PDA

View Full Version : Hydroid???

Tang tank
03/16/2011, 03:22 PM
I have these super tiny star fish like bugs all over the glass. I have researched them online and have found several pictures that match and they appear to be hydroids (some type of jelly fish??) Does anyone know if there are good...bad...if bad how do I get rid of them. I have tried to post pictures on this site several times but have had zero success.

100%hydrophylic
03/16/2011, 06:37 PM
do they look kinda dainty and snowflake like? very small and white/translucent?

if so, it probably is some type of hydroid, and i believe its the free floating kind. any that i have ever had die off or disappear shortly after they appear. i actually notice them more after a new tank cycles and is starting to grow bug populations. From my experience they are harmless, but i think i read somewhere that because they are hydroids, they can sting to some degree weather we feel it or not. so maybe try to not touch them? and make sure your starting siphons properly.

Tang tank
03/16/2011, 06:41 PM
That is exactly what they look like! And they are on the glass. I use my "Mag-Float" every night to get them off the glass and the next day it looks like I have more than before! My tank was set up on 2/14/11 so it's been just about a month and I do see the other small bugs but not as many as these little hydroids. I haven't tried touching them so I will make sure not to.

rodster912000
03/16/2011, 06:59 PM
i had the same and my tank is arround two months old. they will start to disappear after awhile! just give it time

SushiGirl
03/16/2011, 07:54 PM
They'll be coming from a type of polyp on the rock, what you see on the glass is the jellyfish form after being released from the polyps. Usually burn themselves out after a while.