PDA

View Full Version : mag 9.5 maintenance

fatoldsun
03/14/2011, 10:28 AM
I have a mag 9.5 - it’s just a basic “utility pond pump” but I guess that’s par for the course. Not sure the pic of the label is easy to see – sorry. Anyway, this pump was picked up with some supplies and has been waiting for my DT to be ready. Alas, it is and the pump has been out of service for about 3 months, I want to open it up and perform some basic maintenance and was wondering if it’s as simple as I’d expect – remove the 6 stainless screws securing the cover and clean it out – anything I should be aware of – anyone run into problems with gaskets failing, etc once these are opened up, or are the made to be opened and cleaned?

Also, is there anything in there I should plan to replace? I’m guessing this is overkill for a basic utility pump but I am waiting on some other stuff so I figured I would try and have everything ready.
Thanks

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4692.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2448.jpg

gweston
03/14/2011, 11:14 AM
Mags are sealed so you can't maintain the motor/guts. The only maintenance I know of is to open it up and clean the impeller and impeller housing. If the impeller is old and worn, it can be replaced.

MelloW33
03/14/2011, 11:28 AM
All you do is remove those screws and take the impeller out. Just clean it under some hot water. I usually fill the sink up with water afterwards and plug in the pump to make sure it works alright.

I usually clean mine out monthly.

fatoldsun
03/14/2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks. Am I in trouble since it's been out of service for a while? Things were pretty overwhelming when the stuff all came home and some other stuff at home left me barely enough time to keep everything alive in my holdover tank running with just a HOB - anyway, it hasn't run in a while - I don't expect corrosion to be an issue but mineral deposit may be rock hard. Guess I'll know when I open it up tonight

coralnut99
03/14/2011, 12:58 PM
Magdrives have been cast-iron tough pumps for me for years now. I wouldn't sweat a bit over it sitting for a while. Once you take the screws off, you'll see there's really not much to maintain, and if something goes wrong, replacements are easy to get and won't break the bank. The only real "downfall" to the bigger magdrives is the volute (the cover over the impeller that forms the intake and outfeed). Just don't try to pick the pump up by the outfeed or some fitting attached to it. The weight of the pump has been known to make the volute crack. Always pick it up by the pump body. Lastly, there's a bunch of screws there. Don't tighten them down 100% at first. Screw them halfway down all around first, snug them up to the volute in sequence second, and tighten (but not TOO much) in the final go-round. That should make sure the volute and o-ring seat properly.

fatoldsun
03/14/2011, 01:14 PM
Magdrives have been cast-iron tough pumps for me for years now. I wouldn't sweat a bit over it sitting for a while. Once you take the screws off, you'll see there's really not much to maintain, and if something goes wrong, replacements are easy to get and won't break the bank. The only real "downfall" to the bigger magdrives is the volute (the cover over the impeller that forms the intake and outfeed). Just don't try to pick the pump up by the outfeed or some fitting attached to it. The weight of the pump has been known to make the volute crack. Always pick it up by the pump body. Lastly, there's a bunch of screws there. Don't tighten them down 100% at first. Screw them halfway down all around first, snug them up to the volute in sequence second, and tighten (but not TOO much) in the final go-round. That should make sure the volute and o-ring seat properly.

Awesome, Thank you for the tips! I have a bad habit of trying to get done too quickly and undoubtedly I'd over tighten one side and mis-seat the o-ring without the heads up - same would have gone for the damage to the volute had I not known how to handle it properly. Thanks!!

vitodog
03/14/2011, 01:20 PM
Great advise Coralnut99!

coralnut99
03/14/2011, 01:25 PM
No Problemo. They are a great product, but knowing a little something about them is always helpful. I readily admit to stripping one of those screws in the plastic volute a very long time ago.

fatoldsun
03/14/2011, 01:40 PM
and I'm quite sure you just saved me a ton of cursing and screaming and at least 1 argument with my wife for waking the kids - which all would have happened had I not seen this before I started :)

coralnut99
03/14/2011, 01:48 PM
and I'm quite sure you just saved me a ton of cursing and screaming and at least 1 argument with my wife for waking the kids - which all would have happened had I not seen this before I started :)

Boy, never thought I'd be fostering "domestic harmony", lol!

fatoldsun
03/14/2011, 01:54 PM
Boy, never thought I'd be fostering "domestic harmony", lol!

Don't sell yourself short.... Then again, the only domestic harmony in my house will come when my wife is satisfied that I have abandoned this (her words) silly and overpriced hobby

fatoldsun
03/15/2011, 07:06 PM
Not sure this will help anyone but I took some pics of my Mag 9.5 when I disassembled for cleaning.

Here’s the pump label
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4517.jpg

pump body
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2101.jpg
The top – or, as was pointed out to me, the volute
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3617.jpg
Here’s a close up of just that – keep an eye on that small rubber flap just before the outlet – mine was pretty stiff and fairly well “gunked” up. I guess it should be replaced but then again, I’m not sure what it does
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5244.jpg
Finally, the O-ring removed. I just inspected it and replaced it
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9543.jpg

coralnut99
03/15/2011, 08:15 PM
There's actually an A & B model. I could very well be wrong, but I think the only diff. is the B comes with stanless screws. Can anybody confirm or tell me I'm all washed up?

What o-Ring did you replace the old one with? I've never replaced one, and it looks like that one's actually custom-formed?

coralnut99
03/15/2011, 08:17 PM
That pump actually looks pretty darn clean. While you have it open, the one thing you should check is the shape of the magnet. If it appears "swollen", you might want to replace it.

dearmey
03/15/2011, 09:15 PM
I broke my plastic rod taking it apart for cleaning awhile ago. If you dont pull the front off correctly it will snap the rod. Its been sitting ever since.

fatoldsun
03/15/2011, 10:01 PM
What o-Ring did you replace the old one with? I've never replaced one, and it looks like that one's actually custom-formed?
I just reused the old one. Took it out carefully and inspected it. It was cleaner than I expected

fatoldsun
03/15/2011, 10:05 PM
There's actually an A & B model. I could very well be wrong, but I think the only diff. is the B comes with stanless screws. Can anybody confirm or tell me I'm all washed up?
oh and the label says "B" and I'm 99% sure all 6 screws were stainless. Not sure if that confirms your recollection or not...

tkeracer619
03/15/2011, 11:21 PM
They need to be soaked in vinegar twice a year.

Inspect the volute (cover) for any damage. Particularly the area that holds the impeller centered. If you see any wear replace it immediately. If it fails the pump will destroy itself. Be careful not to over tighten the volute when you put it back together.

Other then that its a pretty durable pump.

flyyyguy
03/16/2011, 12:32 AM
for all of your submersible pumps, short of any mass precipitation events due to improper dosing or accidents, all you need to do is drop it in a bucket of vinegar and let it run for a while every few months to keep it in tip top shape.

never let it build up in the first place and you will never need to take it apart nor replace anything

coralnut99
03/16/2011, 06:19 AM
oh and the label says "B" and I'm 99% sure all 6 screws were stainless. Not sure if that confirms your recollection or not... Looking back at the picture, they look like stainless, so for others following along, if you acquire a 9.5 "A" model, you may want to consider swapping out those screws. Not from any sort of contamination issue, but more from a maintenance issue as the screws break down.

coralnut99
03/16/2011, 06:22 AM
for all of your submersible pumps, short of any mass precipitation events due to improper dosing or accidents, all you need to do is drop it in a bucket of vinegar and let it run for a while every few months to keep it in tip top shape.

never let it build up in the first place and you will never need to take it apart nor replace anything

All these years and I never even thought of this approach. Sure beats taking all that stuff apart and re-assembling, and makes perfect sense. Thanks!

fatoldsun
03/16/2011, 07:14 AM
I thought the vinegar could break down the rubber - specifically the small rubber flap by the output. The o-ring is mostly covered

EllieSuz
03/16/2011, 07:32 AM
I pull mine out twice a year and run it for a while in a bucket of equal parts vinegar and water. That's all the maintenance I've ever done and it continues to run just fine.

fatoldsun
03/16/2011, 10:28 AM
I pull mine out twice a year and run it for a while in a bucket of equal parts vinegar and water.

Just curious, what's a while? Are you talking 5 minutes or an hour or more?

EllieSuz
03/16/2011, 11:41 AM
I think forty-five minutes to an hour should do the job. I'm mindful of remarks about the vinegar weakening rubber fittings. A local, who is our "go to" guy for advice has been known to soak a pump for days with no problem. The vinegar is meant to dissolve calcium build up. It will be interesting to see how long other people soak their pumps. Anyone?

fatoldsun
03/16/2011, 12:16 PM
I think forty-five minutes to an hour should do the job. I'm mindful of remarks about the vinegar weakening rubber fittings.

ok, thanks - that sounds like a great plan. Any concern about residual vinegar being introduced into the tank? Do you just run it for a couple minutes in fresh water before setting it back in the sump?

EllieSuz
03/16/2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, I rinse the pump in clear water, but some people actually dose vinegar to their tanks, so the little bit left couldn't harm.