PDA

View Full Version : Another 250w SE MH bulb opinion RF20k 14kPH... but not radium

schoolisbad1
03/17/2011, 07:31 PM
Hey guys I figured id plague these boards with another MH opinion help thread. Bulb choice means we got to live with it for 8 months or so.
I have 250w electronic icecap ballast. I have all SPS besides a few zoas. I have a 454vho bulb and super actinic vho bulb as supplements. Yet I run only the MH by itself a good portion of the day.

I have had a radium, and the color is just way too blue, which the electronic ballast i think is the cause. I don't want to buy a new ballast to give a radiums another try, So cancel out Radiums.

12k Reeflux, liked these bulbs but too dim for my taste.

10k Reeflux, crisp white, really bright, great growth, but need some more blue/pop

I was reading about the 250se 20k reeflux and got excited, then read about hey they have a problem yellowing after 5-6 months. A brighter style 12k reeflux sounds great if it keeps the good colors.

14k phoenix 14k seems to be the best option, i hear all good reviews, but feel most people doing reviews are softy, lps guys. Not sure about coloration on SPS lots of blue not much actinic? .

There's a few odds and ends, elos megachromes, ushio 20ks... that I can't find anyone super happy with

Sorry for the another post much like others! thanks for your responses!

BADGUS
03/17/2011, 08:03 PM
You might wanna stick to a bulb that is NOT HQI rated,that way you will be happier.The Megachrome series bulbs are nice crisp white with a very slight blue tint,and they work great with an e-ballast.

schoolisbad1
03/17/2011, 09:12 PM
hqi rated....... means that they are safe to be overdriven on a hqi ballast?- guessing. what does HQI rated mean?

schoolisbad1
03/17/2011, 10:21 PM
so does anyone have suggestions for a SE 250w 14kish bulb, that is best used with a icecap electronic ballast

mattiej
03/18/2011, 06:11 AM
I am in much the same boat and was told both Phoenix 14K and Hamilton 14K were good bulbs on e ballasts. I will probably try the Phoenix.

mr.automatic
03/18/2011, 06:47 AM
I will be receiving my Icecap 250w ballast along with the pheonix SE 14k bulb and lumen max 2 reflector today, but i have a softy/lps tank ... probably going to do some testing this weekend and will try to get pics, but again not much help with the SPS.

schoolisbad1
03/18/2011, 11:31 AM
Yea if you could post pictures it would be helpful, thanks for the response. As of this second I am thinking the Reeflux 20k, hopefully they fixed the yellowing colorshift they were having after a few months. I asked hellolights for there opinion. So reeflux 20k or 14k pheonix. I'll look forward to seeing some pics!

goetzc
03/18/2011, 12:19 PM
Prior to running the radiums I'm running now I ran Hamilton 14k on icecap ballasts and really like the color and sps growth. I supplemented with two actinic T5s and liked it a lot.

smokenax
03/18/2011, 03:23 PM
I've been using DE EVC 20k bulbs on a electronic icecap 250w with great results ,color is a crisp white blue much brighter than a radium.

smariner
05/02/2011, 11:00 AM
Yes, the EVC 20K DE and SE has the same inner element and run the same output and colors.

Hope this helps,
Chad D. Bryant