PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor.

Allmost
03/17/2011, 12:11 PM
Hello,
is it possible to run a CA RX without PH probes ? Im planning to just measure the KH of the tank and make adjustments based on that ... would it work ?

secondly, would you say CA RX is more natural way of providing CA++ and carbonates to a reef tank over 2-3 part ?

Ive been using 3 part for years with no Issues, but starting to think CA RX is a more natural and balanced way ... (plus the less headache of mixing.)

thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/17/2011, 12:55 PM
Sure, many people run them without pH probes. pH probes are most useful for initially getting them going, but many people control them only with valves that control the CO2 addition rate. But it will likely take more time and fiddling with things.

Measuring alk in the effluent can also provide some of the infomation that is helpful.

This article may help. In it, you'd just be skipping step 2.

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Allmost
03/17/2011, 01:16 PM
Thank you Randy :)

I read that article but thought all those steps are needed :) great to know.

now I can make my cheap side happy and not get 2 PH probes, and also reduce the testing errors lol cause I know I will be doubting PH probes all the time if I do go with that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/17/2011, 01:22 PM
Do you measure aquarium pH now?

would you say CA RX is more natural way of providing CA++ and carbonates to a reef tank over 2-3 part ?

It is closer to the reverse of the calcification process, certainly, but in the end I do not know if that is important.

Allmost
03/17/2011, 01:26 PM
yes I do, with a PH probe, and it is just about 8.0 (winter and closed doors I am assuming is lowering this) but I have problems believing this, as many things can effects its readings ... electrical interference in the sump area being the biggest noise factor.

I Will keep the Ph Probe and will test the aquarium PH daily to be sure still in range, but hoping to eliminate the need for a PH controller to turn CO2 on and off.

thank you again.

I consider myself a noob when it comes to CA RX, so besides a CA RX and CO2 and ... would you recommend any other equipments ? (system size is 180 Gallons, SPS only)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/17/2011, 03:22 PM
So you can use that probe for the initial setup. :)

I don't have any other specific equipment recommendations.

Allmost
03/17/2011, 03:30 PM
Really appreciate clearing up the Issue :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/18/2011, 07:39 AM
Of course you'll need a fine valve of some sort to control the CO2. :)

David Grigor
03/18/2011, 08:20 AM
I ran a CA reactor for about 8 years and never used a pH probe to tune the reactor. Ran the bubble count and effluent rate the same 24/7, no turning on/off.

Measured the ALK of the effluent vs. the tank. After a while for my tank, I was able to identify that the effluent is 25dkh then it was pretty dialed in and able to maintain my system. That number though will vary, just gave it as an example.

pH controller can be useful to detect a needle valve failure and turn the solenoid off but shouldn't be required for day to day operation.

EasyEd77
03/18/2011, 08:35 AM
I would get a controller, not because you need one but because they are a nice safety backup. If for some reason the effluent gets a clog and slows down flow it will send the PH inside the reactor way down. This will make a mess of your media and could also cause harm in your aquarium if you are out of town for a few days or longer. I don't rely on my controller, but it does give me piece of mind.

tmz
03/18/2011, 10:04 AM
I placed the the controller probe in the tank as a safety. If the tank ph dropped below a predetermined critical point the solenoid would close stopping the CO2 flow to the reactor.
The reactor was tuned in by measuring and adjusting the volume of effluent flow and the effluent ph via the needle valve control /bubble counter for CO2.In about 5 years of use it held very steady.

While the Ca reactor won't add the extra chloride calcium chloride will, I don't think this is a significant difference given water changes overtime or other offsets to keep the sufate/ chloride ratio in a reasonable range.
On the other hand, whatever is bound in the media dissolved in a reactor including impurities sunk in the calcium carbonate will be dosed.

Personally, I prefer limewater dosing.