PDA

View Full Version : RODI Units

lionfish_shane
03/17/2011, 06:46 PM
What kind of RODI units do yall use?

Any thoughts or input on the Typhoon 5 stage unit?

Here is the what comes with it.....

This unit can be used on city or well supply water. All filters are standard size.Stage 1 - Heavy duty, standard industry size 10 micron Poly Pro Sediment filter.Stage 2 - 5 micron acid washed* Gem coconut carbon block filter, removing 98-99% of chlorine.Stage 3 - 1 micron acid washed* Gem coconut carbon block filter, that removes the remaining chemicals and chlorine. Stage 4 - 75 GPD FilmTec membrane** removing up to 98% of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) Stage 5 - A full sized, high capacity, re-usable D.I. cartridge. This vertical color changing D.I. cartridge removes remaining TDS missed by the FilmTec membrane. As the resin is used the color changes. Once the color change is complete you simply install a new cartridge or buy our bulk resin and refill it. This is a mixed bed D.I. of both Anion & Cation resins.

Acid washing assures purity and excellent flow rate.** FilmTec provides a three-year limited warranty. Please contact us for more information.

Standard Features: High capacity, color changing vertical mixed bed D.I. cartridge.Filmtec 75 GPD TFC.Poly Pro sediment filter, you choose micron rating: 10, 5, 1 we default to 10 micronTwo high capacity, acid washed Gem roasted coconut husk carbon block filters. Again you can choose either 10, 5, 1, or 0.5 micron . We default to 5 1 micronAll first class installation hardware, including an extremely sturdy extruded clamp style SV-6 water supply valve, drain saddle, 2) in-line ball valves, and 24 feet of 1/4" tubing. We even include the filter wrench.Push-in fittings, eliminating the need for tools, Teflon tape, or glue.Pure water valve.Shut-off valve.

Which microns would I want to use? Or is their deafault settings ok?
Thanks for any advice and input.

Michael
03/18/2011, 07:05 AM
I use a RO-Man 4 stage filter, Not sure if you get them over your side of the pond though.

Also Im not familliar with your unit, however the default would be ok I would presume, you may have to run 5 gallons through it before connecting the DI.

mcoomer
03/18/2011, 08:50 AM
I'd say that the defaults will do just fine. What are you paying for that unit? Look around at other 5 stage units and make sure that the price is in line with those. Obviously you want to get a unit that is well constructed but don't pay a premium for one of these units because even a budget model can produce usable water if you keep up with filter maintenance/replacement.

Mike

davocean
03/18/2011, 09:42 AM
I just saw on marine depot site the spectrapure maxcap 90g per day on sale for $249 free shipping.
If I were to buy a new RO/DI right now that's what I would get.

lionfish_shane
03/18/2011, 10:03 AM
mcoomer, that unit is 149.95 +shipping from air water ice . com

pkirby
03/18/2011, 10:50 AM
I'd check out thefilterguyz dot biz ... OCEAN REEF + 1 system. You get a lot for $200 + shipping and my unit works great!

There are plenty of RODI units out there... one feature I didn't see listed in the one you're looking at was in-line TDS meters. Personally, I really like this feature. It can be added easily enough to this system though...

mcoomer
03/18/2011, 11:18 AM
I'd check out thefilterguyz dot biz ... OCEAN REEF + 1 system. You get a lot for $200 + shipping and my unit works great!

There are plenty of RODI units out there... one feature I didn't see listed in the one you're looking at was in-line TDS meters. Personally, I really like this feature. It can be added easily enough to this system though...

Didn't even notice that there was no TDS mentioned. Kirby is right though, a TDS and pressure meter are great add ons for a RODI.

Mike

lionfish_shane
03/18/2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had thought about the TDS but not the pressure gauge. I will check on those too.

bamf25
03/18/2011, 12:09 PM
Bulk Reef Supply five stage plus 75 gpd with the added watersaver so close to 150 gpd. All for about $230. It includes a dual TDS meter as well as a pressure gauge, and a flush valve.

MattinIdaho
03/18/2011, 01:13 PM
Bulk Reef Supply five stage plus 75 gpd with the added watersaver so close to 150 gpd. All for about $230. It includes a dual TDS meter as well as a pressure gauge, and a flush valve.

That's the same setup I own and will be running. Was recommended to me by a friend who loves his.

Lynnmw1208
03/18/2011, 01:21 PM
I have the bulk reef supply 4 stage and I love it! I would've gone for the 5, but money is tight so I opted for the more economical choice.

AquaMore
03/18/2011, 01:25 PM
I have the bulk reef supply 4 stage and I love it! I would've gone for the 5, but money is tight so I opted for the more economical choice.

does anyone actually see any noticeable difference between 4 stage and 5?

Bigdaddy_wood
03/18/2011, 07:06 PM
I called the culligan man, there 30gpd unit