PDA

View Full Version : Vortech vs tune nano wavebox for 120

jbechel
03/14/2011, 10:08 AM
I was wanting opinions which way to go vortech or tunze wavebox for 120 mixed reef to create a nice wave and gentle flow back and fourth any comments would be great thanks

goofball310
03/14/2011, 10:15 AM
Go with the Vortech. The wave box makes a lot of noise from the video's I've seen and seems to be a normal complaint of owners on most of the wavebox threads. You can youtube it and see what I'm talking about.

jbechel
03/14/2011, 10:40 AM
What size vortech would you suggest I thought about 2 mp20s or 1 mp40 it's the 4ft 120

goofball310
03/14/2011, 10:46 AM
MP20's have been discontinued so the only thing you could buy new is a MP40.

USC-fan
03/14/2011, 11:06 AM
MP40 are louder than a wavebox. If you get a vortech I would not run it in wave mode. way too loud, most run in lagoon mode to cut down on noise.

k.tran
03/14/2011, 11:08 AM
If what you want is a wave the wavebox would be better. Less noise than mp40's if set right.

davidtsx
03/14/2011, 11:11 AM
MP40 are louder than a wavebox. If you get a vortech I would not run it in wave mode. way too loud, most run in lagoon mode to cut down on noise.

I think they solved that problem. I have two brand new ones. I had them on my tank for about 3 weeks now. I can't hear them even if I put my ear right next to them.

uhuru
03/14/2011, 11:11 AM
for "gentle flow back and forth" I would go with a wavebox. You will have to add other pumps for circulation though. IMO its kind of a waste to use the vortech to make waves when they can do so much more. I have both vortechs and a nano wavebox.

USC-fan
03/14/2011, 11:33 AM
I think they solved that problem. I have two brand new ones. I had them on my tank for about 3 weeks now. I can't hear them even if I put my ear right next to them.

I find that hard to believe. You must have a loud tank.

davidtsx
03/14/2011, 11:48 AM
Super quite. Mine stand and canapy are completely insulated with sound proofing material and the only think outside of the insulated stand and canapy are my vortechs.

rsaha
03/14/2011, 02:17 PM
I have a nano wavebox on my 120 4 foot tank. Running it lengthwise I can get a wave a little over 1/2 inch in a fairly mature SPS dominated mixed reef - nice gentle swaying. I find it much quieter than MP40s I have heard on other people's tanks. There is a slight click every time the wavebox fires but it is nowhere as loud as the vortechs.

My tank is pretty quiet. I have a BK red dragon for the skimmer and an eheim for the return. Flow is all Tunze.

There was a problem with a missing disk in some waveboxes that shipped that resulted in a longer throw when the pump fired. The longer throw resulted in a pretty loud click. Tunze fixed this problem as I understand it.

MelloW33
03/14/2011, 02:30 PM

I have to agree, I have a new one and it is absolutely quiet. My Koralia that it replaced was louder.

AM916
03/14/2011, 02:43 PM
I have 2 mp10s and 2 mp40s, all new within the last 2 months, es versions. They very loud when in any wave mode, ecosmart modes are extremely loud. I am looking at a nona wavebox next. Although noise is not too big of a concern, the humming is annoying at times.

chadfarmer
03/14/2011, 08:01 PM
i had a nano wave box on the back glass of my 120 and had a double wave

Gary Majchrzak
03/14/2011, 08:04 PM
I was wanting opinions which way to go vortech or tunze wavebox for 120 mixed reef to create a nice wave and gentle flow back and fourth any comments would be great thanksseek to create a gyre- not waves.

Vortech is the choice.

Will Haider
03/14/2011, 08:04 PM
I like vortechs probably because I have one ;)

rbredding
04/23/2011, 09:43 PM
I have both tunze and vortech powerheads...

anyone who tells you vortechs are silent is painting a rosy picture.. they are NOT.. I've got them on a fish only tank and anything over about 50% strength is easy to hear from across the room.. if they're on lagoon or wave making mode.. you can especially hear the unit ramp up, then slow down.. the pattern is unmistakable..

the tunze 6055s that I run, however ARE.... I have them set up to oscillate (alternately) and they create a mini wave in my tank by their selves.. they are silent, and I don't mean really quiet but if you're listening to them, you can hear them.. I mean the only way you can even tell they're on is to stick your ear on the outside magnet.. then you can hear them ramp up/ramp down...

I think that Vortechs are hot right now, because they are new.... so I think a lot of people are drinking the Koolaid where Vortech's are concerned.. but they are GOOD powerheads.. and they have great control features..

but having both... I prefer the Tunze (matter of fact, I just bought a nano wavebox to add to my Reef system.. can't wait till it arrives)

SoLiD
04/23/2011, 10:52 PM
Go with the Vortech. The wave box makes a lot of noise from the video's I've seen and seems to be a normal complaint of owners on most of the wavebox threads. You can youtube it and see what I'm talking about.

??? Um What??? You obviously have never owned one. Readers Disregard.

+1 Votech = Loud but Impressive Flow.... But Definitely Loud!

I have both tunze and vortech powerheads...

anyone who tells you vortechs are silent is painting a rosy picture.. they are NOT.. I've got them on a fish only tank and anything over about 50% strength is easy to hear from across the room.. if they're on lagoon or wave making mode.. you can especially hear the unit ramp up, then slow down.. the pattern is unmistakable..

the tunze 6055s that I run, however ARE.... I have them set up to oscillate (alternately) and they create a mini wave in my tank by their selves.. they are silent, and I don't mean really quiet but if you're listening to them, you can hear them.. I mean the only way you can even tell they're on is to stick your ear on the outside magnet.. then you can hear them ramp up/ramp down...

I think that Vortechs are hot right now, because they are new.... so I think a lot of people are drinking the Koolaid where Vortech's are concerned.. but they are GOOD powerheads.. and they have great control features..

but having both... I prefer the Tunze (matter of fact, I just bought a nano wavebox to add to my Reef system.. can't wait till it arrives)

+1

Amen Brother!!!

reeferlover
04/23/2011, 11:42 PM
i have three mp 40s and cant hear them at all unless my ear is on the motor vortech beat a wavebox any day

rbredding
04/24/2011, 12:38 AM
Koolaid...

SoLiD
04/24/2011, 12:52 AM
i have three mp 40s and cant hear them at all unless my ear is on the motor vortech beat a wavebox any day

Come on guy!!! Your shoveling it pretty deep... They might be silent if using the 3 of them with less than 10% power... But I doubt that too. :worried:

pblogic
04/24/2011, 01:51 AM
No offense but it would be nice to get some real data rather than this argument. Are the power heads rated in db?

gatorrx98
04/24/2011, 04:21 AM
Just added my first MP40wES and I can tell you that you can clearly hear it in the adjacent family room. In fact, my wife asked my why the aquarium is growling. :) That's how she described the sound as the pump ramps.

I will be adding a second one as soon as they are in stock locally. I'm definitely concerned how that will sound. Before anyone says anything, they are in perfect allignment, and the sound is purely the motor. Just think about how much quieter all pumps are when they are submerged. That is the obvious reason why. I did just dump my chiller when I installed my AI Sol Blues last weekend, so I have dramatically lower the sound output of my tank.

Love the controllability of the Vortech!

Dr Colliebreath
04/24/2011, 07:58 AM
Vortech keeps the noise outside the tank, so it isn't surprising that the animals outside the tank hear more noise than a submerged pump. Next question, do the animals in the tank care about the noise from submerged powerheads?

popper231
04/24/2011, 08:55 AM
Those people that claim the Vortech are silent or not as loud, what percentage do you set them and have you try different modes to hear the difference?

thanks.

footboard
04/24/2011, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know where VorTech's are manufactured? It almost seems to be the luck of the draw whether you get one that is somewhat quiet or unreasonably loud. I wonder what their quality control standards are for the bearings they use?

rbredding
04/24/2011, 02:42 PM
No offense but it would be nice to get some real data rather than this argument. Are the power heads rated in db?

On the Tunze 6055s:
I borrowed a neighbors sound pressure meter SIMILAR TO THIS ONE (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Pressure-Level-Meter-30-130-dB-Decibel-7-Range-PC-/330555676572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6a7579c) (it ranges from 30db-130db) and it did not register any difference (31db - ambient noise in my house) with the powerheads on vs off (at 12" from the magnet).. Tested with all other tank pumps off (skimmer/power filter)..

I haven't borrowed it again and tested since I bought the Vortech..

karsseboom
04/24/2011, 02:51 PM
Vortech are loud but by far the best pump in the world...So what do you want a big black box about 8 inches long? That dont do half the stuff and mp40 will do?

The olny reason people by tunze is because there cheaper, if they say different there trying to justify there purchase...lol

rbredding
04/24/2011, 03:10 PM
Vortech are loud but by far the best pump in the world...So what do you want a big black box about 8 inches long? That dont do half the stuff and mp40 will do?

The olny reason people by tunze is because there cheaper, if they say different there trying to justify there purchase...lol

you've OBVIOUSLY never used a tunze controlled powerhead...

you couldnt be more wrong (actually, maybe you can.. I'll check your replies)

using one tunze powerhead, nanowavebox, multicontroller 7096.. you can do every single thing that you can with 1 or 2 Vortech powerheads, but you'll have $200-$300 more in your pocket and it'll be truly silent (not "vortech silent")

by the way, I've got/run both systems on two different tanks..

karsseboom
04/24/2011, 03:13 PM
tunze wavebox does not have all the different settings the mp40 does. wireless? bulky? undertow affect?

and what do you mean you check my replies?

rbredding
04/24/2011, 03:24 PM
tunze wavebox does not have all the different settings the mp40 does.

and what do you mean you check my replies?

A tunze wavebox AND a tunze controllable powerhead (with 7096 controller) will do ALL the same modes that a Vortech will do:

*wave simulation
*simulation of tidal currents (wave making WITH current flow)
*building current/flow
*random flow
*feed mode
*includes moonlight (which will simulate moon phases)
*night mode
*storm mode (desedimentation)

actually, it will do more (given the included moon light/lunar cycle)

what i meant is that you still could be more wrong (than your previous post), and I was right.. you just illustrated it...

TUNZE CANNOT do the ES mode, but then again, that mode requires 3 or more vortech controllers (all wireless capable).. and for that, you're looking at nearly/over $1,200

it drives me crazy that the people bashing Tunze & hailing the virtue of Vortech, typically, have never even used a Tunze powerhead.. Tunze is a silent product, it's cheaper, and has more features available than Vortech currently offers with 1 or 2 powerheads...

karsseboom
04/24/2011, 03:33 PM
Were just talking about nano wavebox thats it. Not if you added this ot that, Just nano wavebox. So what can the nano wavebox do? by itself?

I like tunze too i think there great i just dont want a big box to kill the clean look of my tank and its not wireless and it dont have all the setting vortech has.

If your comparing a nano wavebox to an mp40 there is not compare IMO.

rbredding
04/24/2011, 03:44 PM
Were just talking about nano wavebox thats it. Not if you added this ot that, Just nano wavebox. So what can the nano wavebox do? by itself?

I like tunze too i think there great i just dont want a big box to kill the clean look of my tank and its not wireless and it dont have all the setting vortech has.

If your comparing a nano wavebox to an mp40 there is not compare IMO.

the wavebox is part of a system... just like the wireless vortech's are part of a system.. (one wireless driver is useless without another)..

I didn't realize we were comparing apples and 65 mustangs.. I thought this thread was intended to compare apples to apples..

by the way.. you can create wave motions and current with just two tunze powerheads, but the wavebox does a better job at it..

jbechel was looking for just waves.. (if that's all he wants, the wavebox does it better than any single vortech powerhead would)..
if he wants a circulation system (ie, multiple vortechs or the tunze system, wavebox/powerheads) then tunze beats vortech there too..

you pick it.. either way, tunze is a cheaper/quieter/lower maintenance solution..

karsseboom
04/24/2011, 04:06 PM
ok, but if I or should I say 90% of the people on reef central had the choice of picking an mp40 or a tunze nano wavebox. what would they pick?.most say mp40, i respect your opinion though but if i had to buy one pump i think i would have to buy an mp40.

Giz007
04/24/2011, 04:23 PM
I had one vortech it was not loud but you can here it over the tank but i loved it that much i had to get another.
They replace 2 6045 modified
the new one i got is really silent the older one was a little noisier out of the box.
They look great and take up little room
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/pulssx/ebay051.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/pulssx/SUNDAY0572.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/pulssx/SUNDAY0542.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/pulssx/ebay052.jpg

rbredding
04/24/2011, 05:08 PM
ok, but if I or should I say 90% of the people on reef central had the choice of picking an mp40 or a tunze nano wavebox. what would they pick?.most say mp40, i respect your opinion though but if i had to buy one pump i think i would have to buy an mp40.

that's just it...

it's not an opinion.. all I did was accurately represent the facts.. (something that was missing from many other posts in this thread, including yours..)

If someone asks a question, and we fill his head with half truths and propaganda, of course we can influence the decision he makes..

I think that if everyone on the board was given accurate and truthful information, they would choose Tunze. But as with many important decisions people make, they are typically more influenced by public opinion, rather than the facts on the matter.

have fun with your MP's... they're a good set of powerheads.. (I should know, I have an MP10 on one of my tanks and just sold two MP40s purchased for my 90 gallon tank..) When I did the research, and understood the intent behind the different systems and how they were best effective, I decided to do what was best for my setup, which was Tunze..

You're free to make any decision you like for your setup..

My options were:
*spend about $710 for two MPw40ESs.. (I was getting them for about $350/ea, brand new)
*spend $260 for a new Nano Wavebox, since I already had the Tunze 6055s and keep the other $450..

my setup, all included, was:
2X Tunze 6055s @ $410 total (been running on my system for over a year)
1X Tunze Nano Wavebox @ $260
total = $670

all new in box equipment

Gary Majchrzak
04/24/2011, 05:11 PM
sold Tunze after going Vortech over a year ago. 220 gallon aquarium.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/actinicFTS_April2011.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/actinicFTS3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/Goni6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/Goni5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/Goni4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/frag-2.jpg

Vortech battery backup
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/battery_backup.jpg

ANGRY JOHN
04/24/2011, 06:58 PM
its funny, how heated these debates can get. What should be done is a good ole comparison, like real testing, on the two products. I dont have the funds to to it, but if i did, i would.

ForSaleByAndy
04/24/2011, 07:16 PM
I have run both, and I personally prefer the Vortech.
For one, I really don't believe that "waves" need to be created in our little reefs.
I run my MP40s in 100% Reef Crest (yellow) mode. Yes, you can hear them ramp up, but you get used to it. Just set them for night mode when you're normally watching TV or are in bed.

The random alternating currents I have noticed my tank much prefers to the "waves" that a wavebox created. While a wave may look cool if you're LPS intensive, but for SPS, I have noticed better growth and polyp extension with the Vortech.

In addition, I always found that the only way to create a consistent wave was to have to ramp up the pump and the ensuing wave was too fast that what I've seen diving and snorkeling in nature. It almost looked fake to me in my tank and I wanted to keep things as natural as possible.

For me, it's a no-brainer as the extra space saved in tank by the Vortech makes it the clear-cut winner.

tkeracer619
04/25/2011, 01:18 PM
I think that if everyone on the board was given accurate and truthful information, they would choose Tunze. But as with many important decisions people make, they are typically more influenced by public opinion, rather than the facts on the matter.

Not likely. Many of us have used both and have decided on vortechs. Some of us have gone to tunze from vortechs. I think if you were to ask people who owned both and switched I think you would find more switching to vortechs. Some of that is obviously going to happen because tunze has been around longer but I won't be going back to tunze any time soon. If I was going to point to two reasons why it would be...

1) no cords in the water.
2) vortechs are easily rebuild able. They sell every component online in their store. If something goes wrong I can order the part instead of shipping the pump back (if under warranty) or throwing it away. The tunze uses a disposable design that is not user serviceable beyond changing out an impeller.

Gary Majchrzak
04/25/2011, 01:42 PM
its funny, how heated these debates can get. What should be done is a good ole comparison, like real testing, on the two products. I dont have the funds to to it, but if i did, i would.You don't need to own both a Tunze and a Vortech at the same time because a side by side comparison isn't even necessary- that's how big a difference there is between the two.

Just ask folks that have experience running both :wavehand:

Tunze makes great products but I'll choose a Vortech every time.

chadfarmer
04/25/2011, 03:26 PM
You don't need to own both a Tunze and a Vortech at the same time because a side by side comparison isn't even necessary- that's how big a difference there is between the two.

Just ask folks that have experience running both :wavehand:

Tunze makes great products but I'll choose a Vortech every time.

i had tunzes bought vortech and went right back to tunzes (the thing about the vortechs is that i came home from being out of town for the weekend and they fell off and was about a month old)

Gary Majchrzak
04/25/2011, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry that your Vortech fell off. I believe the instructions with each Vortech unit mention securing the dry side so it cannot drop to the floor.

rbredding
04/25/2011, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry that your Vortech fell off. I believe the instructions with each Vortech unit mention securing the dry side so it cannot drop to the floor.

I think i read that the wet side fell off, the dry side was hanging...

rbredding
04/25/2011, 08:16 PM
Not likely. Many of us have used both and have decided on vortechs. Some of us have gone to tunze from vortechs. I think if you were to ask people who owned both and switched I think you would find more switching to vortechs. Some of that is obviously going to happen because tunze has been around longer but I won't be going back to tunze any time soon. If I was going to point to two reasons why it would be...

1) no cords in the water.
2) vortechs are easily rebuild able. They sell every component online in their store. If something goes wrong I can order the part instead of shipping the pump back (if under warranty) or throwing it away. The tunze uses a disposable design that is not user serviceable beyond changing out an impeller.
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.. you can buy replacement powerheads.. depending on model $20-$170..

I'm sure if a system isn't quiet to begin with, adding a couple whirling motors on the exterior of a display is no big deal..

my loudest tank in the house, is running an MP10ES..

karsseboom
04/25/2011, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.. you can buy replacement powerheads.. depending on model $20-$170..

I'm sure if a system isn't quiet to begin with, adding a couple whirling motors on the exterior of a display is no big deal..

my loudest tank in the house, is running an MP10ES..

Are they running at 100%? dont run them at 100% and there not loud.

rbredding
04/25/2011, 10:51 PM
Are they running at 100%? dont run them at 100% and there not loud.
so.. their maximum flow shouldnt be used?? HAHAHA... thank you for illustrating my point..
:lolspin:

they're loud when in desedimentation mode, they're loud in wave mode, they're loud in random mode..

any time the speed of the propeller changes, you can hear it.. and typically it's in a rhythmical pattern not unlike someone tapping their finger on the counter..

if you want to hear a constant tapping (or clicking, or however you want to describe it).. get a Vortech.. because that's what they sound like in any mode that's not a constant speed or a slow ramp up..

and if you've got 3/4/5 or more of them.. you just hear it more..

drukkosz
04/26/2011, 09:52 AM
so.. their maximum flow shouldnt be used?? HAHAHA... thank you for illustrating my point..
:lolspin:

they're loud when in desedimentation mode, they're loud in wave mode, they're loud in random mode..

any time the speed of the propeller changes, you can hear it.. and typically it's in a rhythmical pattern not unlike someone tapping their finger on the counter..

if you want to hear a constant tapping (or clicking, or however you want to describe it).. get a Vortech.. because that's what they sound like in any mode that's not a constant speed or a slow ramp up..

and if you've got 3/4/5 or more of them.. you just hear it more..

I will have to agree with rbredding. I just upgraded form 55g to 90 and have 2 MP10w in it now. It’s the loudest piece of equipment in my tank and honesty I cant stand it. I emailed them and they even sent me two replacement dry sides but it didn’t really help. They are running on about 80% of power. I bought a tunze 6206 yesterday and will be delivered today, cant wait. I will run wavebox and turn MP10s to 50 just to minimize the noise.

BTW where did you get 6206 for $260?? i paid $315

cobra9
04/26/2011, 11:16 AM
Fact is, if you want waves nothing beats a wave box. Vortech's can simulate a wave pretty well but why spend more money for just wave effect unless your limited space..

I think waves effect is over rated and turbulent random flow is better so if that is the case It costs the same almost between tunze plus controller or vortech. Both are great. If you want a broader flow pattern vortechs are better. If you want aim-able flow tunzes are better.

If you want a silent tank tunzes are what you want. I cant hear my vortechs over the cooling fans or the TV or any game I might play on my computer but you can hear them if the room is quiet.

I have owned both and both have there uses. Anyone bashing either is biased, or just wrong.

Gary Majchrzak
04/26/2011, 01:53 PM
I think i read that the wet side fell off, the dry side was hanging...interesting. If this is the case I'd like to hear all the details :)

chadfarmer
04/26/2011, 03:47 PM
interesting. If this is the case I'd like to hear all the details :)

nope that means i have 800 dollars of pump not running when i had a tank full of sps (in my mind thats not right)

cobra9
04/26/2011, 05:39 PM
btw I have gen2 MP40's and in 3 years I have had the wetside fall off once. It was after over a year of straight use with no cleaning. It can happen but if everything is right it shouldnt happen, but do to the design it can happen.

cham
04/26/2011, 06:59 PM
seek to create a gyre- not waves.

Vortech is the choice.

I completely agree.

I've owned most of the power heads in this hobby from the economy stuff to the high end Tunze with multicontroller and you'll pry my Vortechs out of my cold dead hand. IMHO the wave "gadgets" are more for the hobbiest and less for the corals, waves do little to dislodge/suspend detritus and don't move very much water. Set them to 100% and let them rock.

After trying one Vortech I sold off my Tunze stuff.

I'll also add that Vortech customer service is A+. If you have a problem (even out of warranty) theres a good chance if you email them they'll hook you up. Unessesary but definately appreciated by this reefer.

cham
04/26/2011, 07:11 PM
One last comment, if you have sand hands down run Vortechs. The random wide flow is unbeatable

lacosta28
04/28/2011, 11:58 PM
I have 2 mp40's on my tank. The first one I bought is pretty loud and the manu date is april 2010. The sound doesn't bother me at all so I bought another mp40 2 weeks ago. The manu date on that one is april 5th 2011. I thought the thing was broken because I cannot hear it running at all. Just to be sure I turned off every other piece of eqiupment except the new mp40 and put it on high. Without looking at the tank I wouldn't have known it was on. I put my ear right on it and barely heard a slight hum.

I have not ownded any other brand so I can't comment on them. I am however very satisfied with my vortechs and would not purchase any other brand after owning them. I have to admit when I first got in the hobby I made the purchase solely based on looks and features. 1) Wireless communication. I was even able to upgrade the firmware on my older mp40 wirelessly in 3 minutes and you only need 2 to take advantage of eco smart mode. Can do sync, anti sync, or by the position in ES (same side, opposite, or back of tank) 2) Magnetic... no need to say more. 3) The controller to me is awesome. It's small, very easy to use, and looks great. Not some big ugly thing you try to hide. 4) The final thing that sold me was the look of the pump. The propeller and the exceptionally small footprint in the tank with no cords. All other pumps to me just look hideous which is almost always the wrong reason to purchase something but for me this time it worked out. I know all my intial reasons for purchasing the vortech were wrong but after everything I have learned I would still purchase vortech over any other.

That is just my opinion and is not fact. Does not mean it is the best for anyone else, just was the best for me.
I have no idea what they have done to the new one but I wish my other one was this quiet.

scsuboy18
04/29/2011, 09:20 AM
Well...I certainly don't have an MP40 and can't speak on the noise, but I do have an MP10...non ecosmart....you can hear it, but it's not overbearing and my tank is in the living room. The intensity is at 100%

Gary Majchrzak
04/29/2011, 02:09 PM
nope that means i have 800 dollars of pump not running when i had a tank full of sps (in my mind thats not right)something definitely wasn't right.... I find it odd you won't share with others what happened. Your Vortechs were only a few months old and the wet side fell off... or the dry side?

I've had Tunze Streams jump off their magnet mount. I've had other 'Streams' pivot to a crazy angle on their magnet mount. I've never heard of a properly mounted and secured Vortech falling off.

sjm817
04/29/2011, 02:39 PM
Wet sides falling off is not unheard of. Check the EcoTech vendor forum. There have been many posts of this. Its happened to me many times. The drive shaft seizes up or gets tight in the ceramic bearing, the whole wetside spins and falls off the glass. The dry side is still attached to the glass assuming you are using the stick on cord mounts.

Gary Majchrzak
04/29/2011, 03:34 PM
is this problem (drive shaft seizes up or gets tight in the ceramic bearing)
happening in new units?

Might it be a problem associated with calcium/alkalinity being too high?
(For example: Tunzes and MaxiJets are practically indestructible but can seize up if calcium/alkalinity is too high).

sjm817
04/29/2011, 03:41 PM
My units were not real new, but had the latest driveshafts in them which brought them up to "current specs". My ca/alk levels were pretty typical 400-425/8-9.5. My supplements were Kalk ATO and BRS 2 part. Everyone's water parameters are different so it may well have something to do with it.