PDA

View Full Version : New Snowflake clown hurt

Atomic081
03/14/2011, 03:43 PM
I got a new snowflake clown yesterday. He is only about a inch and a half long and is in my 2.5g quarantine tank with a 50w heater and a air stone. After acclimating him yesterday he had already started to eat some new life spectrum small fish formula pellets. I came home today to him swimming in circles and noticed that he is only using one fin. The injured fin looks like it has little white strands coming from it. almost like he was picked on. He is the only fish in the QT so i doubt thats the issue. I saw none of this behavior last night and even have a video of him using both fins fine. I know clownfish are pretty hardy little fish so i hope he can pull through. any ideas what could have happened and is this a big deal?

Thanks
Atomic

SkullV
03/14/2011, 04:28 PM
I would guess it is Lymphocyctis due to very poor water quality. 2.5g is not nearly enough to QT any fish (save for some tiny tiny gobies). If you test your water you are likely to find high ammonia levels.

MarinaP
03/14/2011, 04:57 PM
Most likely you are burning his fins off with ammonia. Set up a 10G QT. If he develops red patches indicating bacterial infection, treat with Maracyn2 saltwater at double dose.

Read QT FAQ

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846124

ssavader
03/14/2011, 07:22 PM
Agree with above comments on QT tank. 2.5G is way to small. Very difficult to keep params stable in such a small tank. Is there any type of filtration system on this tank? Any chance the clown injured his fin on the heater? If the fins are intact, and have white trailers, these could be copedpod parasites. Lymphocystis looks like white milky bubbles on the fins. Clear bubbles could be second degree burns from the heater.

Atomic081
03/14/2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the help!!! Ill make sure not to use anything less than 10g as a QT next time. I got him home from the LFS last night and put him in the 2.5g with fresh saltwater. So its not like he has been there for weeks or even days. I was going to transfer him over to my 30g in a week after the tank finished it cycle. Well the cycle is finished, im just waiting for my CUC to get here via reefcleaners.org.

I think its just as likely that he is burnt from the heater. He was kinda hosting it as soon as he got in the tank.

Here is a video of him at about 6pm est.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/atomic081/th_2011-03-14_17-57-59_934.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/atomic081/?action=view&current=2011-03-14_17-57-59_934.mp4)

What should I do now? im mixing up a new batch of SW to change the 2.5g. I could also add him to my 30g before the CUC if you think that would be better. Its been running now for almost a month. The last 2 weeks with a skimmer just waiting for the back ordered CUC.

Atomic081
03/14/2011, 07:41 PM
btw, it looked like white trailers. like little white strings. They are gone now and he is swimming much better. Im yet to do anything.

SkullV
03/14/2011, 08:40 PM
No it is not just as likely he was burnt by the heater. You can get an ammonia spike in a 2.5g from a clown in less then an hour if they are stressed (it makes them go to the bathroom). If your cycle is complete and all you are waiting for is a CUC then get him in the display tank immediately. If your cycle is not over (I hate to say it but many people cycle WITH clowns) so do what you need to do.

Atomic081
03/14/2011, 08:43 PM
thanks, ill get him in the tank asap!!!

popwin
03/15/2011, 03:34 PM
sounds to me infection. if you want to do a dip (forgot the name but contains copper).

I got a new snowflake clown yesterday. He is only about a inch and a half long and is in my 2.5g quarantine tank with a 50w heater and a air stone. After acclimating him yesterday he had already started to eat some new life spectrum small fish formula pellets. I came home today to him swimming in circles and noticed that he is only using one fin. The injured fin looks like it has little white strands coming from it. almost like he was picked on. He is the only fish in the QT so i doubt thats the issue. I saw none of this behavior last night and even have a video of him using both fins fine. I know clownfish are pretty hardy little fish so i hope he can pull through. any ideas what could have happened and is this a big deal?

Thanks
Atomic

SkullV
03/15/2011, 08:03 PM
Any update on this little guy since he went into the DT?

Atomic081
03/16/2011, 03:25 PM
I put him in my 30g and he is doing great. I jumped on this pretty quick so i dont think any harm is done.

Thanks!!