PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Colony Polyps gone missing this morning

MarinePaethor
03/16/2011, 02:00 PM
I picked up a small piece of LR about a month ago that had a couple yellow colony polyps on it. They were doing really well, always out and open. When I looked in the tank this morning, the rock was upside down. When I reached in to turn it back over, the yellow polyps were completely gone. No trace of them at all, just 2 holes in the rock where they used to be.

The only current inhabitants of the tank are 1 Ocellaris Clown, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 hermit crab, 2 Mexican turbo snails, and 4 narcissus snails. The 2 fish have never shown any interest in any of the small corals I have in the tanks, all of which have been in there for months because they came with the LR I bought when I started the tank. The only thing big enough to have turned the piece or rock over was one of the turbo snails.

Do turbo snails eat polyps and other corals? Should I be concerned about the mushrooms and other polyps I have in the tank? Do I need to consider removing the turbos if I want to actually start buying and placing coral in the tank down the road?

Thanks for any info and advice you can offer.

goofball310
03/16/2011, 02:04 PM
I'd suspect the coral beauty or the hermit, but moreso the coral beauty.

stingythingy45
03/16/2011, 02:25 PM
I have every creature you have except the hermit crab and yellow polys are everywhere in my tank.One whole corner of my 90 gallon ias cover,glass and all.
Almost to the point of putting them on the pest list.
So,my guess would be the crab.

Mylilreef
03/16/2011, 02:43 PM
i would have to guess the coral beauty. some tend to be coral nippers/ eaters. just depends on the individual. for example: damselfish don't normally eat coral, but i had a 4-striped for about 6 years now and last week he decided he liked the taste of one of my button polyp colonies (about 20+). he completely destroyed them overnight. needless to say he was removed the following saturday.

Uncle Salty 05
03/16/2011, 03:17 PM
They may have simply fallen off and may pop up elsewhere.