PDA

View Full Version : Beananimal pvc size help!

keifer_unit
03/14/2011, 01:12 PM
I am build a 29 gallon nano reef tank with a 10 gallon sump. I want to use the beananimal overflow design but i was wondering if 1" pvc would be too great for 300ghp. The return pump is a mag 5 with head loss its around 300gph. I was thinking maybe using 1/2" or 3/4" pvc, has anyone ever tried this? I have a black acrylic overflow box that is 12"LX3.5"WX5"H, so if I do 1" bulkhead I will have 1x the diameter space between the holes. Any advice on this?

keifer_unit
03/14/2011, 01:58 PM
I could also return the mag 5 and get a mag 7, but I dont know if that would be too much flow through the sump. I also have a Vortech MP10 powerhead that is going to go in the tank. Any advice?

gweston
03/14/2011, 03:32 PM
I'm always for slightly oversizing and tuning back with ball valves as necessary. If I redid my overflow on my current 29g. I'd do 1" for the siphon, secondary, and emergency drains. For the pump I'd use a Mag7 and tune it down as required with a ball valve. For the return, 3/4" would be plenty.

If size of piping, and tank space is a concern, you could very well go 3/4" on all the piping and save yourself a few inches.

The 'gravity' flow rate for 3/4" pipe is about 660gph. 1" 960gph. That is ideal conditions. The pressure rating is obviously much higher, but only your return is pressurized. Your bean drain(s) are gravity siphon, not pressurized.

+ a few comments:

On my 29g/sump system. I use 2x Koralia 2's, and a HOB overflow running at about 300gph. Probably a bit less. It works ok. My complaint is that the two koralias take up a chunk of space. While not huge, they are rather imposing. A single MP10+ some decent from from a single or pair of returns (with loc-line to control direction) would be more than plenty. That HOB overflow is going to be my last. While losing siphon hasn't been a problem, it requires diligence. If I didn't periodically remove it, clean it, and restart siphon, it -would- lose siphon eventually. Air bubbles do collect over time and build up.

keifer_unit
03/14/2011, 07:57 PM
I'm always for slightly oversizing and tuning back with ball valves as necessary. If I redid my overflow on my current 29g. I'd do 1" for the siphon, secondary, and emergency drains. For the pump I'd use a Mag7 and tune it down as required with a ball valve. For the return, 3/4" would be plenty.

If size of piping, and tank space is a concern, you could very well go 3/4" on all the piping and save yourself a few inches.

The 'gravity' flow rate for 3/4" pipe is about 660gph. 1" 960gph. That is ideal conditions. The pressure rating is obviously much higher, but only your return is pressurized. Your bean drain(s) are gravity siphon, not pressurized.

+ a few comments:

On my 29g/sump system. I use 2x Koralia 2's, and a HOB overflow running at about 300gph. Probably a bit less. It works ok. My complaint is that the two koralias take up a chunk of space. While not huge, they are rather imposing. A single MP10+ some decent from from a single or pair of returns (with loc-line to control direction) would be more than plenty. That HOB overflow is going to be my last. While losing siphon hasn't been a problem, it requires diligence. If I didn't periodically remove it, clean it, and restart siphon, it -would- lose siphon eventually. Air bubbles do collect over time and build up.

Thanks for your advice, I think Im going to with 3/4" piping on everything. So I will have 3/4" drains on my beananimal overflow as well as for my return. I know with a mag 7 at 4ft with a couple of bends and and a check valve, I will have about 460gph which will be good.

I also have loc-lines too and was going to do some experimenting with them because I bought the Y piece instead of having to drill two holes in the glass. I know that when you add another exit in your piping you lose more gph but it think that being able to disperse the water better outweighs the gph.

I heard about how much a pain HOB overflow could be, Im glad I never went that route.

Also what size sump/refugium do you have for your 29g tank. I have a 10g. Im an 1" short for a 20g tall so the only thing I could do is a 15g tall.

Here is the link to my 29g nano reef build thread that I just started.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991011

gweston
03/15/2011, 10:56 AM
My sump is a 15 gal acrylic sump. Its actually an old wet/dry sump. I pulled some parts out. I use half of it for a refugium and the other half a return. The actual water volume in there is probably ~10 gallons though. It works well enough. A place to put chaeto,a pile of extra liverock, and a PH probe. I didn't put any sand in the fuge. I didn't think it was necessary.

Saw your thread. Looks great so far! I put a single 175w halide over mine. Plenty of light. I had 2x T5's over it before. It was plenty of light for soft corals, but I wanted an anemone so I had to replace it.

keifer_unit
03/15/2011, 04:28 PM
My sump is a 15 gal acrylic sump. Its actually an old wet/dry sump. I pulled some parts out. I use half of it for a refugium and the other half a return. The actual water volume in there is probably ~10 gallons though. It works well enough. A place to put chaeto,a pile of extra liverock, and a PH probe. I didn't put any sand in the fuge. I didn't think it was necessary.

Saw your thread. Looks great so far! I put a single 175w halide over mine. Plenty of light. I had 2x T5's over it before. It was plenty of light for soft corals, but I wanted an anemone so I had to replace it.

Yea my 10g is going to be a sump/fuge. I will see how the 10g does when its all setup and running and if I dont like it Im probably just going to go with the 15g.

I was going to go with a 4x T5 light setup and that will be plenty. Less heat with the T5s too.

reefermad619
03/15/2011, 05:49 PM
3/4" on the durso style pipe might be too small. The bigger the pipe, the quieter it is. With more room, the water will stick to the sides better. Vs. A smaller pipe where there is not much room.

keifer_unit
03/15/2011, 06:49 PM
yea but Im building the beananimal overflow so one of the drain is going to be a full siphon and the second on is going to be a durso. I just think that 1" drain is going to be hard to get a full siphon. I seen people posting that they have around 1500gph running through their 1" beananimal with no problem and still have room to go more.

reefermad619
03/16/2011, 12:15 AM
3/4" on the siphon is fine. I'm saying the smaller the pipe on the durso, the more of a chance you have it will be noisy. The smaller pipe will be more turbulent.

benzrider85
08/02/2011, 01:49 PM
I'm curious what the outcome of this was. Did you use 3/4" for everything and how did it work?

nemosworld
08/02/2011, 03:38 PM
3/4" on the siphon is fine. I'm saying the smaller the pipe on the durso, the more of a chance you have it will be noisy. The smaller pipe will be more turbulent.

I have a 20 long with 1/2 inch drains using the beananimal and its dead silent.
But if i was to do it again, i would go 3/4, just for a little more flow. Although mine is fine as is, and i have a mp10 for circulation.
450gph on a 20 long is a bit much to me, but thats just me.