PDA

View Full Version : Review: CAD Lights 'New' LED light system

eastcoaster1
03/15/2011, 09:35 AM
I received one of CAD Lights new 24” LED lights the other day and thought I would post pictures and initial impressions. I don’t have a light meter and the fixture isn’t setup over a tank so at this point all I can offer is my subjective opinion.
Disclaimer: this is my first experience with LED lighting. I have a general understanding of the technology but I’m not in a position to debate how the vendor chose to design the light or how it compares to others. That said, please don’t start the ‘it’s a cheap Chinese-made light, my DYI fixtures is way better’ debate. It’s a relatively inexpensive out of the box solution, not a custom DYI project, so from the start it’s unrealistic comparison.

Build Material:
The fixture was lighter in weight than I expected, which initially made me think it was poorly made. However after thinking about it I realized I was comparing it to other halide and T5 fixtures I’ve used, which feel heavier due to reflectors, ballasts, etc. Once I adjusted my frame of reference I took a more objective approach and looked at each component individually.
-‘Shell’ of the fixture is made of aluminum. I don’t know how to tell if it’s simply painted or powder coated, but I would suspect it’s painted.
-End ‘caps’ of the shell are plastic held in place by 6 screws
-Reflector sheet surrounding the LEDs is plastic painted with a shinny mirror-like paint. I’m concerned what will happen when/if this begins to peel off. The fixture does include a full acrylic splash guard, so if that is used then the paint will at least be protected from salt spray and the risk of wear from cleaning will be reduced.
-Mounting legs are plastic. They slide into a grove that runs the length of the shell (which allow for mounting on tanks of varying widths), and include plastic thumb screws to secure it to the walls of the aquarium. Mounting legs are hinged allowing the fixture to be pivoted one like a clam shell once attached to the aquarium.
-Hanging kit is metal. From a design perspective it looks like something I could have made after a trip to a decent hardware store. Other fixtures I’ve owned have used a sleeker, less obtrusive system. I would have liked to see them paint the brackets on top of the fixture black so they blended in better. The brackets come pre-attached using screws, so if not being used you will have 4 holes in the top of the fixture.
-Power cable attaches on the side of the fixture to the right of the LCD display.
-Cooling is achieved using a very small fan mounted on one end of the fixture. Its speed and volume ramps up or down depending on how much the LEDs are dimmed. If the fan becomes too loud over time it would be easy to replace as it’s attached to one of the removable end caps.
-Electrical build quality seems good. I took the fixture completely apart and all wires were neatly soldiered, no loose connection, missing screws or signs of poor assembly.

LEDs:
There are 45 LEDs – 12 blue and 33 white. Each channel can be dimmed using either the buttons on the side of the fixture or the include remote control. Fixture does not include a timer or controller so it’s not possible to automatically create a dawn to dusk effect. To me the purpose of the controls is a one-time adjustment to achieve a pleasing color mix, not something I would mess around with every day.
As I mentioned earlier, I don’t have a way to measure the light output so any statements on the light quality are purely subjective. My initial impression is that I wish it was brighter. Not that it doesn’t hurt your eyes to look directly at the LEDs, but I was hoping to have a bit more power so I could dial it down if needed. Without any PAR measurements to prove otherwise, my gut tells me most people would want to run it wide open if they’re interested in growing medium light coral. Doesn’t seem bright enough to grow SPS.
I haven’t placed it over a tank yet so can’t comment on how it makes fish or coral look.
Light spread is fairly broad so I would guess it will need to be mounted close to the water.

Thats if for now.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28058
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28060
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28059
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28057
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28052
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28050
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28049
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28047
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28056
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4080&pictureid=28044

eastcoaster1
03/15/2011, 09:36 AM
Double post

eastcoaster1
03/15/2011, 09:46 AM
Double post

Midnightsun
03/15/2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the review. I think it is important to mention this is not a high power system by any means. 45 led lights at 1 watt each for a total of 45 watts.

SaltyWaters
03/15/2011, 06:06 PM
I would like to see what it look like on the tank

MHG
03/18/2011, 06:12 AM
1000 Island Aquariums in Brooklyn have this for $325... I was thinking of getting it but I am not sure... I dont think I will be having any SPS corals. Mostly LPS

Acrotrdco
03/18/2011, 12:27 PM
I think all the bulbs are actually burnt onto the PCB without the "star base"? Good luck and hope that none of them would burn throughout its entire lifespan, because if it does,

1. You have to solder it out and replace it yourself, but since most LED comes with the star base PCB, you need to get rid of that star base before soldering it onto the PCB.
2. With 1-2 burnt bulb, chances are the entire group will flicker or simply can't be turned on.

need2retire
10/15/2011, 02:15 PM
Hi,
How's your Cadlights LED working out so far? Still happy with it?

I'm considering getting the 36" version. I can see the the legs are adjustable, but can't tell how far they can extend from the light fixture. My tank is 40" long ... So I would need the legs to extend a minimum of 2" inches from each side. Can you please let me know how far the legs can extend out on your fixture? Thanks.

eastcoaster1
10/16/2011, 11:56 AM
Returned it and built my own LED fixture.

I wouldn't recommend CAD products or the company to anyone.

fisheroo
11/29/2011, 11:12 AM
Returned it and built my own LED fixture.

I wouldn't recommend CAD products or the company to anyone.

+1!I wish I did little more research on the company before I ordered!Bad customer service!

jjohn3845
02/09/2012, 01:52 AM
+1. I definitely do not recommend ordering from this company. The tank is nice, but I have been trying to get the missing parts replaced for a month. I still can not use the tank. Here is the really short version.

BTW, the empty 22gal size actually holds 16 1/2 gal of water. You can get 17.4 gal in if you let water run over the rim! My standard 20 gal tank which has an internal sump built into it, holds more. I have 16 gal in it with rocks, sand, pumps, heater, powerheads. So, when I thought I was adding 2 gal capacity, I actually lost 4 gal. They give you a bunch of false BS to try and justify this.

When delivered, it was missing the pump, the hanging kit for the LED light, and the hinge/clips/handle for the glass canopy. I finally got the pump and light hanging kit. But, then they said the canopy does not come with a hinge/handle (as pictured). It is just 2 loose pieces of thin glass without enough clips to hold it onto the tank. I told them that I have to have the hinge/handle, and they supposedly located and mailed them to me. That was 2 weeks ago. And, they want me to pay them to ship the missing hinge/handle.

The LEd light functions are ridiculous. You have to manually change the modes on the light. You have to go past an all white lights on (blues off) to get to the moonlight mode. Of course this freaks the fish out and they nearly kill themselves. My clown layed on the bottom of the tank for over 24 hours not moving. CAD can not tell you how the light is actually supposed to function. The remote does not work.

The light is going back. The entire set up may be going back if I dont receive the hinge/handle/clips. The fish are jumpers, so i cant leave it open top.

I read the bad reviews and knew it was a risk. I was nervous about it. But, I also thought " people often complain and blow things out of proportion.". . . Well it is all true. BEWARE. This is the worst ordering experience ever.

If you take the risk, use paypal or the best credit card service you have for payment.

septicdeath
02/10/2012, 12:47 AM
I'm surprised no one has come to cadlights defense and posted. One of the user mentions "all the bad posts" and I have to admit my searches were never for bad service or anything like that, but doing a search for cadlights rimless I got one hell of a lot of positive reviews. I would be upset If I bought a 30 gallon tank and it only held 25 gallons, but water volume is one of the easiest math calculations from jr high, I always do the math at L, W, D and have an idea before I even order, if you've been into aquariums you know they all use standard sizes, my jbj 28 holds 22 gallons, but I knew that doing calcs before I ordered, I'd continue to complain, I've seen Eddie reply to just about Every complaint, so keep complaining, screwing people over doesn't go well and spreads fast online..

jjohn3845
02/10/2012, 03:01 AM
I read about many negative experiences with cad, some positive ones. And positive and negative ones about the tanks. It amazes me how one can comment in these forums about their experiences, and then be attacked or insulted. It would seem to me that these forums are for the sharing of information and experiences. It is up to each individual to make up his or her mind re what to do with that knowledge.

Yes, it is easy to figure volume with volume calculators or mathematics. But it does not really work if the dimensions listed differ from the dimensions you actually receive. Makes it hard to figure huh. A bowfront also complicates the calculation when you dont have the specific dimensions to calculate that portion. Guess I did not expect a 22 gal to hold less than a 20 gallon. I thought maybe people should be aware of this. I was not bashing. . .I was stating a fact. I would have appreciated having had that info, along with accurate measurements. As I stated. . It is a nice tank. It is a beautiful tank. The tanks looks are the only reason I still have any of the system. Otherwise all would have gone back.

Sorry, I can not complement them for leaving important components out of my order, mis-representation of the canopy, a poor/lack of description of the way the light actually functions, and not receiving calls back. It has not been just one thing. There has been a problem with every component.

Yes, they have been working to make things right. I never said that they had not. But, it is now 4 weeks and I still do not have all the parts. It will take at least 5 weeks to resolve this. I find that frustrating. If it were 2 weeks I would not be passing on my experience. . . Yes, passing on my experience. (In fact, I have only ever commented about positive experiences.) But, 4 weeks . . .I understand if something is backordered or not in stock. The remote doesnt work and I would have to wait for new one to come in. Fine, I get that. I guess if you have the time, then great. I keep trying to remind myself that they are in CA and the pace is often much slower out there. Or maybe it is just the slow mail taking 2 weeks to get to me. Do I think it will get resolved? Yes. . . Hopefully before I have zero patience left.

Also, Eddie did advise of a new LED that is coming out in March. It might/should resolve some of the issues with the current light.

On the current light, If you are ok with a light that simply comes on and goes off using a timer, without separate white and blue controls, or if you manually control it, then it is a decent light. But, if you decide to run the light at 75%, for example, it will come back on at 100%. and, I dont recommend using the moonlight mode. You have to manually change the lighting and pass thru only all whites on, then only all blues on to get to the moonlight mode. Fish freak out with this sort of thing.

Based on my experience, I really dont think I could order the custom tank I wanted to get. That said, one may do fine ordering just a tank. I read the reviews and experiences of others and I took the risk.

jjohn3845
02/10/2012, 03:07 AM
I did not mean to say that I was being attacked. I read some posts were people were complaining about their negative experience and they were attacked. I was bothered by it as I think most of us are here to help each other.

Yes, it is a low powered system. I think I would have been ok with the power level for my needs as it is not my main tank. But I could not live with its functions.

jjohn3845
02/10/2012, 03:12 AM
I am thinking cad must do a large custom business, as there are alot of negative reviews of their customer service. Or maybe there are alot of happy people out there with small systems and they just dont speak up.

septicdeath
02/10/2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I certainly didn't mean to imply you should have to calculate a tank by dims, I was stating that ALL manufactures are lazy. Hell, I remember a truvu 60 that only held 52 when filled up to the top (as in touching the top acrylic). What I was saying is continue to complain, over the years, I've noticed that public comPlaints get attention, private complaints go unanswered. :)

rrasco
02/10/2012, 05:03 PM
A lot of tanks use outside tank dimensions and do not account for the thickness of the build material. For instance, my 210 is 72x24x28 (209.45 g), but it is built with 1/2 glass so the inside dimensions are really 71x23x27.5 (194.4g).

jjohn3845
02/16/2012, 10:55 AM
CAD was good enough to offer to let me use the current LED until their new ones arrived next month and then swap out. However, I chose not to as the price was yet undetermined (Eddie stated maybe $100 more) and I still had not received the rest of the missing parts for the canopy. Also, you never know if they will actually arrive as planned. I really just wanted to resolve this transaction.

When I returned the light, they had the shipping label made to go to the next purchaser. This made me uncomfortable (I wasn't advised of this.) Hopefully all will be fine. I believe the light may have already been returned when I purchased it, as the packaging had previously been resealed a couple of times. The remote did not work and the plexi cover was cracked. Hopefully they made the next buyer aware of these issues (really doubtful).

I received the canopy parts the next day. The clips allowed both pieces of glass to be held in place, but the hinge (2 pieces of hinge material, maybe 4" long) in no way would work. The hinge is what I really wanted. The opening was made for a thicker glass and it was really bulky . . Even larger than what comes on a standard 24" canopy.

I set up the tank finally and it is beautiful. The starfire glass is so clear and the finishing is great. So, I do recommend their tanks. After all of this (and providing I get my full refund on the light without any trouble) I would order a tank from them again.

. . . Sorry for getting off track since this is a light review thread.