PDA

View Full Version : Best Lighting to get?

tyler.evinsky
03/16/2011, 11:09 AM
Hello everyone, i have a couple tanks one of which i just set up and its 100 gallons, right now i have a triple tube with the stock florescent bulbs in it and i dont think thats enough, im planninh on mainly have a fowlr but i what to promot the growing of my coraline algea. Let me know your oppinions on what lighting system i should get(in a reasonable proce range) and if you have any for sale let me know as im interseted
Thanks!!

arentspowell
03/16/2011, 01:42 PM
what do you consider a reasonable price range? Also what are the dimensions of the tank? I know you said mostly fowlr but would you want the ability to add corals in the future, even just softies?

goofball310
03/16/2011, 04:59 PM
you might want to take a look in the used equipment forum.

tyler.evinsky
03/16/2011, 05:08 PM
The tank im looking at upgrading light is 48" long and i think i would possible want to have some types of coral, im not exactly sure on price range yet, i will also check out used equipment, but again still not sure exactly what to look for.

goofball310
03/16/2011, 05:29 PM
cheap lighting to sustain corals: 4-6 bulb t5 fixture or retro kit if you have a canopy.

tyler.evinsky
03/16/2011, 05:42 PM
what would you say the pricing would be on a new fixture like that?and used? also do you have any links you could recommened me to, to the perfect one? And would a lighting system like this support anenomes, other corals, and promote the growth of cofaline algea?

goofball310
03/16/2011, 05:58 PM
coraline algae will happen naturally on it's own....

what are the dimensions of you tank?

tyler.evinsky
03/16/2011, 06:05 PM
It is 48 inches long, 24" tall and 18"wide

goofball310
03/16/2011, 06:56 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881570

http://www.hellolights.com/48inwavepoint4x54whot5lightingsystem.aspx

you can also ask around here for in your local forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

tyler.evinsky
03/16/2011, 07:24 PM
would you recommend going with 4 bulbs or more? I was looking at liveaquria and found a lighting system that has 6 t-5 bulbs, would you say this would be a good one?or what would you go with buying if you were looking for one?

goofball310
03/16/2011, 08:02 PM
i'd personally look at buying a 6 bulb ati unit because they cool their bulbs and don't over drive them. the bulbs will last 12 months, compared to 6 months when the bulbs are not cooled.

Not cooled, driven to spec: 6 months max

Overdriven and not cooled: 2-3 months if they don't burn out first.

Overdriven and cooled: 6-8 months

Properly cooled and driven to spec: 10-14 months depending on setup.

Non cooled T5 bulbs last right around 6-7 months. Maybe even shorter depending on the ambient temp around the fixture.

The ATI's are putting out ~25% better PAR than a Tek. Workhorse ballasts do NOT put out the same PAR as a spec T5 ballast. Yes you can overdrive the bulbs a little with a WH to compensate but now you are sacrificing bulb life.

Every test I have seen, puts a Workhorse ballast putting out ~15% less PAR then a spec T5 ballast.

Throw in the better reflectors and the superior cooling of an ATI and a Tek can't match it in terms of performance.

To make numbers easy let's say you replace the bulbs annually with an ATI. On a 6 bulb unit you are talking $150 a year.

With a Tek you are looking at replacing the bulbs twice a year. So on a 6 bulb unit you are $300/yr.

With that alone you made up the cost difference. Now throw in a $10 fan to cool the Tek as well.

Let's say you only replace the bulbs once every 8 months with the Tek. (I don't recommend that as tests have proven that uncooled T5's last about 6 months) You will replace 3 sets of bulbs over a 24 month period at the tune of $450.

The ATI will go through 2 sets of bulbs at the tune of $300.

Again that is all very basic and easy numbers. Some setups where you have an SPS dominated tank, you will want to start replacing some bulbs at 10 months with an ATI. With the Tek you could be looking at 4 months instead of 6.

Any way you put it, not cooling T5's is a bad idea. You lose bulb life, performance and money.

So is $120 worth it if you need the output from the ATI? You make the call.

tyler.evinsky
03/17/2011, 04:59 AM
Thank you very much for all your help ill looking into this and ill let you know shortly.

tyler.evinsky
03/18/2011, 07:54 PM
Would you go with any types leds or the lights you told me to check out?