PDA

View Full Version : Vase heat problem...

SSpiro
03/17/2011, 01:45 PM
Working on my vase tank, using LED lights. Having issues with heat.. by end of day, im averaging 80-82 degrees. 84 degrees one day when we had the AC up because of being out all day.

Any thoughts on how to control? I really dont want to use a fan, but might not have a choice :(

geldof
03/17/2011, 04:34 PM
Try putting a pump at the surface so it is agitated as much as possible without spilling over the side. This will aid in evaporative cooling, though you'll need to top off more often. Also, maybe your lights are too close to the surface. Try raising them up at least 7" above the vase and leave an open area for air flow. Make sure you are not using crappy powerheads/pumps that overheat. Keep the vase away from windows any direct source of sunlight or warm areas of the house. Hope some of these ideas help.

cody6766
03/17/2011, 05:03 PM
Keep critters that can handle it? Softies can usually take temp swings like that better than more sensitive coral. Shy of fans or lower wattage equipment in the jar, I can't think of another cooling method.

map95003
03/17/2011, 06:48 PM
Don't remember if you're running a sump, this is one of the main reasons I drilled my vase, I knew there would be heat issues in the summer. If you're running a sump put a fan on it. I think you got the same BoostLED as the one I'm using, raise it off the surface a bit

saltjohnswharf
03/18/2011, 10:09 AM
I am siding with Geldof. Surface agitation is going to help. If possible move it to an interior wall corner or if you have a brick wall in your home move it to that wall. Will help.

dogstar74
03/18/2011, 11:47 AM
The lights are probably contributing less to the water temp than the pump that circulates the water. Try some of the more expensive pumps that use far less wattage than the cheaper pumps. Wattage of power use is converted into either mechanical energy (water movement) or thermal energy (heating up the environment) There can be no escape from this physical Law. Thus if the pump uses too many watts, it will excrete more thermal energy. I don't think your lights are the problem.

Cheers,
Aaron

KafudaFish
03/18/2011, 11:52 AM
You could also use a piece of marble as a base. It maybe enough to lower the temps a degree or 3.

brandon429
03/18/2011, 01:50 PM
80 would be the max temp I would start to control the heat.

not sure what kind of vase you have we need pics to tell. if its an airstone powered one that puts no heat in the water column then your problem is ambient room temps, an airstone vase with decent light spacing runs at room temperature. Mine has about 30 watts of pc power which is really hot around a 1 gallon, and does not run above room temp. if my house is 78, so is the vase. if the house goes to 72, my submersible heater (100 watts) kicks on as soon as she dips to 77 and brings it right back up. With pics and a log of your internal room temps it can be fixed. if your vase has a lid, fanning it won't hurt anything I have done it before.