PDA

View Full Version : Royal Exclusiv Vertex Alpha VX-170, 200, 250 Owners

vargomat
03/14/2011, 03:07 PM
I'm in the market for a new skimmer and these caught my eye. I was wondering if there are any VX-170, 200, or 250 owners on this forum that could chime in and let me know how they like the skimmer and how it compares to their previous skimmer.

Also which of the 3 are the best bang for your buck. I suspect that the 200 is the best bang for your buck as it has the bigger pump, but is less costly than the 250.

Any other incite anyone has about similar/comparable skimmers would be appreciated as well.

I'm looking for something high end and efficient.

Thanks!

goofball310
03/14/2011, 05:15 PM
This would probably be the best thread help you out:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701505

FYI, Bubble King is coming out with their own line of cone skimmers.

pmrossetti
03/16/2011, 02:17 AM
I'm in the market for a new skimmer and these caught my eye. I was wondering if there are any VX-170, 200, or 250 owners on this forum that could chime in and let me know how they like the skimmer and how it compares to their previous skimmer.

Also which of the 3 are the best bang for your buck. I suspect that the 200 is the best bang for your buck as it has the bigger pump, but is less costly than the 250.

Any other incite anyone has about similar/comparable skimmers would be appreciated as well.

I'm looking for something high end and efficient.

Thanks!

it's the 300, but thought you'd like to see it anyway. go to 1:30 enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOexWiZgkw

vargomat
03/22/2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info and the links.

Much appreciated!!!

moondoggy4
03/22/2011, 12:27 PM
The best skimmer is not the best if it is the wrong size for your tank. What size is your tank? What do you want to keep ? Do you feed a lot?

vargomat
03/22/2011, 03:41 PM
I think you are right... but I don't think that a little overkill in this department would be bad.

I have a 90 gal with a 50 gal sump/refugium. I have a lot of sps, lps, and high end zoanthids/paly's. I understand that if my water is too clean the zoa's and paly's may suffer, but then I'd have to dose more food/cyclopease.

I am running bio pellets in a nextreef smr1 reactor and I think a better skimmer would help.

Plus, this is my hobby that I like to spend extra $ on. My other equipment is top notch, my skimmer is so so... this seems the obvious place to spend my money especially if I want to spend less time doing maintenace.

I have a Bubble Magus BM160 protein skimmer. It works pretty well and is rated up to a 215 gallon tank.

Thanks.

Reef or Die
03/22/2011, 05:13 PM
I am considering the Alpha 200 for my 72 gallon bowfront.

Don't think you can go wrong with it on a 90 G.
Check out the nog shots of what it pulls on this link

http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:a-reef-in-the-sky&catid=51:totm&Itemid=63

skh
03/22/2011, 05:29 PM
I think you are right... but I don't think that a little overkill in this department would be bad.

I have a 90 gal with a 50 gal sump/refugium. I have a lot of sps, lps, and high end zoanthids/paly's. I understand that if my water is too clean the zoa's and paly's may suffer, but then I'd have to dose more food/cyclopease.

I am running bio pellets in a nextreef smr1 reactor and I think a better skimmer would help.

Plus, this is my hobby that I like to spend extra $ on. My other equipment is top notch, my skimmer is so so... this seems the obvious place to spend my money especially if I want to spend less time doing maintenace.

I have a Bubble Magus BM160 protein skimmer. It works pretty well and is rated up to a 215 gallon tank.

Thanks.

I think all of those Vertex skimmers are too oversized for your tank (neck diameter + air draw). If you want to spend a lot of money on a nice skimmer, maybe wait for the new BK cone skimmers, which have smaller necks and lower (but adjustable) air draw numbers than the alphas, which will probably work better on your tank. Or you could go with a nice ATB cone skimmer like the new Elegance. Lots of high end choices that will work better on your tank size.

2004jetta
03/22/2011, 07:17 PM
I agree with skh, I run a 250 on my 300g system and I sometimes feel like I could get away with a 200

mnchartier
03/23/2011, 08:48 AM
I run a Alpha 170 on my 90 gal with 20 long sump, just make sure that you can sit it in 9-10" of water, at 8" it can be a pain to dial in (from my experience with it)

Bello
03/23/2011, 03:20 PM
The Alpha 200 on a 260G. Bit irritating to dial in, but once done, its ridiculous!

The pump is awesome... stop, start, whatever... build quality is excellent. And completely comes apart for cleaning.

vargomat
03/24/2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks all for the responses. I should also add that in the not too distant future, I'm planning on adding a large frag tank to the system. My thought is I would get something that could handle the bioload.

I appreciate all the incite!