PDA

View Full Version : Canopy paint

wbdevers
03/15/2011, 10:38 PM
I am currently running four T5's with individual reflectors on a retro build. I've wondered about painting the inside of my canopy to help reflect more light, but is it really worth it? My tank is 17" deep from sand to surface. My canopy is one of the shorter styles and my lights hang approximately 7" from the surface. Right now I've got soft corals, Zoa's, a couple of LPS, a red Monti Cap and a Pocillopora. Everything is happy but just looking to the future because I would like to try an Acro some day.

Thanks for any advice.

tkeracer619
03/15/2011, 11:16 PM
Getting some luminarc, lumenmax, or lumenbright reflectors would make a bigger difference.

sbeason
03/16/2011, 05:16 AM
I am not sure you were looking for a MH reflector and were referring to a T5 fix for your canopy.

Before I switched over to my MH, I had T5's and I painted the inside of my canopy white. I used KILZ. This way it not only reflected the light, but also helps as a moisture barrier. Even inside my current canopy with MH pendants in them, I still painted KILZ inside the canopy.

Thanks, Steve

wbdevers
03/16/2011, 07:09 AM
tke, not sure where MH came into this, but I'm just asking opinions about painting the inside of my canopy. I've got four T5's with INDIVIDUAL reflectors. I built a retro light using a 1x10 and clock chain.

Steve, does/did it seem to make a difference with lost scattered light? This is more a curious thing than anything else.

Thanks for the replies.