PDA

View Full Version : Looking for skimmer recomendations

agent007
03/17/2011, 10:32 PM
I have a 6 year old MCE600 Deltec HOB protein skimmer. It still produces a lot of skimmate, as it should, but over the years it has started to get a little too noisy.

I have been very happy with it up until this point but I can't take the noise.
* Yes I do clean it *

Does anyone have any suggestions for sit-in-sump protein skimmers? That should help keep ambient pump noise down. I am look for reliability, quiteness, and efficiency. It should support a tank system between 100 to 180gal. Sump space for skimmer is 8"x13".

Should I stick with Deltec? Does Eheim make good skimmers? I am open to other suggestions so long as they meet my requirements.

Thanks

:hammer:

goofball310
03/18/2011, 08:36 AM
If you are really happy with the skimmer then you should just look into replacing the pump on your skimmer.

If you feel like it's time for a change then:

ATB
Vertex Alpha
Bubble King
Reef Octopus SRO or XP

These are the brands that I would personally recommend. You will have to research the models that fit your sump.

moondoggy4
03/18/2011, 12:25 PM
Eheim does not make skimmers. I wish they would . +1 on the list above so I guess trying to find one that fits. There is a upgrade for your skimmer I believe that they call it a Turbo Model.

SoLiD
03/18/2011, 01:12 PM
Many here are raving over the Super Reef Octopus 1000SSS and 2000SSS Skimmers. Also SWC Xtreme 120, 160, & 180 Cone Skimmers. These are all space saving in sump skimmers.

agent007
03/18/2011, 02:26 PM
Changing the pump makes sense but I am hoping to find an in-sump skimmer. I figure that should keep the noise level down quite a bit. If it produces less noise than my HOB Deltec, when it was new, then I will be very happy.

Zebodog
03/18/2011, 02:59 PM
Does the Aquabee pump in your Deltec have the noise dampening kit installed? I believe it's two rubber strips that fit on the bottom of the pump and a couple of updated grommets. You can also make a "muffler" for the air intake with an old film canister and a couple of pieces of airline - works very well.

With the muffler on the air intake, my MCE600 is close to silent.

Of course, if you have the cash you can find some decent in sump skimmers that will outperform the MCE600 for a fraction of the price.

ufoman420
03/18/2011, 04:16 PM
I have an asm g4 for my 170 gal and I love it. Produces great micro bubbles and a thick stinky skim. ewwww. But the better thing is once i set it, it is set. I can add 7 gallons for top off and it never goes up or down

reeftivo
03/18/2011, 04:29 PM
even without the dampening kit the 600 is pretty quiet. The most noise I ever got from mine was the air intake. I just couldn't stand having to always restart the aquabee and the intake venturi always had to be reamed out because it would clog. It "did" however, produce the nastiest smelling skimmate I've ever gotten from a skimmer though.

Just get an ATB 840 or 1050 and call it a day

the octos seem really good too, but many report alot of noise from the BB pumps. So you may want to get one with a modded sicce if you're afraid of noise.

check with Mojo on the Q & A thread to see what he may recommend. He's built and used many.

Good luck!

alanbates12
03/18/2011, 04:52 PM
I just got an Octopus XS 200. I have a video of it under this thread and you can see how quite it is. Although I may have went with a skimmer from Reef Dynamics , INS135 Protein Skimmer. You can see a video on you tube thats very interesting and may help you to better choose a skimmer, http://www.lafishguys.com/88-%20protein%20skimmer-01.htm

But dont get me wrong I really like my reef octopus and if you watch the video it is working really well. Good Luck.

agent007
03/19/2011, 03:53 PM
Yep, the pump I have has the rubber bushing: bottom and side. I am not sure about the grommet though. I checked out this link:
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/aquabee-pump-impeller-and-grommet-installation

I think I might have the old style grommet. I am going to pull mine apart today to clean it make sure everything is aligned. I usually do not lubricate it but according to the link it says that's a good idea. I'll give it a try. I GUESS if I can get this to run quietly again then I'll be happy again.

Do you know if the older pumps can be retro-fitted with the new grommets or do I have to buy a new pump?

I'll read up on the other recommendations also. Thanks a lot.

ron86hd
03/20/2011, 08:07 PM
Go Reef Octopus it's a great skimmer I love mine

cgauer5
03/20/2011, 11:02 PM
Just got rid of my Reef Octopus and put in a new Reef Dynamics 180 and I am blown away with how much better it performs.

SoLiD
03/21/2011, 12:25 AM
You're Not comparing it to the "New" & Improved "Super" Reef Octopus XP Skimmers with the new Bubble Blaster Pumps??? How does it stack up with that???

agent007
04/24/2011, 01:34 PM
Update:
I forgot just how expensive a good skimmer is. Fortunately, this forced me to look at what I have. I visited the Deltec web site, they have few articles on noise reduction and cleaning method. They also have an updated version of the impeller but that would require a whole new pump.

Anyway, I pulled out the pump gave it another cleaning and found that the back cover was loose. I took it off re-glued it. Took a small brush to as many of the small parts as possible. Put everything back together. Taking extra care to make sure the enamel rod was aligned. Now it sounds like when I first bought it. Not quiet, but the old familiar hum I have been used to.

Thank you all for you input. I guess I just wanted to buy a new skimmer more than I really needed one. The prices woke me up :)

sasharotty
04/24/2011, 02:18 PM
I have an asm g4 for my 170 gal and I love it. Produces great micro bubbles and a thick stinky skim. ewwww. But the better thing is once i set it, it is set. I can add 7 gallons for top off and it never goes up or down

Really??? When i had my g4x that thing would CONSTANTLY overflow.

Percula9
04/24/2011, 07:46 PM
Take a look at the Eshopps skimmers. Fairly inexpensive and work well.

wildman926
04/24/2011, 08:05 PM
Take a look at the Eshopps skimmers. Fairly inexpensive and work well.

PSK-100 on an 80 gallon. Added a silencer and drain tube. Best $120 spent!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Wifes%20custom%2080/final1.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Wifes%20custom%2080/final2.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Wifes%20custom%2080/psk100pump1.jpg