PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Aggression

TurtleSoup2
03/15/2011, 10:41 AM
i had 2 true percula clowns for about 4 months. All was going well until the female clown became extremely aggressive and made the other clown jump to his death....

I want to get a new pair but I don't know how common this is? I don't want to buy a 150 dollar pair and then watch one die in a few months.. Has this ever happened to you? o and i just joined!!

shiggs
03/15/2011, 11:13 AM
I have had a clown jump out of the tank too, but how young were your clowns and cause it might just have been one clown going to female soo she might pick at him a little bit but its not that common. Do you have a cover on your tank?

popwin
03/15/2011, 03:12 PM
I found true percula clowns are much more aggressive than false. i suggest a pair of false percula clowns.

i had 2 true percula clowns for about 4 months. All was going well until the female clown became extremely aggressive and made the other clown jump to his death....

I want to get a new pair but I don't know how common this is? I don't want to buy a 150 dollar pair and then watch one die in a few months.. Has this ever happened to you? o and i just joined!!

popwin
03/15/2011, 03:23 PM
I used to have one true percula who attacks all other fishes in the tank. I traded it in at LFS at the end.

I found true percula clowns are much more aggressive than false. i suggest a pair of false percula clowns.

TurtleSoup2
03/15/2011, 03:27 PM
but how young were your clowns and cause it might just have been one clown going to female soo she might pick at him a little bit but its not that common
i got them when they were very young so im guessing 6 months and i had the for about 4 months. The female just constantly attacked the male clown when the white lights turned off... so this is fairly common? if so im thinking of just keeping the one clown i have and getting a pair of clown gobies..

Do you have a cover on your tank
no, I enjoy open top tanks

shiggs
03/16/2011, 07:19 AM
well i mean u might wanna have a cover over the tank at first whenever u add anything so that u make sure they settle in and dont go jumpin due to stress or other fish. Ive known of clowns having a constant battle for 2 years on who will become the female and once one turns for sure they will get along.

TurtleSoup2
03/16/2011, 05:14 PM
what is the light penetration difference with a lid, i don't want a glass lid. I have no idea how like egg crates or something like that would do? anybody with experiences??

shiggs
03/16/2011, 05:42 PM
well how big is your tank?

i saw someone take a metal frame the same width and length of there tank and use plastic chicken meshing, that didnt cut down on the light penetration and the holes were equivalent to a penny.

TurtleSoup2
03/16/2011, 06:00 PM
its a 46 bowfront.. i doubt it would work on the account that the tank is bowed.. got any ideas? lol