PDA

View Full Version : 60G Nub Build

SlickSilver
03/15/2011, 09:03 PM
I made a new thread, since I can't seem to edit my previous posts in my 60G Newbie Build thread.

Hi guys,

As of two weeks ago I wanted to get into the saltwater world and me wanting to learn more, I joined this forum. Who knew it would cost more than if I wanted to modify my motorcycle? Haha.

I'll use this as a personal log for my progress.

My goal for this tank is to be able to run a FOWLR for now, and be able to transform it into a Reef tank with corals. I bought just the tank (48-1/4"L x 12"W x 24H) and stand, and will be slowly piecing the equipment.

MARCH.07.2011

Items that I bought from MarineDepot arrived, which consisted of:

2 Hydor Koralia Evos @ 750GPH
1 Jager 200W 15" Heater
1 API Saltwater Master Test Kit
1 API Phosphate Test Kit

I also have 80LBS of Ocean Direct Carib. Live Sand coming around this Friday from Foster and Smith.

I'm not going to run a sump system, since my stand does not allow one to be hidden inside. (Too small)

My next purchase is going to be some dry live rock, I was wondering what the general opinion of BRS's dry rock? and what type should I go for? (ReefSaver, Pukani, or Fiji?) (I'm thinking 50-60lbs of Fiji dry, seeded with some LR from my LFS)

Any recommendations?

http://i53.*******.com/spxbi9.jpg

SlickSilver
03/15/2011, 09:06 PM
MARCH.08.2011

Just placed my order of 52LBS of BRS Pukani Dry Rock.

Still waiting on my live sand, and trying to decide which HOB skimmer I am going to run.

MARCH.11.2011

Sand is here!

http://i54.*******.com/30utt2s.jpg

duncantse
Pukani is more pourous so more bacteria can colonize it.

AquaMore
I like the CPR Bak Pak

SlickSilver
03/15/2011, 09:09 PM
I'm carrying my posts onto this thread so I can put pictures with my posts.

sorry for the confusion!

SlickSilver
03/15/2011, 09:20 PM
MARCH.14.2011

Picked up my sump from Advanced Acrylics.

Also got my package of 60lbs of Pukani from BRS

Finally! I'm so excited.

My sump from AA:

http://i51.*******.com/1z4agpx.jpg

http://i53.*******.com/f3hxxe.jpg

30x12x16 are the dimensions

Skimmer section is 11.25x11.25,fuge section is 8x11.25 and the return is 7x11.25

Water level for the skimmer is 9", fuge and return height is 8.5"

Seems to be very nice, it is made of 3/8th Acrylic, with 1/4 baffles.

Here is the Pukani rock from BRS, I ordered 52lbs to get free sipping but they ended up sending me 60lbs!

http://i51.*******.com/200zebt.jpg

And some rubble in the bag - could have been from damage from UPS.

http://i53.*******.com/2eqg9pk.jpg

I am not the best photo taker of rocks.

SlickSilver
03/15/2011, 09:31 PM
MARCH.15.2011

Now a photo of my two clowns :)

http://i52.*******.com/2uzvuk2.jpg

I was tired at looking at an empty DT, so I bought a QT and got these two in from Eye Candy Aquariums in Garden Grove.

I'm going to pickup an Eheim 1250 as a return pump for my sump tomorrow from a local RCer.. woohoo!

SlickSilver
03/16/2011, 09:36 PM
MARCH.16.2011

Threw my BRS Dry Pukani into a Steralite container with a heater and some powerheads earlier today.

In the tub:
http://i52.*******.com/ipphyg.jpg

Also got some Ammonia and Nitrite readings.
http://i53.*******.com/1z1cvom.jpg

AquaMore
03/16/2011, 11:19 PM
didn't you say that you are not going to run a sump?

SlickSilver
03/16/2011, 11:32 PM
didn't you say that you are not going to run a sump?

I did, but the people of RC converted me. :wildone:

I just figured that there were much more options for filtration and the ability for a refug is a nice bonus.

Just trying to figure out my return now. Planning on an eheim 1250 pump but wondering what goes at the end of e hose.. A u tube thing...? I have much to learn! :fish1:

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 05:28 PM
QUESTION!

Should I throw in a few pounds of Live Rock in the tub of Dry Pukani while I'm curing it?

Ammonia is at 8PPM at the moment..

onecoder
03/17/2011, 05:48 PM
Are the clowns in the tank with the ammonia readings? They are not likely to survive the cycle and if they do it is not kind to them.

Virtuoso
03/17/2011, 06:05 PM
QUESTION!

Should I throw in a few pounds of Live Rock in the tub of Dry Pukani while I'm curing it?

Ammonia is at 8PPM at the moment..

Depends on your goal. If you are trying to cycle it, put the live rock in. If you are just trying to get the phosphates down, then leave the live rock out. Do not think you should be testing the dry rock for ammonia, it does not really matter. As long as that ammonia reading isn't in your tank where your clowns are, like onecoder said.

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 06:27 PM
Depends on your goal. If you are trying to cycle it, put the live rock in. If you are just trying to get the phosphates down, then leave the live rock out. Do not think you should be testing the dry rock for ammonia, it does not really matter. As long as that ammonia reading isn't in your tank where your clowns are, like onecoder said.

I want the beneficial bacteria to colonize on the dry rock, and to be able to put them in my display tank and use them for bio-filtration. That's why I was wondering if I should put the LR in to jump start the process.

I thought I'd have to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to see where the rock was in the cycle, and see if the bacteria was colonizing.

I didn't want to cycle in my DT due to the smell and how cumbersome it would be..

And my clowns are not in the tank with the ammonia reading.

i love them too much :beer:

Niverse
03/17/2011, 07:37 PM
I like the sump. Can you show me what you did with it? What kind of gph return pump are you going to use? Are you going to drill the glass or siphon overflow?

Virtuoso
03/17/2011, 08:17 PM
I want the beneficial bacteria to colonize on the dry rock, and to be able to put them in my display tank and use them for bio-filtration. That's why I was wondering if I should put the LR in to jump start the process.

I thought I'd have to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to see where the rock was in the cycle, and see if the bacteria was colonizing.

I didn't want to cycle in my DT due to the smell and how cumbersome it would be..

And my clowns are not in the tank with the ammonia reading.

i love them too much :beer:

Some dry rock comes with high phosphates, which is why some people will let them cure in another container for a bit until putting them in their tank. If you want to start cycling your rock and you want the bacteria to start spreading to your dry rock you should absolutely put your live rock in.

Bnortz
03/17/2011, 08:39 PM
Your lucky that your stand has enough room for a sump. I have almost the same exact tank but the stand has one door and I can't fit anything inside for a sump

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 08:50 PM
Some dry rock comes with high phosphates, which is why some people will let them cure in another container for a bit until putting them in their tank. If you want to start cycling your rock and you want the bacteria to start spreading to your dry rock you should absolutely put your live rock in.

I just hit the rock with a phosphate kit, and it seemed to be quite high.. so that's true.

I like the sump. Can you show me what you did with it? What kind of gph return pump are you going to use? Are you going to drill the glass or siphon overflow?

I'm not sure what you mean by "What I did with it" because haven't done anything with it yet, but I bought it from John from Advanced Acrylics. He said it was a custom sump. Two were made for a customer, but he only ended up buying one. I already bought an Ehiem 1250 that is rated at 317GPH as my return pump. I'm going to go with an external overflow box.

Which one, I don't know yet.

Niverse
03/17/2011, 09:09 PM
317 GPH for a 60G plus the gravity you're going to have to pump against... isn't that a little weak?

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 09:15 PM
Your lucky that your stand has enough room for a sump. I have almost the same exact tank but the stand has one door and I can't fit anything inside for a sump

Actually I can't fit this thing in the stand. The plan is to just set up on top of a table to the left of it.

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 09:16 PM
317 GPH for a 60G plus the gravity you're going to have to pump against... isn't that a little weak?

Probably. :)

Niverse
03/17/2011, 09:25 PM
The only reason I'm asking so many questions is because I'm looking at doing the same thing you are... but I have a 29G nano and I'm thinking of a mag 5 or a mag 7, but I don't know what kind of flow is good? I got a 700 gph overflow... prob overkill?

SlickSilver
03/17/2011, 10:14 PM
The only reason I'm asking so many questions is because I'm looking at doing the same thing you are... but I have a 29G nano and I'm thinking of a mag 5 or a mag 7, but I don't know what kind of flow is good? I got a 700 gph overflow... prob overkill?

No idea, maybe you should post your own thread for a more personal response.

I'm looking to pickup a protein skimmer tomorrow. Any suggestions anyone?

My budget is around $200.00

King_Richard
03/17/2011, 10:46 PM
If you haven't bought one yet then wait on it and try this out first,
Algae Scrubber (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420)

If you find yourself needing more filtration after your tank is cycled and the scrubber is mature, then you might want to consider a skimmer. Save that extra 200 for some nice fish/corals when your tank is ready for them.

SlickSilver
03/19/2011, 10:53 PM
MARCH.17.2011

Bought an Eheim 1250. =D

http://i55.*******.com/2ef233r.jpg

SlickSilver
03/20/2011, 11:13 AM
Still wondering which skimmer I should get!

Was thinking about about an SWC 150, or maybe something from Reef Octopus!

Help me friends!

SlickSilver
04/03/2011, 11:26 AM
How close am I in completing my cycle of dead rock + 6lbs of LR?

Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 5PPM and Nitrates are 10PPM~

Jabberwock
04/03/2011, 12:02 PM
Those are very high Nitrite readings. You want the Nitrites to be .25ppm or preferably 0 and Nitrites to be 5ppm or preferably 0 (and see these readings stay stable for a few days) before you consider it done.... It'll be a while. You may want to consider housing your clowns in an established tank until you're all set up. Good picks on equipment so far.

SlickSilver
04/03/2011, 02:23 PM
Why do you say keep them in an established tank? I was thinking of just letting them stay in the qt until the cycling was done. It's been 3+ weeks in there for the clowns.

SlickSilver
04/06/2011, 10:49 PM
I found a Nova Extreme T5 fixture and was wondering what I could do with it.

It is a 8x54w T5/HO setup.

Could I keep SPS? And would they have to be placed near the top?

Dimensions are 48x13x24 @60G~

Help me guys!

Anyway, the cycling rock in the rubbermaid is at 0 Ammonia, 5PPM NitrIte and 40PPM NitrAte.

Could I fill up my DT with some fresh saltwater and transfer the rubbermaid rock into it? Since the water would be a 0Amm, 0 NitrIte and 0 NitrAte. Would I then be able to stock the tank? Or would there not be enough of the bacteria that transform NitrIte into NitrAte.

I'm going crazy waiting for my NitrItes to drop.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Ex. A water change?

SlickSilver
04/07/2011, 09:53 AM
before class bump