PDA

View Full Version : T5/LED Combo Photo Period

tjs1974
03/14/2011, 11:40 AM
I recently upgraded my lighting and am looking for some suggestions. I have a 70g Tech tank, that's 36x18x24, so it's a little taller than most. It has been running a 4 bulb Tek fixture, with the following Giesmann bulbs:

Actinic+
AquaBlue+
Actinic+
Pure Actinic

Photoperiod has been 8 hours all bulbs, with 1 hour dusk/dawn on each side with the Actinic+/Pure Actinic. I've always had good growth in SPS, but never felt the colors were quite where they should be.

It was time to replace the bulbs, so I've been experimenting a little and have also added a blue ReefBrite LED strip. The RB really makes the colors pop all by itself with the cool shimmer effect. I've swapped out the T5s with the following:

Actinic+
ATI AquaBlue Special
UV White Actinic
Actinic+

(I also have a FijiPurple that is available for the mix, but didn't like it at first so removed it.)

Running the RB with the two Actinic+ diminishes the "shimmer" and "color pop" somewhat. So here are my main questions:

1. How long should I run the RB strip; and
2. In what combination with the T5s, i.e. stick with the 2 stage dawn/dusk with the RB and Actinic+s, or perhaps a 3 stage, with some time with just the LEDS.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate your comments.