PDA

View Full Version : Stray voltage from mag pump

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 09:19 AM
Is there anyway to save a mag pump if it is leaking stray voltage? It has been in service for 4 years and never had any issues until just now.

goofball310
03/16/2011, 09:29 AM
it's really not worth saving. you've had a good run at 4 years and it just wouldn't be worth the risk of shock or your livestock to try and save it.

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 09:32 AM
Kind of what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure there wasnt some easy rebuild kit or something

goofball310
03/16/2011, 09:33 AM
btw, you might want to take the pump out of your tank ASAP as some internals might be exposed to the water in your tank now. Heavy metals from pumps, heaters, powerheads, etc have lead to a lot of tank crashes.

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 09:36 AM
btw, you might want to take the pump out of your tank ASAP as some internals might be exposed to the water in your tank now. Heavy metals from pumps, heaters, powerheads, etc have lead to a lot of tank crashes.

Came out as soon as I discovered it. But this might explain why some of my sps are not so happy, wc and carbon it is. I did lose a nice ssc colony to this incident, which is how I discovered it in the first place.

DustinB
03/16/2011, 09:40 AM
Ouch, that hurts Travis. Did you happen to save a frag from it?

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 09:44 AM
Ouch, that hurts Travis. Did you happen to save a frag from it?

Yes, I got two tiny frags and one decent size one that so far seem to be fine. Trying to figure out how to get the dead colony out of the tank though, tried breaking it off with my hand but was surprised to find out how stuck on it is.

DustinB
03/16/2011, 09:47 AM
Have you considered leaving it for a couple months. I've had dead SPS come back from the grave 2 months later after no tissue, hollow polyps, and covered in algae.

KafudaFish
03/16/2011, 09:50 AM
Sorry.

Been there done that. Lost all fish over about a 2 week span. They would just disappear during the day.

Only way I figured it out was I watched my angel exhibit being shocked. I put my hands in the water and did not feel anything but my volt meter told me I had leaking current.

Started unplugging and plugging stuff in and that was it.

Not sure if there was enough current to kill them but I figured there was enough stress to kill some and if any got a good pulse then they may have gotten wedged into rock work.

My mag was around 4 yo too.

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 09:56 AM
Sorry.

Been there done that. Lost all fish over about a 2 week span. They would just disappear during the day.

Only way I figured it out was I watched my angel exhibit being shocked. I put my hands in the water and did not feel anything but my volt meter told me I had leaking current.

Started unplugging and plugging stuff in and that was it.

Not sure if there was enough current to kill them but I figured there was enough stress to kill some and if any got a good pulse then they may have gotten wedged into rock work.

My mag was around 4 yo too.

I discovered mine almost by accident. Was running all my test and racking my brain because everything was testing fine, on the last test I dipped my finger just barely in the water, this is when I felt the shock. I thought perhaps I had a small cut on that finger so I started putting others in there, received a shock on all of them. I would only get a shock if a finger tip was put in, whole hand would feel nothing.
Perhaps these should be taken out of service right at or before 4 yrs.

tmgrash
03/16/2011, 10:01 AM
Have you considered leaving it for a couple months. I've had dead SPS come back from the grave 2 months later after no tissue, hollow polyps, and covered in algae.

Yeah ill leave it for now, since I cant get it off lol. I did manage to break off peices of it, would be nice if it came back, but it sure appears to be a gonner.
Going to look real good at the tank tour in a couple weeks, im sure everyone will want to know my secrets, lol.