PDA

View Full Version : 40b for sump

Thekingy
03/17/2011, 09:07 AM
Getting ready to start my 75 inwall and I need to build my sump. I'll be using a 40b my question is what dimensions should the baffles be? Ill be using a mag drive 9.5 for return I also plan on a fuge section, still trying to decide what skimmer to get. I'll most likely use acrylic for the baffles, should they fit snug in the sump or should I leave a slight gap I don't want to put to much presure on the sides of the sump. This will be my first time building a sump, all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thekingy
03/17/2011, 10:41 AM
Anyone?

reefermad619
03/17/2011, 12:34 PM
I would use glass baffles for a glass sump. Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic. The acrylic will work and lots of people use it, I just prefer glass. If you use acrylic I would leave about a 1/8" of clearance on each side, so 1/4" total, shorter than the width of the tank. Fill the rest in with silicone. Baffle height needs to be determined by skimmer. I always like to make my skimmer section 2-3" higher than need to I can play with the height til I find one that works best. The skimmer can always be placed on a platform of somekind. Fuge: bigger is always better. They say the fuge should be at least 10% of total tank volume, but you also have to make sure you have enough room in the sump for a power down. GL.

skh
03/17/2011, 12:34 PM
This thread has what you're looking for:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774181&highlight=40b

You can search for "40b" in the DIY forum for additional info.

dibeezy
03/17/2011, 01:02 PM
You'll thank me for this tip! I use a 40 b sump. Use glass baffles, rtv 100 series silicone (grainger). Run a thin bead on the edge( sides and bottom) of your baffles and let them cue overnight. Those baffles will hug the sides of the aquarium like they haven't seen each other since the glass shop! I've made about a dozen sumps (not alot) but after i received those basic instructions 2 sumps ago, I'll never buy a sump again. Happy reefing.