PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question...

corahhhhline
03/14/2011, 08:02 PM
Over the past year, I changed from a 20 gallon high to a 37 gallon cube. One of the reasons for the size of the new tank was the fact that I spent almost $300 on the light unit for the 20 gallon. It's an AquaticLife T5 w/ lunar LED's, and the whole thing is driven by the built-in timers. It was a fantastic setup for the 20 gallon, but I find that it's not quite enough for my 37 gallon cube.

The 20 gallon was 24 x 12 x 16
The 37 gallon cube is 24.5 x 18.5 x 21
The light is 4x24watt T5's. I've also added an Ecoxotic Panorama LED Module w/ whites & blues ([12] 1 watt LED's).

My question is this - what would be the best source of supplemental lighting to add to my existing system that would allow for me to eventually keep a a few sps, a clam and good lighting for an anemone?

Here is the AquaticLife lighting system (4x24 watts): http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_4_Lamp_Light_Fixtures_w_Lunar_LEDs_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

corahhhhline
03/14/2011, 08:35 PM
Would one of these things...pointed at an anemone at the bottom of the tank work?
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_PAR38_LED_Aquarium_Lamp_-Ecoxotic-XX06850-FILTBULD-vi.html

corahhhhline
03/14/2011, 08:36 PM
...or should I just be looking for a whole new 6 bulb setup or something?

I wish that I had access to a PAR meter to see how far off I am from being "good"

rtparty
03/14/2011, 08:41 PM
Change the bulbs, very first! That will increase PAR quite a bit.

You are going to be limited to keeping SPS up on the rocks, directly under the bulbs. Clams might work on the sand but I would go with a low light clam.

As for supplementing I can think of a few things.

1) Reefbrite LED strips

2) Can't you link the Aquatic Life fixtures? Like buy a 2 bulb unit and link it in?

That would give you 6 bulbs over your tank which is a much better situation than 4 over a tank that is 18.5" wide.

corahhhhline
03/14/2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the response. I did change the bulbs before moving to the cube. I just took a look at the Reefbrite LED strip. They are using 3watt LED's, which would give off considerably more light than my 12 1 watt additional fixture.

My AquaticLife unit is a 4 bulb system. It doesn't offer additional linking. I mean...I guess I could just purchase an extra one! :) The Reefbrite states that it's as bright as a single T5 bulb, so I guess that buying an extra 2 bulb unit would be a better option, right?

corahhhhline
03/14/2011, 09:21 PM
How long do you let T5's run before replacing them?

rtparty
03/15/2011, 07:47 AM
The Reefbrite states that it's as bright as a single T5 bulb, so I guess that buying an extra 2 bulb unit would be a better option, right?

No not necessarily.

The Reefbrite will put out more PAR than a 2 bulb unit.

With an Aquatic Life fixture I would be replacing bulbs about every 10 months.

Tankdiver83
03/15/2011, 08:09 AM
T5's should be replaced about every 6 months. If you add more T5's then you should be able to keep almost anything that you want. If you dont want to spend to much look at a current-usa metal halide. With that you would be able to find the right lighting for your tank and keep any coral you want.

corahhhhline
03/15/2011, 08:43 AM
No not necessarily.

The Reefbrite will put out more PAR than a 2 bulb unit.

With an Aquatic Life fixture I would be replacing bulbs about every 10 months.

Thanks again for the response rtparty. I have a couple opinions in the responses. Your opinion is that I should go with a single Reefbrite over adding an additional 2-bulb T5 unit.
I realize that post count isn't indicative of knowledge, but the last response stated that I should add an additional 2-bulb unit, but it was that person's first post ever.
Do you know if there are a PAR readings anywhere so I could compare a 2-bulb T5 unit to a Reefbrite LED unit?
Thanks again!

NatureNerd
03/15/2011, 09:25 AM
Tagging along. Does anyone know any PAR numbers from the Reefbrites?

Or, does anyone run them over a SPS reef tank?

rtparty
03/15/2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks again for the response rtparty. I have a couple opinions in the responses. Your opinion is that I should go with a single Reefbrite over adding an additional 2-bulb T5 unit.
I realize that post count isn't indicative of knowledge, but the last response stated that I should add an additional 2-bulb unit, but it was that person's first post ever.
Do you know if there are a PAR readings anywhere so I could compare a 2-bulb T5 unit to a Reefbrite LED unit?
Thanks again!

Saying that T5's need to be replaced every 6 months shows me that their knowledge is not based upon facts. (looks to me like they are trying to boost their post count)

T5 bulbs, if properly cooled, can last 12 months. I even know of a guy locally that ran his bulbs for 18 months before replacing them and his tank is SPS dominated. Things looked great even after 18 months. He noted that growth had slowed but nothing was showing ill effects.

There are quite a few threads showing the PAR that the ReefBrite LED's put out. You will have to search for them.

A middle of the line T5 setup will not out compete a good LED setup. Even the best T5 fixtures (ATI) won't compete with a good LED setup in terms of PAR.

I am a T5 guy myself. I have used them for the past 5 years. Right now I have a little 7.5g cube lit with a single PAR30 bulb from Rapid LED. The tank doesn't have any coral right now but will when I get back from my vacation next month.

We will see how the LED's do. Plenty of threads show that LED's can keep corals just as well, if not better, than other lighting systems. I am reserving my opinion for a little bit though. My first go around with LED's wasn't a great success but LED's have come a LONG way in the last 2 years. My LED setup was terrible compared to what you can get now.