PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Have Brooklynella...Can I do This?

chuckawd
03/15/2011, 05:50 AM
I recently got a pair of TR Ocellaris clowns whom, after 1 week in QT and 1.5 weeks in my DT, have developed Brooklynella. They are getting a whiteish fuzz over the heads and eyes however, they are still eating like ravenous beasts and are not showing any increased respiratory needs. So, I know it's not ich and I am about 95% sure it's Brooklynella.

My question it, since I tore my QT back down, is there any reason I can't just take 2 gallons from my DT in a bucket, treat the clowns with Quick Cure, let them be for a few hours then release them back in the DT? I would just take 2 gallons from my 20 gallon DT in bucket and treat for an hour then put back into the DT.

steelhead77
03/15/2011, 09:55 AM
I recently got a pair of TR Ocellaris clowns whom, after 1 week in QT and 1.5 weeks in my DT, have developed Brooklynella. They are getting a whiteish fuzz over the heads and eyes however, they are still eating like ravenous beasts and are not showing any increased respiratory needs. So, I know it's not ich and I am about 95% sure it's Brooklynella.

My question it, since I tore my QT back down, is there any reason I can't just take 2 gallons from my DT in a bucket, treat the clowns with Quick Cure, let them be for a few hours then release them back in the DT? I would just take 2 gallons from my 20 gallon DT in bucket and treat for an hour then put back into the DT.

If your clowns have Brook and are not treated IMMEDIATELY with Formalyn, they will be dead in about 2-3 days. Guaranteed. Unlike ich, brooklynella is a guaranteed killer. Also unlike ich, they cannot fight this off on their own. Formalyn is the only thing that will cure Brooklynella and it must be done exactly according to the directions on the package. In a hospital tank for 4 or 5 days. You must use an airstone to oxygenate the water as the formalyn will deplete oxygen quickly.

Good Luck.

Sk8r
03/15/2011, 11:39 AM
Use a quick set up qt with tank water and a plain floss filter, powerful circulating pump, and airstone. No sand, no rock, change floss daily.