PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR params?

mayjong
03/14/2011, 10:24 AM
Hey all-
Another FOWLR question-
What are the main chemical concerns with a FOWLER system? (example- in mixed reef maintain CA,MG, KH and control po4,ammonia,etc?)
Basically- what are the parameters of an established FOWLR system?
What’s important, and what’s not?
Thanks!

Recty
03/14/2011, 11:17 AM
The three things I watch are salinity, temperature and pH. I dont even really monitor pH, although I do check it from time to time if I think something is getting a little weird in the system.

You would want to know your ammonia is zero, but I never check it as I never have ammonia problems.

I do regular weekly or bi-weekly water changes just to keep trace elements where they should be, but there are some people who dont do water changes for months in their FOWLRs.

mayjong
03/15/2011, 02:28 PM
thanks!
so, no concern with Calcium, magnesium or KH?
(i can stop dosing two part?)

thanks!

Recty
03/15/2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, I dont know anyone in the FOWLR scene that doses any of those three things.

I dont know anyone who doses anything, period. About the only thing I ever add to my tank besides saltwater and freshwater is baking soda from time to time if I'm having a pH problem but I'd really rather just do a water change to fix that, I havent added baking soda since last time I performed hyposalinity treatment.

MrTuskfish
03/15/2011, 04:38 PM
thanks!
so, no concern with Calcium, magnesium or KH?
(i can stop dosing two part?)

thanks!
Don't forget the most controversial of all FOWLR tanks parameters---nitrate. A lot of ex-reefers and people who have read about reef tanks are obsessed with keeping FOWLR tanks at nitrate levels at, say <20. Although I think extremely high (maybe over 100ppm) nitrates are an indicator of over-all water quality; I think as long as they are under say 60ppm---you're fine. Many tanks are much, much higher in nitrates. But I don't want to start a war on this issue. If your LFS has a permanent FOWLR tank set up; just for the fun of it, check the nitrates. Over 100ppm, minimum, I'll bet. I haven't tested mine in a long time, but they're high and my fish are thriving.

mayjong
03/15/2011, 11:20 PM
thanks!