PDA

View Full Version : How much rock can I add?

JimmyOrangeSeed
03/15/2011, 06:25 PM
I am looking at re-doing some aquascaping in my tank. Its a 60g (empty) with a 40g sump. I am not 100% sure how much rock I have, probably about 60lbs. The tank has been up almost a year but all the rock and sand came from another tank that was setup for over 4 years. I am looking at adding maybe about 25-50 more lbs (max). I just need some more smaller pieces to get everything the way I want it to look. Just wondering how much I can add safely without adding to much stress to my system or re-cycling the tank.

The Punisher
03/15/2011, 09:38 PM
First of all, you've had a tank up and running for a year and it's still empty?
I wouldn't double the amount of rock you have in there without first pre-cycling it. Just set up a tub with salt water and some water movement and let it sit in there for a month or so, then you should be able to add it to your tank without any problems. Although, if your tank is really still empty, just throw it in the tank and wait for it to cylcle in there, it would help having the other rock that's already cycled.

tkeracer619
03/15/2011, 09:52 PM
I think the op means that when the tank is empty it holds 60g.

The rock will need to be cured in its own vat with a power head and saltwater.

The Punisher
03/15/2011, 10:36 PM
I think the op means that when the tank is empty it holds 60g.

:wildone::wildone::wildone:

That makes much more sense.

lisafoster
03/16/2011, 05:45 AM
I have added a 100 pounds to my 125 over the years. I would add 20 at a time see how it does.