PDA

View Full Version : Neptune controller help

Ethan Music
03/14/2011, 02:16 PM
Well My next piece of equipment is going to be a neptune controller the neptune jr before I place my order a little confused on how to control it via ipod touch,iphone or pc what exactly do I need. Do i need an internet jack by my aquarium? I already have wireless internet in are house if that helps? what cords should i buy with it do i need aqua notes to turn stuff on and off? Thanks hope I didn't confuse anyone with my question.

chimmike
03/14/2011, 02:20 PM
the AC jr. doesn't have internet connectivity/controllability. the Apex does.

Ethan Music
03/14/2011, 02:52 PM
so the new ones with the serial ports can't go wireless? I know they can be hooked up to a pc and use aqua notes with a cable but no wifi connectivity? If so going back to the drawing table lol.

Ethan Music
03/14/2011, 05:55 PM
ok so what if I did decide on the neptune apex lite for 370 i know theirs no ph would add one later on. what would i need to be able to turn stuff on and off plus get emails sent to me by wifi? Im guessing a router of some kind ?

liquidfunk
03/14/2011, 05:59 PM
You'd probably have better luck posting this in the Neptune forum.

Midnightsun
03/14/2011, 06:47 PM
All you need to add is a gaming modem and you will be wifi.

tbundy
03/14/2011, 09:40 PM
A USB gaming wifi adapter works with the apex. The lite apex has ph but no orp or the jacks to control tunze streams. You can run cat5 straight to the controller aswell. If your broadband modem doesn't have a router built in you can buy a cheap network switch or router at a big box store or online. Run a cat5 from your modem to the WAN port on the router then another cable to your controller and your pc. Once connected follow the instructions in the manual. I would suggest taking 30-45 minutes to read the manual before attempting to set up the controller

Ethan Music
03/14/2011, 10:55 PM
Hey thanks for all your help guys im going to go with apex lite shoulda bought this first lol replaces alot of stuff from outlets to timers and heater controllers..

Midnightsun
03/15/2011, 05:21 AM
A USB gaming wifi adapter works with the apex. The lite apex has ph but no orp or the jacks to control tunze streams. You can run cat5 straight to the controller aswell. If your broadband modem doesn't have a router built in you can buy a cheap network switch or router at a big box store or online. Run a cat5 from your modem to the WAN port on the router then another cable to your controller and your pc. Once connected follow the instructions in the manual. I would suggest taking 30-45 minutes to read the manual before attempting to set up the controller

A USB gaming adapter will not work!! You need something that will take the ethernet cable like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Gaming-Adapter-/300535304980?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item45f94cd314#ht_500wt_1156

tbundy
03/15/2011, 07:33 AM
Actually the best adapter to use is the netgear wnce2001. It connects to your wireless network and converts it to cat5 that plugs into the ethernet jack on the controller. To power it use the walloutlet not the USB since the apex uses 12v on the aquabus and a pc uses only 5v for it's USB

Midnightsun
03/15/2011, 07:43 AM
That will work also along with several others. I am a Mac person so I use an Airport Express and it will work fine on a PC to. :D Small compact and neat but a little more $ http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Ethan Music
03/15/2011, 10:34 AM
Omg thanks guys been reading the online manual helped alot placed my order already won't be able to use it till monday who likes work...Plan on getting it up and running than converting it to wireless. I think I am going to go with the netgear adapter tbundy suggested can get it at bestbuy and know a friend who works there so i can probably get it for cheap. So you suggest plugging that into the wall outlet instead? Works for me leaves me with another outlet on the eb8.