my tank. Well needless to say got up to 95* in the house and fried everything in my tank. I won't let that happen again which was basically the reason for my question.

I will be getting a few Clip-on's and of course the AC and I will be fine then.

Thank You guys