PDA

View Full Version : How much do you feed?

psusocr
03/17/2011, 12:26 PM
Considering some of the larger tanks have well over 20-40 fish in them, being large and small fish, how much do you feed your fish? how many times a day? what are you feeding?

Sometimes i think i overfeed, sometimes i think i underfeed? IT would be great to hear everyones opinions.:spin1:

d3hree
03/17/2011, 01:44 PM
I think the amount of food or frequency of feedings is much dictated to by the species of fish you have so possibly everyone will feed their tank differently.
Anthias and chromis for example have high metabolic rates so small feeds often throughout the day would suit them.
Aggression can sometimes be diminished by regular feeds too as territorial fights are often put down to abundance of food.
Coral nipping also is reduced by regular feeds with some species.
On the whole I feed small amounts often, at any one feed if there is still food in the water column after about 30 seconds I feel I am feeding too much and reduce the amounts.

psusocr
03/17/2011, 07:10 PM
I think the amount of food or frequency of feedings is much dictated to by the species of fish you have so possibly everyone will feed their tank differently.
Anthias and chromis for example have high metabolic rates so small feeds often throughout the day would suit them.
Aggression can sometimes be diminished by regular feeds too as territorial fights are often put down to abundance of food.
Coral nipping also is reduced by regular feeds with some species.
On the whole I feed small amounts often, at any one feed if there is still food in the water column after about 30 seconds I feel I am feeding too much and reduce the amounts.

i agree about the species point you made. I also like the rule you use pertaining to food left in the water column after 30 seconds, perhaps i will give that a try.

caliking
03/17/2011, 07:13 PM
I make my own reef food. I feed a lot, real heavy, about 2 or 3xs a day. I have about 15 fish in my 240gl.

Omega_rains
03/17/2011, 07:31 PM
Mine is like county they get 3 squares a day - I have an abundance of tangs though.

funnyguyMI
03/18/2011, 07:44 AM
Wow, you guys feed a LOT more than me.. Maybe that's why my fish are nippy..

psusocr
03/18/2011, 08:56 AM
ITs great to hear everyones opinions especially on larger tanks