PDA

View Full Version : refugium/sump questions

octoman2707
03/16/2011, 10:01 AM
So I have a 56g display (tall) with a 20 g refugium/sump(no water in it)
I added 60 lb of LS(from bag) into the water, most of the haze has cleared up, but there is still sand on wall and I keep knocking it down then the tank gets hazy and it comes back, is this normal?

Second I'm adding glass dividers to 20g to make an input / skimmer section , refugium / DSB (4-6 inch) ,and a return pump section.

I'm planning on buying live rock from The Fish Place in Ft worth Texas and
making the DSB in the finished sump and adding live rock to both tanks.

Will I need to buy sand shifters since I have seeded live rock and bagged LS?
( I have my display has been cycling for 3 weeks with 6.5 lb of live rock
And I dont see any movement in the sand or anything)

Will I need to get any other bacteria , algae , pods or etc for my DBS or overall system?

Will this system be able to support a heavy bio load (octopus)?

How much flow should I have my pump's max is 600ish gph?

Could I use Macro algae instead of liverock and get the same filtration?

And is there anything I haven't thought about , so I don't get a nasty suprise.

octoman2707
03/18/2011, 11:05 PM
anyone??:worried:

Sophie10
04/17/2011, 06:52 AM
From what I've read, octopi are very, very difficult to keep! Unless you have lots of reef aquarium experience, I would not recommend doing this. Your tank size is on the lower recommended limit. They seem to be very short lived in captivity. They need absolutely pristine water, plenty of hiding places, secured, weighted tank lid with no opening anywhere bigger than it's beak, and placed in a low traffic area with very subdued lighting.

This would be an animal I would avoid out of fairness to the creature for my own personal reasons.

Ask the experts in the cephalopod forum, they can probably help you. Good luck.

quazi
04/17/2011, 12:28 PM
Did you clean the sand before you put it in your tank? If not, the sand dust will haunt you for a while. It looks like you do not have a skimmer. A skimmer will make your life better.

600 gph from your sump to your tank should be OK. You need more water movement in the tank (powerheads).

"Could I use Macro algae instead of liverock and get the same filtration?"

I do not understand this question. Are you planning on putting LR in your 'fuge? Put Chaetomorpha or "Chaeto" algae in your fuge. You can add more LR to you sump, if you like. LR in a sump is a great pod factory.

Six2seven
04/17/2011, 12:53 PM
i would highly recommend a skimmer to help with the bio-load ecspecially if you plan on keeping an octopus. this is not a beginner animal and should only be added to an established tank. with that said good luck if you plan to continue. feed a variety of foods. Remember the Deep sand bed in the sump will only be a filter for the sump, not the whole system. personally rubble rock, chaeto, skimmer and no substrate in the sump have always worked for me and kept me at zero nitrates.

octoman2707
04/18/2011, 09:59 PM
its going to have protein skimmer , bio media with LR , refugia with DSB, Macro and some LR
sound good?

Six2seven
04/19/2011, 02:30 PM
Sounds good! Hope to see some pics later on.

octoman2707
04/19/2011, 06:34 PM
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/bullseyesunny/DSC_0425.jpg this picture is kinda old but since my live rock shipment it doesn't look to different