PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur denitrator in a coppered tank?

ayrton
03/17/2011, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately I need to copper (Cupramine) my 500 gls display tank beacause of ich outbreak and I am running a sulphur denitrator on the system; so I’m wondering if you are aware of any toxic reactions which may occur when copper is mixed with the sulphur in the low ph of the reaction chamber. In this case I'll take it out the tank!
Tia
Lorenzo

bertoni
03/17/2011, 06:08 PM
I haven't heard that the sulfur denitrator could be an issue with copper dosing, although I suppose it might kill some of the bacteria. Do you have an ORP probe in the reaction chamber?

ayrton
03/18/2011, 11:23 AM
No, I haven't!

ayrton
03/18/2011, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately I need to copper (Cupramine) my 500 gls display tank beacause of ich outbreak and I am running a sulphur denitrator on the system; so I’m wondering if you are aware of any toxic reactions which may occur when copper is mixed with the sulphur in the low ph of the reaction chamber. In this case I'll take it out the tank! What do you think about it?
Tia
Lorenzo

bertoni
03/18/2011, 04:39 PM
I'd probably disconnect the reactor, out of general caution. I've never heard of anyone using copper on a tank with a reactor. I have no idea what might happen, if anything, but better safe than sorry, IMO.

Boomer
03/18/2011, 05:57 PM
Jon

The issue may be it altering the Cupramine and maybe yielding Copper Sulfate, which is very soluble. You can not run Copper Sulfate levels as high as Cupramine, as Cupramine is "protected" like a Chelate.

bertoni
03/18/2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks! Would that be due to bacterial action, or the pH?

Boomer
03/18/2011, 06:09 PM
I do not know Jon but I do not like the idea of Cupramine running through a DN and do not want him to chance it by saying it is just fine to do it and then him having some bad issues. :)

ayrton
03/18/2011, 08:01 PM
Ok guys, thanks for your support, I'll take the denitrator out of the sump!

bertoni
03/18/2011, 08:56 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!

tmz
03/19/2011, 01:37 AM
I agree and would personally take the denitrator off line .

I'd worry about the possibility of low ph and/or bacterial activity freeing bound copper .

Further, the media in the reactor may adsorb some of the medication,particularly if the reactor employs a pass through chamber of calcium carbonate or media for extra surface area mixed with the sulfur as some do. Don't know if the sulfur or by products( sufate, or produced organics C5H7O2)) would adsorb any.