PDA

View Full Version : Best auto water top off?

wjeffries2118
03/17/2011, 06:49 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for auto water top off devices. One I want to use in my 225 gallon with a sump and the other I want to be able to use on a 65 gallon without a sump. I've seen several things like ATO for in sump application, but haven't really seen anything that I think would work with a float in the main tank with waves on the surface. Is their a viable option for an in tank float or some sort of automatic pre calculated doser?

Thanks for your help.

reeftivo
03/17/2011, 09:26 AM
Tunze osmolator! Has optic sensor, but is not triggered like floats with turbulence. Just put it off the wall near a fairly calm area. Doesn't have to be dead calm.

nanojg
03/17/2011, 09:32 AM
I really like the jbj

reefjunkie42
03/17/2011, 09:34 AM
genisis reef systems

droberts
03/17/2011, 09:50 AM
take a look at http://www.autotopoff.com/products/ST1/ its where i bought mine at and couldent be happier

t4zalews
03/17/2011, 09:51 AM
tunze osmolator...best on the market. I dunno about the sumpless tank, I would just add water when you see evaporation.

droth335
03/17/2011, 10:02 AM
I really like the jbj

+1

Don't know if it is the best as it is the only one I've used but have no complaints about its performance on our system.

goofball310
03/17/2011, 10:06 AM
The "BEST" top off system out there is the Genesis STORM w/ ROCV module. You just hook the STORM w/ ROCV to your tank and RO/DI unit and never have to worry about topping off your tank again. No need to refill reservoirs!

Tunze and Elos would be a near second, but you would still have to refill the ATO reservoir.

droth335
03/17/2011, 10:13 AM
The "BEST" top off system out there is the Genesis STORM w/ ROCV module. You just hook the STORM w/ ROCV to your tank and RO/DI unit and never have to worry about topping off your tank again. No need to refill reservoirs!

The drawback for my situation is that I have kalk in my ATO...otherwise this would be a great solution!

BorHor
03/17/2011, 10:14 AM
I love my tunze! One of the best purchases I made for my setup.

droberts
03/17/2011, 10:55 AM
autotop.com off sells a model for a sumpless tank

nemosworld
03/17/2011, 01:42 PM
I just bought the Avast marine system, it uses a pressure sensor. comes in two versions.
one that hooks to your fav controller and another that plugs into an outlet.
I ordered the outlet version.

solitude127
03/17/2011, 02:02 PM
I just bought the Avast marine system, it uses a pressure sensor. comes in two versions.
one that hooks to your fav controller and another that plugs into an outlet.
I ordered the outlet version.

How does the pressure sensor work?

Dadekster
03/17/2011, 02:04 PM
Tunze osmolator! Has optic sensor, but is not triggered like floats with turbulence. Just put it off the wall near a fairly calm area. Doesn't have to be dead calm.

Second this, works great although fiddling with the mounting bracket is a bit of a pita. Once set up it's almost fire up and forget...almost. :strange:

craftyfish
03/17/2011, 02:51 PM
autotopoff.com has optical sensor with safety sensor as well
they have tank and sump models, very clean and price is reasonable compared to brand name versions. I ordered the sump model with 2 float switches.

wjeffries2118
03/17/2011, 09:00 PM
Your suggestions were exactly what I needed. I've looked at the auto top off site version and the Tunze. I think the Auto top off version would work well for the sumpless tank. Thanks again everyone.

dearmey
03/17/2011, 10:09 PM
It sounds like they are all good.

ArmanS
03/17/2011, 10:52 PM
tunze osmolator, proven to last

evsalty
03/17/2011, 10:58 PM
autotopoff.com has optical sensor with safety sensor as well

Do you have any links to this optical sensor from them? I do not see one on their site.

goofball310
03/18/2011, 08:24 AM
Do you have any links to this optical sensor from them? I do not see one on their site.

http://autotopoff.com/custom/

johnnyb05
03/18/2011, 11:32 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for auto water top off devices. One I want to use in my 225 gallon with a sump and the other I want to be able to use on a 65 gallon without a sump. I've seen several things like ATO for in sump application, but haven't really seen anything that I think would work with a float in the main tank with waves on the surface. Is their a viable option for an in tank float or some sort of automatic pre calculated doser?

Thanks for your help.

i use a reeffiller pump. i fill a 15 gal container with RO/DI water and kalkwasser. its about 40 ft from my sump. been running 12 years straight no problems, cant beat that.

slief
03/18/2011, 01:52 PM
I use my Apex controller. I would argue it to be the best solution as I have multipe float switches wired together for redundancy as well as normally closed solenoids to insure that it doesnt overfill.

That said, most of the autotop offs work as advertised. I use dosing pumps for my ATO. They dont work well with the JBJ as the JBJ will only stay on for about 15 minutes if memory serves me and that not enough time for most dosing pumps to adequetly bring the level up. A regular pump or submersible is a better solution with a JBJ. If I were to top off not using my controller, I would probably spend the extra money on the Tunze as I think its the best dedicated top off out there.

The genisis is another story as that will also support automated water changes like the Litermeter. That said, the Litermeter is another great solution for top off. Spectrapure has a great solution for that which works as a standalone device or in conjunction with the Litermeter 3.

CreativeGuy
03/18/2011, 08:49 PM
Does anyone use the Dialyseas unit for their ATO and how do they find it?

rysher
03/18/2011, 08:53 PM
http://autotopoff.com/custom/

i'll spend the extra 50 and get a tunze.

Mike31154
03/18/2011, 08:56 PM
I use a 7gal glass wine carboy sitting on a stand next to my 77gal display (sumpless) as my ATO container. It is pressurized by a small air pump on a timer. The air pressure pushes the water out of the carboy, through a mechanical float valve into my display. Keeps the system topped up for close to 7 days. Simpler the better I say. If I could do it by gravity feed through the float valve I would. I will be doing that with a future build with basement sump.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pHlmxA6KhjNZ5a3XUKrB2gvCabCpNH284HjKuD6Naubsw81fwWmaWGtlA6vj03fgOyon9eViu-E2r1aP-yZR-3g/Carboy.JPG?psid=1

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pokHaflPudkYqJ8UjnZtDuuiHwti_i22Ylxpu3TjE6tM4TglxUW1OlBN9oiaEnZLIHSH88GNZAOORYImbgGdZ7Q/FloatValve.JPG?psid=1

MentalNote
03/18/2011, 09:32 PM
It is a little expensive but I highly recommend tunze.

BFG
03/19/2011, 08:05 AM
+1 on the Tunze Osmolator. Paired it with a kalkwasser reactor to handle my top off. The Tunze Osmolator has a built in alarm to tell you if your water volume suddenly increase for whatever reason. Built with 2 sensor, a float sensor and a infra red sensor. Still in operation for about 5 years for my 120g. Fix and forget equipment once all the placement are made.

goofball310
03/19/2011, 10:04 AM
Does anyone use the Dialyseas unit for their ATO and how do they find it?

I used the Dialyseas and it is by far the best water filtration unit/ATO, and water change unit on the market but is not cheap. I would only recommend the the Dialyseas to people that don't have time to keep up with regular maintenance on their tanks. I spend 70% of the year on the road and I don't have time to check on my tanks parameters, do water changes, and fill ATO reservoirs so I try to make my tanks as automated as possible. With the Dialyseas I'm able to to keep a beautiful tank with very little maintenance required from me.

When I came home I check my Ca, Alk, and Mg to see if I needed to up or lower my dosing, clean the glass, and refill my salt container for the Dialyseas. The temp, pH, and skimmer head cleaner were controlled by an Apex controller and the Dialyseas took care of my water filtration, ATO, water changes, and salinity. I hadn't done a water change or made new saltwater in over 2 years before I finally tore down my system.

I recently purchased a Dialyseas Model 2 mini in the used equipment forum that I'm going to try and utilize on new 150 gal build. I'm still in the early purchasing phase of my build, but plan on starting a build thread in 6-7 months. When I build a system it tends to go very slow because I'm on the road a lot and amount of money spent on automated equipment.

There are the few people that have never owned the unit that always complain that they could do it cheaper with dosing pumps, but they are incorrect. There are a few things that the dosing pumps can't do that they Dialyseas can:

Litermeter/GHL dosing pumps can't correct your salinity.... The Dialyseas will raise or lower your salinity to get it back to your set optimal range.

They don't filter your water... The Dialyseas filters all the bad & good out of your water and replaces it with fresh saltwater

They require huge containers to store fresh RO/DI & saltwater.... The Dialyseas only needs a bucket of salt.

Doser still require you to fill the containers with freshly made RO/DI and Saltwater.... The Dialyseas once again only needs a bucket of salt.

More info can be found here:

http://www.seavisions.com/prod02.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/pr/index.php

and here is a TOTM with it:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php

fbskiracer
04/08/2012, 09:33 AM
I used the Dialyseas...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php

Any update on the dialyseas Mini setup?

jermahin
04/26/2012, 03:54 PM
Had the JBJ ATO until one of the float valves stuck and it proceeded to dump 7-8 gallons into my system before it finally turned off. Just ordered the Tunze Osmolator. Twice the price, but worth it in piece of mind. I hope. If you go with the JBJ. Don't use a high volume pump and plan on replacing the float valves regularly. I attempted to use a Aqua-lift Pump once to minimize water flow, but it would time out before the water would get high enough to trigger the float valve.

jmvaldes80
04/28/2012, 09:25 PM
+1 for jbj ato and aqualifter pump. Love that aqualifter, 12 bucks for that pump, and it works wonderful.

Boa1277
04/28/2012, 09:44 PM
Tunze works very very well for me the overall design is fantastic I really like the pump sizefits in my 5 gallon bottle openings and works great

TucanSam007
04/28/2012, 10:20 PM
Osmolator, though I do control it with my Apex, thats the best option.