PDA

View Full Version : Switching to higher watt lights

gablett
03/16/2011, 06:42 PM
Ok so here's the scenario. I have 3 150 watt lights over my 220. It does good for what I have but I'm getting out of zoanthids and switching to sps. Zoas just don't do much for a large reef. So I am buying 3 lumenarc mini reflectors with 250 watt bulbs. Now I know that's gonna be a lot more light on my tank all of a sudden. I hear many suggestions of raising the lights to acclimate but that won't work for me because its in a hood. Next I've heard is screen. Well there is not a ton of clearance between the tank top and where the light will be so I'm worried of it melting it so I will avoid that. So what else does everyone do in this situation? Should I only run the 2 outer bulbs for half the photoperiod I have and add an hour every 5 days and then fade in the middle bulbs slowly in there too? Any suggestions of peoples past experience I would appreciatte. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

gablett
03/17/2011, 09:14 AM
Nobody has any suggestions?

droth335
03/17/2011, 10:05 AM
Personnally, I don't think you will have any problem with that switch. I have never "light acclimated" corals and have not had any lasting issues - even when I switched out lights a few months ago.

nanojg
03/17/2011, 10:32 AM
That is gonna be a ton more light, especially with those great reflectors. I would reduce photoperiod by at least half and gradually increase. I would also try to fit some screens in there.

gablett
03/17/2011, 12:45 PM
Alright so I have 2 different opinions on the oppositte ends. Anybody else have any suggestions? Thanks for the ideas. Anybody have any specific ideas/experience?

gablett
03/17/2011, 06:28 PM
Anybody?

Zebodog
03/17/2011, 09:34 PM
No harm can come from taking a couple of weeks to adjust the tank to new lights. It is, however, very possible to cause damage by not doing so.

pmrossetti
03/18/2011, 07:00 AM
that is gonna be a ton more light, especially with those great reflectors. I would reduce photoperiod by at least half and gradually increase. I would also try to fit some screens in there.

+1

goofball310
03/18/2011, 08:44 AM
that is gonna be a ton more light, especially with those great reflectors. I would reduce photoperiod by at least half and gradually increase. I would also try to fit some screens in there.

+1