PDA

View Full Version : MH making terrible noise

Dhub
03/16/2011, 04:36 PM
My wife bought me a 48" IceCap Reef Illumination fixture for Christmas. About 3 weeks ago it started making a horrible noise - like a fan whirring. I took the fixture down removed the fan - no vibration, no sticking, no whirring. I set the fixture backup - turned it on whirring starts. Only now it i've pin-pointed it to one side and one light.

I called Marine Depot and they basically said, "Yeah Dude, you're on your on IC went out of business in January."

They did suggest I could try changing the lights and see if the noise moves with it.

Today, I took down the fixture, removed the light covers, removed the "noisey" light and broke the second light trying to remove it. I guess I scarred it because I didn't use force. Anyway, I placed the noisey light at the other end, replaced the covers and rehung the fixture. Immediate noisey light.

Is this normal? Anyone else ever heard of this had a problem like this? I'm already out $100 for scarring a light - I'd hate to think I'm out $200 after 60 days of use for these bulbs.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Dhub

tkeracer619
03/16/2011, 04:50 PM
What brand bulbs are they.

This sucks but... at least its probably just your bulb.

See if a local reefer has any old bulbs around you can use until you can get new bulbs. Just one of those things. At least its not a $3500 PFO led system. You can easily get other brand components to fix your icecap fixture.

Ask for a manager at Marine Depot. Politely explain your situation and see what kind of resolution they can give. Sales reps can't give you deals but a manager can at least hook you up with a new set of bulbs for wholesale or cost. Don't even bother explaining yourself to the person who answers the phone. They can't do anything.

Dhub
03/16/2011, 05:00 PM
They were Coral bulbs. The guy was supposed to be TechSupport. He seemed pretty adament about there's nothing "we" can do since IceCap went OOB. Is there a particular bulb I should use this was a 250w 20000k DE Coral Life bulb I bought at the LFS - which is 97 miles away.

I saw someone post about buying bulbs on ebay - I saw a link to the Light Spectrum Store that had bulbs for $20 - should I avoid this and just fork over real dough for real bulbs?

chris@CoralVue
03/16/2011, 05:03 PM
I've seen the fan wires hitting the blades of the fans causing the type of noise you're explaining. Check this, you might just need to secure the wires better.

Chris

Dhub
03/16/2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks Chris I'll check. But while I've been sitting here typing this it started - whirred for about 10 minutes stopped for 5 then started again. ---The noise moved to the other end of the fixture when I moved the buld.

Since this noise is so annoying as to disturbing my peaceful time in front of the tank I'm willing to try everything to fix it.

tkeracer619
03/16/2011, 05:53 PM
Make sure its not the fans but you should fork out cash for good bulbs.

Not sure which ones would be best with that fixture in the 20k range. Hopefully someone will chime in.