PDA

View Full Version : Increase foam production with air pump?

LouH
03/14/2011, 09:45 PM
Is it possible to generate more bubbles in a skimmer if an air pump is used to deliver air to the venturi? Of course this is assuming that the pump delivers more air than the venturi can draw.

twon8
03/14/2011, 11:52 PM
I think you would be better off using an air stone in the skimmer body if you want to use an air pump

tkeracer619
03/15/2011, 12:38 AM
No, it will stall out the pump.

HanoverFist
03/15/2011, 01:41 AM
What about an adjustable air pump? It turns way, way, down.

I was considering this earlier when I eliminated a noise source and only noise that remained was the noise of the venturi line sucking air. If I could replace it with a pump and adjust the air flow down real low that would get things pretty silent.

LouH
03/15/2011, 07:52 AM
I commented about the noise issue in the ASM thread. I run two skimmers, one for each overflow. One is a G-3 model, and the other is a G-2. I run ozone through the G-2 via an air pump through the ozonator and into the skimmer's venturi. This pump makes almost no noise, but it doesn't make much skimmate either. The G-3 on the other hand makes about 3/4 cup a day. I was considering increasing the air pump volume to see if I get more bubbles/skimmate. Another factor at play might be the ozone itself. Perhaps it is breaking down the organics so that there is less to adhere to the bubbles and be pushed up into the collection cup?