PDA

View Full Version : Do I need plumbers tape here?

iwishtofish
03/16/2011, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking probably not, but I'd like to be sure anyway! :)

The barb fitting has plumbers tape where it meets the pvc coupling. Any reason to put tape where the coupling meets the return pump?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/need_tape01.jpg

Arthur1
03/16/2011, 10:10 PM
Not really but you could for good practise:beer:

iwishtofish
03/16/2011, 10:24 PM
Not really but you could for good practise:beer:

Haha, I just had plenty of practice! :) The coupling doesn't meet much resistance when it is screwed on the pump, and bottoms out. My only concern would be if any leak under pressure would be significant enough to reduce pump effectiveness. Other than that, a leak wouldn't matter under water, of course.

sirreal63
03/16/2011, 10:33 PM
The teflon tape acts to not only seal a thread, but make it easier to get apart in the future. I use it anywhere I have one pc threading to another pc. This is especially helpful with bulkhead nuts, which somehow love to be a major pain to take off, teflon makes that job easier as well.

iwishtofish
03/16/2011, 10:39 PM
Didn't realize that, thank you! For some reason I thought the tape made it HARDER to get the fittings apart.

sirreal63
03/16/2011, 10:47 PM
Back in the late 70's I worked with a retired master plumber, he taught me a lot, fittings with no pipe dope were almost impossible to take apart, fittings with you could even after years of being underground.

What project are you working on? That is a small line for a Mag pump, (it appears to be a Mag), very restrictive.

iwishtofish
03/17/2011, 12:00 AM
Back in the late 70's I worked with a retired master plumber, he taught me a lot, fittings with no pipe dope were almost impossible to take apart, fittings with you could even after years of being underground.

What project are you working on? That is a small line for a Mag pump, (it appears to be a Mag), very restrictive.

It's a Mag 9.5. It has a 3/4" outlet, so that's what I went with for the return line (both soft & pvc). I hope it works out!

liquidplumber
03/17/2011, 06:22 AM
Use the teflon tape, give it two to three wraps and don't use the pipe dope for your app.

jabbott
03/17/2011, 07:42 AM
Basically if it has threads and doesn't have an oring, a washer or a flared end it needs tape or dope. Although i wouldn't use dope in an aquarium. If you put to much on it can go past the threads and into the pipe.

sirreal63
03/17/2011, 08:15 AM
Let's hope every one realizes tape only, never stick or paste. :-)

The Mag won't give the flow you expect unless you upsize the return. I believe the manual calls for 1-1/2" to get the rated flow. It won't hurt it but it won't put out the flow you expect.