PDA

View Full Version : People Eaters

PONCHDOG2000
03/14/2011, 07:42 PM
Let's see some...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/ponchdog2000/peopleeaters.jpg

XSharkboyX
03/14/2011, 08:04 PM
There is a sticky thread above for zoanthid and palythoa photographs.

kichimark
03/15/2011, 12:05 AM
There is a sticky thread above for zoanthid and palythoa photographs.

Which one? the one Mucho started or Lily started? I don't see anything wrong with this thread. Just asking to see peoples people eaters.

rysher
03/15/2011, 07:26 AM
why are they called people eaters?

DustinB
03/15/2011, 09:15 AM
Because they have a fluorescent green mouth.

650-IS350
03/15/2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246758

kichimark
03/15/2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484012

rysher
03/15/2011, 12:33 PM
ok, thank you, am new to this hobby.

650-IS350
03/15/2011, 02:15 PM
Post on both threads attached if you please that's what those 2 are for.

XSharkboyX
03/15/2011, 02:36 PM
Post on both threads attached if you please that's what those 2 are for.

Thanks 650. Yes the picture threads are for posting pictures. The zoa discussion forum is for discussion.

popwin
03/15/2011, 02:36 PM
what's the pink small one at bottom right corner?

Let's see some...

mallorieGgator
03/15/2011, 09:51 PM
If I had some people eater zoas I would post them. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing "show off threads" for certain color morphs. I think the sticky is just if you want to show your general pictures and don't want others to contribute to a thread.

johnny
03/16/2011, 06:43 AM
I agree with Mallorie. It's nice to have "show me your xxxx" threads rather than having to sort through long general photo threads with as much discussion as photos :)

I wish Reef Central would put a button on the message board that would remove all text from threads and just leave the pictures!

Nick

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 09:04 AM
Reefing is about so much more than just posting pictures.....

mallorieGgator
03/16/2011, 09:50 AM
Reefing is about so much more than just posting pictures.....

Agreed but posting pics of what you're proud of is part of it too. :) they balance each other out on a forum. It's nice to see pics as well as posts on meaty subjects.

johnny
03/16/2011, 09:51 AM
Sharky... No one is saying it's not. But we still like our picture threads... if you don't like them, don't contribute...

To get back on track, here are a few polyps I have that may be PE...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105/johnnyq627/aquarium/22Jan2011/maroon_ppe4.jpg

PONCHDOG2000
03/16/2011, 10:29 AM
Cool zoas Johnny! Popwin, those are a small frag of a flower pot I rescued from the lfs. If it grew larger it would be beautiful. Pink body and yellow centers...
Here is a better pic of my ppe. I think these are super cool with the color contrast in the back. I just wish they grew faster! I need roids for my corals!

I am very proud of what my tank looks like and I love admiring others' as well.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/ponchdog2000/Zoo.jpg

PONCHDOG2000
03/16/2011, 10:33 AM
What sort of camera and lens are you using Johnny?

Carrera75
03/16/2011, 11:17 AM
Here is a picture of my Red People Eaters. The pic was taken right after I put this frag in my tank. These palys are fast growers, at least in mt set up. They have gone from 8 polyps to 40 polyps in 3 months :-)

I must say that I feed them mysis once a week and perhaps this is why they have multiplied very fast.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/yvr_75/IMG_2842.jpg

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 11:19 AM
Agreed but posting pics of what you're proud of is part of it too. :) they balance each other out on a forum. It's nice to see pics as well as posts on meaty subjects.

Dont be fooled by the "innocence" or lack there of, of most "show off threads." These threads are put in place typically by sellers to get people to PM the poster for overpriced frags. Its sort of an unspoken secret, sellers use to suck newbies in... The zoanthid forum is not a selling/gaging interest forum, its a discussion forum. This is clearly stated in the forum sticky. A collective "picture show off sticky thread" was created to stop this.

Jarred1
03/16/2011, 11:51 AM
Sharkboy you don't need to go into threads and just start bashing people, the original poster just wanted to see some pics of the different kinds of people eaters not to sell them or anything. The sticky at the top of this forum has way to many pages of pics to search through to find the people eater type zoas.

PONCHDOG2000
03/16/2011, 12:00 PM
I am a hobbyist. That is all. I am not trying to sell anything, I make plenty of money in my profession. This is one of my hobbies and I participate in reefcentral as a hobby. I am here to learn and bring value with insight and advice when possible. This is a thread to show pictures. Just like your thread started to see sharks...

"Lets see your Sharks and Rays"-02/09/2011 02:18 PM

TooFast
03/16/2011, 12:03 PM
I can't wait till I can keep zoas in my new tank!

650-IS350
03/16/2011, 12:07 PM
should someone then suggest to mods to create a sticky thread for " PEOPLE EATERS only ", zoanthids only ??? would that make folks happy

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 12:58 PM
Sharkboy you don't need to go into threads and just start bashing people, the original poster just wanted to see some pics of the different kinds of people eaters not to sell them or anything. The sticky at the top of this forum has way to many pages of pics to search through to find the people eater type zoas.

I never once called anyone by name or bashed anyone in this thread. I was just being informational. I used words like typically, and most.

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 01:00 PM
This is a thread to show pictures. Just like your thread started to see sharks...

"Lets see your Sharks and Rays"-02/09/2011 02:18 PM

There isnt a picture sticky at the top of the aggressive fish forum.... :)
Just sayin...

kichimark
03/16/2011, 01:05 PM
There isnt a picture sticky at the top of the aggressive fish forum.... :)
Just sayin...

Tell the mods to make one.

kichimark
03/16/2011, 01:09 PM
Here is a picture of my Red People Eaters. The pic was taken right after I put this frag in my tank. These palys are fast growers, at least in mt set up. They have gone from 8 polyps to 40 polyps in 3 months :-)

I must say that I feed them mysis once a week and perhaps this is why they have multiplied very fast.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/yvr_75/IMG_2842.jpg

I also feed other types of zoas with some people having a hard time growing and they grow fast. Sure fish poo can work for some but in the wild I know they are getting other food items to truely flourish.

kichimark
03/16/2011, 01:14 PM
I like what most have been saying as well. I know some picture threads in the past have been posted with the intent to sell but that is not always the case. To see some pictures of your progress and even post on what was done would be ideal posts. For someone to post to just to "see your xyz" is no different than other post to see your "xyz color" and with the former to get turned to the sticky and not the other is hypocritical.

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 01:21 PM
I like what most have been saying as well. I know some picture threads in the past have been posted with the intent to sell but that is not always the case. To see some pictures of your progress and even post on what was done would be ideal posts. For someone to post to just to "see your xyz" is no different than other post to see your "xyz color" and with the former to get turned to the sticky and not the other is hypocritical.

Trust me, I dont mind picture/informational threads. If people want to compare shots, and growing techniques I think thats just swell.

MUCHO REEF
03/16/2011, 01:28 PM
I think we need to take a deep breath, step back and touch gloves. Both sides of the aisle feels very strongly for and against issues here including this one. I don't think it will ever go away, so we will just have to deal with the pros and the cons here.

I haven't seen any bashing. I see strong opinions from both sides as there has been those in the past who have indeed used this forum for the sole purpose of selling. I can see why some are suspicious.

This forum used to be filled with sometimes 70% of just pictures. Little or no text, nothing shared about the system, no text at all, just pictures. I don't think these guys are against pictures, I just don't think everyone wants to see this forum go back to nothing but pictures/eye candy.

Lets all share, discuss and fight fairly, or should I say, just discuss.

Mucho Reef

BACK ON TOPIC

kichimark
03/16/2011, 01:36 PM
I think we need to take a deep breath, step back and touch gloves. Both sides of the aisle feels very strongly for and against issues here including this one. I don't think it will ever go away, so we will just have to deal with the pros and the cons here.

I haven't seen any bashing. I see strong opinions from both sides as there has been those in the past who have indeed used this forum for the sole purpose of selling. I can see why some are suspicious.

This forum used to be filled with sometimes 70% of just pictures. Little or no text, nothing shared about the system, no text at all, just pictures. I don't think these guys are against pictures, I just don't think everyone wants to see this forum go back to nothing but pictures/eye candy.

Lets all share, discuss and fight fairly, or should I say, just discuss.

+1. So lets see your PE Mucho and tell us about them :) jk jk

Mucho Reef

BACK ON TOPIC

+1. So lets see your PE Mucho and tell us about them :) jk jk

650-IS350
03/16/2011, 01:58 PM
SO can someone then make a " SPECIFIC POLYP, PE, Zoanthid " sticky page?

johnny
03/16/2011, 03:12 PM
Dont be fooled by the "innocence" or lack there of, of most "show off threads." These threads are put in place typically by sellers to get people to PM the poster for overpriced frags. Its sort of an unspoken secret, sellers use to suck newbies in... The zoanthid forum is not a selling/gaging interest forum, its a discussion forum. This is clearly stated in the forum sticky. A collective "picture show off sticky thread" was created to stop this.

That is a very ignorant post. First off, "MOST" is not even close to true. I know I have never done that, nor has the OP of this thread. Besides, I'll take my chances with a ZOA forum with people posting pictures of their zoas, than a ZOA forum with people like you who constantly troll other's threads.

Also, perhaps you need to read the forum stickies a bit more closely and hold your arrogance until afterwards. As someone who was here when Agu originally posted the sticky, I'm very familiar with it and it reads:

I would prefer we keep this forum limited to discussions re: zoos such as care requirements, posting pictures of what you have and general information regarding zoos, not a bunch of threads providing offerings now but that will have no value to the board in 3 months.... Lets keep it educational here people....

Back on topic, these are the purple hearted green skirt zoas that many people get mixed up with PPEs and jokers as under low light they tend to lose the purple ring:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105/johnnyq627/aquarium/22Jan2011/phe_redring7.jpg

Nick

johnny
03/16/2011, 03:15 PM
What sort of camera and lens are you using Johnny?

It's just a nikon 880 without a lens. I need to buy a new camera, but the nikon was the cat's a$$ on this forum back in 2000 ;) It's a bit outdated now haha.

Nick

MUCHO REEF
03/16/2011, 03:44 PM
Come on guys, I'm asking politely.

That's why I created the photo sticky to prevent this.

"How about a place to collectively share some of your greatest Zoanthid and Palythoa photos. There's no need to worry about having a great camera, just share what you can along with some details of how well they grow for you, the little things you do to keep them happy and any pertinent details that will help someone else achieve the same success that you have attained. A picture along with a story or background will make this a very interesting thread I think."

It's great to see the pictures all in one place. You can log on and see the new pictures everyday in one thread. It never moves off the first page and you won't have to go searching for it via the search button or flipping through page after page. But we can't stop/prevent anyone from posting picture threads in the forum either. Many are only asking so the forum doesn't become cluttered with a dozen picture threads as it use to be. But if the purpose is to share, I would want my pics to stay on the first page for everyone to see and not move off the first page after a week or so. Posting in the sticky keeps them on the first page forever. Again, I enjoy pictures too, but like a lot of reefers here, it's not all that I come here for.

It's nothing worth fighting about, just trying to calm things down here. If people post pictures in the sticky for quick daily viewing, that's great. If not, so be it.

Last call for getting back on topic

Mucho

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 03:47 PM
Johnny,
Thanks for posting your opinion. I won't fire back with name calling or anything of that sort... I just have a simple question for you.
What is educational about posting pictures of 1 and 2 polyp designer frags?

MUCHO REEF
03/16/2011, 03:48 PM
Well I tried.

Friday Night
03/16/2011, 03:55 PM
Well I tried.

lol...... mooch.

dead horse member?

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 04:02 PM
Well I tried.

Sorry Mucho, we posted close to the same time... I have said my part...

johnny
03/16/2011, 04:57 PM
Sharkboy, it's a shame your memory doesn't go back more than 5 days... if it did, you'd remember yourself posting a picture of your zoas to this same forum and not in the sticky thread:

I dont usually post in picture threads. However, since blues are my favorite... This is my alltime favorite zoanthid, hands down.
Please dont PM me for frags, or the name or anything. Last time I posted a pic of these I got slammed with tons of PM's. I am not selling these. Thanks.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/Sharkboy87/IMG_0284.jpg

But hey, I guess that's different, you're the kettle we're the pot.

To make this thread a bit more educational, you mentioned "designer" zoas. No mention to designer zoas have been posted on this thread. But so that you can learn the defintion of the adjective designer from dictionary.com:

designed or created by or carrying a label or identification of a designer, especially a fashion designer, but often mass-produced: designer jeans.

So let's relate to this hobby in an example... Clothes (Coral) -> Pants (zoas/palys) -> Cutoff Relax Fit Blue Jeans (People Eaters) -> Tommy Hilfiger Cuttoff Relax Fit Blue Jeans (Jason Fox Blood Shots). Attaching a person's name to the coral is what makes it designer... not labeling it with a community accepted nickname such as watermelon, eagle eye, etc etc.

Mucho I appreciate the picture thread... many time I enjoy browsing general zoa pics in that thread... however, sometimes I just want to see a certain type of zoa, spiderman, sea foam, or sometimes just general blue zoas...

Also, many times the individual type of zoa threads have information regarding that specific zoa and their care... take my example above where I spoke of how I got the purple rings to show up on my polyps... I learned that from a thread about that type of zoa a few years back.

BTW Shark, rather than posting your gripes on other people's threads, start a new thread to air your concerns or post to the many threads you are already involved in which discuss designer zoas, zoa prices, etc. The OP was not breaking any of the forum's rules and didn't deserve your comments and insinuations.

My apologies to the original poster for being part of hijacking his thread....

Nick

xaos
03/16/2011, 09:48 PM
So what kinda conditions are you guys with the awesome purple (and red!) people eaters growing them in?

Lights?
Supplements?
Feeding?

I mean, the pictures are great and all, don't get me wrong...but what *I* really want to know is how I can make the PPE (or whatever) I eventually acquire look as nice as those posted here :D

PONCHDOG2000
03/16/2011, 10:09 PM
I have a 29 gal biocube with 150 watt k2 viper 14k phoenix bulb. These ppe are in the middle of my tank. I have a lot of acans and nps so I feed a lot of food any ways... mysis, shrimp, squid, silver side, dts, and marine snow. Most of the time I have low flow but I vary my flow from time to time. I have never used supplements or additives. I do 10 gal water changes every week though. In my experience pes grow very slowly.
I would like to hear other peoples' conditions and advice too.:beer:

XSharkboyX
03/16/2011, 10:55 PM
Sharkboy, it's a shame your memory doesn't go back more than 5 days... if it did, you'd remember yourself posting a picture of your zoas to this same forum and not in the sticky thread:

But hey, I guess that's different, you're the kettle we're the pot.

To make this thread a bit more educational, you mentioned "designer" zoas. No mention to designer zoas have been posted on this thread. But so that you can learn the defintion of the adjective designer from dictionary.com:

designed or created by or carrying a label or identification of a designer, especially a fashion designer, but often mass-produced: designer jeans.

So let's relate to this hobby in an example... Clothes (Coral) -> Pants (zoas/palys) -> Cutoff Relax Fit Blue Jeans (People Eaters) -> Tommy Hilfiger Cuttoff Relax Fit Blue Jeans (Jason Fox Blood Shots). Attaching a person's name to the coral is what makes it designer... not labeling it with a community accepted nickname such as watermelon, eagle eye, etc etc.

Mucho I appreciate the picture thread... many time I enjoy browsing general zoa pics in that thread... however, sometimes I just want to see a certain type of zoa, spiderman, sea foam, or sometimes just general blue zoas...

Also, many times the individual type of zoa threads have information regarding that specific zoa and their care... take my example above where I spoke of how I got the purple rings to show up on my polyps... I learned that from a thread about that type of zoa a few years back.

BTW Shark, rather than posting your gripes on other people's threads, start a new thread to air your concerns or post to the many threads you are already involved in which discuss designer zoas, zoa prices, etc. The OP was not breaking any of the forum's rules and didn't deserve your comments and insinuations.

My apologies to the original poster for being part of hijacking his thread....

Nick

:lol:
I am astounded by your lack of self control… Even after I stated that I wasn’t going to lower myself to your level and attack, you still had to chime in like a crappy ringtone… If you had gone on to read my next post, you would have read that I provided information on the polyps I posted. But hey its ok we all make mistakes… I don’t judge. There isn’t anything educational about posting pictures of named designer polyps or frags… I knew that before I posted the question. Which BTW johnny, is called a rhetorical question.
I guess I shouldn’t even bother asking you questions since you toss them aside and go for a throat attack like a rabid dog who needs to be put down… :blown:

Thank you so much for the definition of “designer” jeans… Did you know it could be used as an adjective before you looked it up? Oh wait that was a question… I will try to refrain from doing that again… :sad2:

The truth is bro, your definition of “designer corals” and mine are comprehensively different…

While you believe it take someone’s name in the coral nickname to make it designer, I do not… If you had gone on to do more research you would have unveiled the fact that the word “designer” can be used as a modifier. Hence why I used the description of “Designer Corals.”

Anyone who names/creates something (whether they put their signature on it or not) and tries to market it to a vast majority of the population is in turn making it a designer product… Worthless individuals like Fox and Tyree do this all the time, they just choose to put their name on it... This can be seen with the latest and greatest trendy named corals, which appears you are into along side with the others who like to “show them off” in eye candy threads…

The truth is, “Eye Candy Threads” should really be called “Eye Sore Threads.“ I don’t know a single reefer personally who thinks 1 and 2 polyp named frags on white plugs is eye candy or worthy of being "shown off." Especially when the rookie fragger used such a massive amount of superglue that the glue is larger than the frag…

I guess in order to keep you and all the trendy coral collectors out there happy, we are going to have to find a place where the pictures of all your designer named trendy frags can be placed… Oh wait, this place already exists. Its called coralpedia.

If you honestly believe that show off threads are not used to sell polyps, you are even more naive than I suspected.

BTW johnny, last time I checked we were on the same side… I along with a few other friends stuck up for you and your views in one of your own threads about greed in the hobby… I wouldn’t expect that again.
You complained about price, yet price and naming go together like crack and the hood… :uzi:

I guess my signature paints a big target on my back... Thats ok, I think sharkboy will soon to evolve into sharkman... :idea: I can take the heat...

If you choose to debate this further we can take it to PM.

Johnny, I want u to know I still love you, even if we do not agree... :inlove: :love2: :beer:

Sincerely,
SB

kichimark
03/16/2011, 11:45 PM
:lol:
I am astounded by your lack of self control… Even after I stated that I wasn’t going to lower myself to your level and attack, you still had to chime in like a crappy ringtone… If you had gone on to read my next post, you would have read that I provided information on the polyps I posted. But hey its ok we all make mistakes… I don’t judge. There isn’t anything educational about posting pictures of named designer polyps or frags… I knew that before I posted the question. Which BTW johnny, is called a rhetorical question.
I guess I shouldn’t even bother asking you questions since you toss them aside and go for a throat attack like a rabid dog who needs to be put down… :blown:

Thank you so much for the definition of “designer” jeans… Did you know it could be used as an adjective before you looked it up? Oh wait that was a question… I will try to refrain from doing that again… :sad2:

The truth is bro, your definition of “designer corals” and mine are comprehensively different…

While you believe it take someone’s name in the coral nickname to make it designer, I do not… If you had gone on to do more research you would have unveiled the fact that the word “designer” can be used as a modifier. Hence why I used the description of “Designer Corals.”

Anyone who names/creates something (whether they put their signature on it or not) and tries to market it to a vast majority of the population is in turn making it a designer product… Worthless individuals like Fox and Tyree do this all the time, they just choose to put their name on it... This can be seen with the latest and greatest trendy named corals, which appears you are into along side with the others who like to “show them off” in eye candy threads…

The truth is, “Eye Candy Threads” should really be called “Eye Sore Threads.“ I don’t know a single reefer personally who thinks 1 and 2 polyp named frags on white plugs is eye candy or worthy of being "shown off." Especially when the rookie fragger used such a massive amount of superglue that the glue is larger than the frag…

I guess in order to keep you and all the trendy coral collectors out there happy, we are going to have to find a place where the pictures of all your designer named trendy frags can be placed… Oh wait, this place already exists. Its called coralpedia.

If you honestly believe that show off threads are not used to sell polyps, you are even more naive than I suspected.

BTW johnny, last time I checked we were on the same side… I along with a few other friends stuck up for you and your views in one of your own threads about greed in the hobby… I wouldn’t expect that again.
You complained about price, yet price and naming go together like crack and the hood… :uzi:

I guess my signature paints a big target on my back... Thats ok, I think sharkboy will soon to evolve into sharkman... :idea: I can take the heat...

If you choose to debate this further we can take it to PM.

Johnny, I want u to know I still love you, even if we do not agree... :inlove: :love2: :beer:

Sincerely,
SB

Pretty harsh. How about we just chill for a bit http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/bbrich57/chill_pill.gif and lets get back to reefing? There are plenty of topics that need to be discussed on the page.

650-IS350
03/17/2011, 12:09 AM
MODS can you create a people eater picture sticky??? Problem solved.

AGYDAL
03/17/2011, 12:16 AM
Poncho-how far do you have your light above your tank? I have the same light on a nano and very similar looking people eaters to your reds yet they don't seem happy with the light like yours do... how do you feed them, are you directly feeding them or are they just catching the floaties in the water?

IMO-reef central is like a classroom, everyone learns differently...it appears that we have someone who is definitely not a visual learner, and possibly the kid that would remind the teacher 10 seconds before the end of class that the previous nights homework has yet to be collected...just ignore him and keep posting pictures, hooray for picture threads!

SIR PATRICK
03/17/2011, 12:26 AM
I have a couple of mine here, last 2 replies-

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246758&page=45

johnny
03/17/2011, 05:59 AM
So what kinda conditions are you guys with the awesome purple (and red!) people eaters growing them in?

Lights?
Supplements?
Feeding?

I mean, the pictures are great and all, don't get me wrong...but what *I* really want to know is how I can make the PPE (or whatever) I eventually acquire look as nice as those posted here :D

On the tank I just tore down I was using dual 250w 14K HQIs. No supplements other than water changes and baking soda to keep alk up. The new tank has 3 250w 14k HQIs and a calcium reactor instead of dosing baking soda.

BY FAR, the thing that I've seen affect my zoas the most is water quality. For years I used a hydrometer and one day it just decided to start reading inaccurately. Salinity on the hydrometer read 1.026, but I had a lot of issues. I bought a refractiometer and found out my hydrometer's reading of 1.026 was really 1.019, which meant my salinity was 1.033. The corals REALLY did not like that.

Also, when my ALK dropped below 7 my colors faded and faded bad. When I tried keeping my temp at 80-82 instead of 76-78, my growth slowed.

If I put certain zoas, including PEs in too high of light, they grow quick but they flatten and pale.

Nick

DustinB
03/17/2011, 09:38 AM
How long did it take for them to come back? I have some RPEs that bleached to a very light pink color and don't open up real wide. I have them on the bottom of the tank under slight shade and they haven't changed in about 2 weeks.

johnny
03/17/2011, 09:49 AM
They haven't :) I left them in the high light so they would grow out and now they are in a temporary holding tank while I finish my tank transfer (got called out of town for the week for work right in the middle of my tank transfer).

On average though with ones I have moved in the past, it has taken upwards of a month of not touching them, not moving them to have the color come back.

Nick

markgsa
03/17/2011, 11:52 AM
Here are mine. RPE. They grow really fast for me. Got them in a 28g nanocube 150w(XM 20k) hqi, an mp10 for circulation on 3/4 power. Feed all my corals about twice a week with some reefroids or coral frenzy mixed with enriched brine shrimp. Also keep at bottom of tank. Crappy pics, Best I can do.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/elcapitancortez/RPE10-12p-1.jpg

More, they are everywhere.
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/elcapitancortez/RPE25p.jpg

PONCHDOG2000
03/17/2011, 12:05 PM
Here is a picture to see the angle and distance of my light to tank. I don't target feed my zoas, they catch floater byers for the most part. But, I do spot feed my grandis polyps. Those will eat a ton of food!
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/ponchdog2000/light.jpg
I am still learning and getting familiar with my mh. I have had it for about 6 months. I originally started with the standard pc lights that were stock with the bc. So, when I upgraded to the mh I basically put all my corals on the bottom for a week or two then slowly moved the corals up. But I have had times where I underestimated the intensity of the mhs and saw my corals get torched... I think I have had those ppes for probably 1 year maybe 2. They have grown from 2 polyps to 14. Not as fast as I would like... Thus the supply side of determining cost...

RokleM
03/18/2011, 07:35 AM

That is a very ignorant post. First off, "MOST" is not even close to true. I know I have never done that, nor has the OP of this thread. Besides, I'll take my chances with a ZOA forum with people posting pictures of their zoas, than a ZOA forum with people like you who constantly troll other's threads.

Actually, XSharkboyX is correct. I'm not saying it's the case in this thread, but this is a VERY common issue we see and the mods watch it closely.

Jarred1
03/18/2011, 07:44 AM
PONCHDOG2000 what kind of flow do you have your RPE's in?

PONCHDOG2000
03/18/2011, 10:22 AM
When I was a rookie I posted a question in this forum and got my head bit off. That was like 5 years ago... This is ridiculous. I am not interested in participating here anymore. I am not surprised that you have problems retaining or encouraging people to participate.

kichimark
03/18/2011, 10:43 AM
When I was a rookie I posted a question in this forum and got my head bit off. That was like 5 years ago... This is ridiculous. I am not interested in participating here anymore. I am not surprised that you have problems retaining or encouraging people to participate.

I am here for you bro. Don't mind some folks. I like your post actually and see nothing wrong with it. We all should participate because we all can bring something to the forum. I know you got loads of info and help which can be valuable to some. Lots of folks just remember how bad it used to be and whenever they see a picture up get all uptight. Times change and things need to evolve with it. If people want to see some pictures (that are not to sell) and how it got that way and advice then so be it. They just need to realize sometimes their actions are causing what I boldened in your post. I say stay and don't let them have their way.:beer:

kichimark
03/18/2011, 10:44 AM
by the way are you going to CFM?

Jarred1
03/18/2011, 12:27 PM
^+1

Sharkboy I understand why you post the things you do but if we want this forum to be active again you can't go throwing peoples thread off course. There are many threads you can use to throw your opinion about how you feel on the topic of hyping of zoas and what not. You have done it many times and people are getting upset about it because it makes them feel unwanted and unneed; as you can see PONCHDOG2000 said they will no longer be contributing to this forum. When I see your name it just makes me want to click away from that thread because I know what is going to be inside already. We all know how you feel about this already so please control yourself and leave what you are doing to the mods because that is what they are here to do.

MUCHO REEF
03/18/2011, 12:50 PM
Let's see some...

I think we just need to get back to the OP's original question. How bout it everyone? :wavehand:

Mucho Reef

kichimark
03/18/2011, 12:56 PM
Sounds good...I don't got no people eaters....that I know of. Im gonna head to the store. Lets see if I get anything.

Jarred1
03/18/2011, 01:41 PM
I was hanging on to this thread to see if anyone else knew about it!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1931948&highlight=let+your+people+eaters+fly

Scopus Tang
03/18/2011, 11:36 PM
Here's another one with some more background info on PEs, but the above posted one has great pictures.

http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7158982

popwin
03/21/2011, 04:03 PM
so all zoas with fluorescent mouths are called eaters?

Because they have a fluorescent green mouth.

cody6766
03/21/2011, 06:22 PM
Its the green mouth coupled with the characteristic white stripes on the stalk when closed up. There may be another trait or 2, I forget.

Here are some of mine. The color is hard to capture in a pic. They have a green iridescence that looks as if it's isolated to the top tissue layer. Deeper down they're purpleish blue, but not like a PPE is purple.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_9tPmaU9n4fY/TNM55ttt0iI/AAAAAAAAA5g/TarfcgtwDsQ/s720/Zoas%20-%20PE%20-%20Mar%202010.jpg

I got them really cheap too. they were on the bargain frag rack.

Scopus Tang
03/22/2011, 03:52 PM
Little write-up I did on the PE zoanthids as part of a PE zoanthid catalogue (google it you're bored);

Members of family Zoanthidae are arguably the most commonly named of all corals, and it is in fact a member of this group which is commonly identified as having first started the naming craze of corals. Blane Perun first collected, propagated, named and sold PPE (aka Purple People Eaters) in order to help fund a children’s charity. He tells the story on his own web site, Farms of the Sea. This particular polyp has ranged in price from $200/polyp to its current price of around $20 to $50/polyp, and has inadvertently set the standard of a higher price for members of this particular species of zoanthids. The slow growth rate of the PPE polyp insures that it continues to be in high demand by hobbyists who feel they need to acquire this icon for their aquarium.

Perun originally identified this particular polyp as a palythoa, and thus they are still commonly (and incorrectly) referred to in the hobby as palys. However, Reimer later classified all Indo-Pacific PE's by DNA into their own species, Zoanthus gigantus. Care should be taken when identifying PE zoas as Zoanthus gigantus however, as Caribbean People Eaters are currently classifed as either Zoanthus pulchellus or Zoanthus solanderi. Further genetic research is required to determine if in fact these two groups of very similar zoas are the same species.

The PPE polyp exhibited a set of easily identifiable characteristics and based on these characteristics a significant number of additional color morphs, many of them much more colorful than the original, have since been identified. These morphs are collectively grouped and referred to as PE (aka People Eater) zoas. It has been suggested that the People Eater moniker was given because of the large green mouth that this group exhibits.

The characteristics which distinguish members of this species include the following;

A large, typically colorful, oral disc;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202010/Zoas%20and%20Palys/PPE23April2010.jpg

A neon green mouth;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202010/Zoas%20and%20Palys/OrangePE28April2010.jpg

Although in some color morphs speckling can make the mouth color difficult to distinguish;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202010/Zoas%20and%20Palys/colormorphedHDDPE28April2010.jpg

And white (watermelon-like) striping on the underside of the polyp;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Misc/March%202009/MiscPEpalystripes27March09.jpg

In my personal experience, most PEs also have short, fairly blunt-tipped tentacles in their skirt;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202010/Zoas%20and%20Palys/WhitePE6April2010.jpg

Additional Info: Some morphs exhibit a bluish ring around the green mouth which distinguishes them from similar morphs. Morphs with the bluish ring are sometimes distinguished with the word “True” in their name, such as these True Green PEs;
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202010/Zoas%20and%20Palys/TrueGreenPE28April2010.jpg

A. Grandis
03/23/2011, 12:05 AM
:hmm4:

Oh yeah! ...

:dance:

Bump!

Grandis.